Walter Tatam: 'The Chocolate Soldier' [Attempted Assassination By Walnut Whip]

Timble2

Imaginary Person
I wonder if any public figure these days would fall for this one and eat something sent through the post without being absolutely sure where it came from?

Hitman tried 'death by chocolate'
A 1920s hitman tried to assassinate a senior policeman by sending him poisoned chocolates, records released by the National Archives have shown.

Walter Tatam laced walnut whip chocolates with weedkiller in a plot to kill Metropolitan Police commissioner Brigadier-General Sir William Horwood.

Sir William thought the chocolates were a gift from his daughter Beryl and ate them - but survived the poisoning.

He launched an investigation which eventually lead to Tatam's conviction.

Sir William had eaten the sweets - which arrived in a package at his office in November 1922 - after a hearty lunch of pork and apple sauce, bread and butter pudding and Guinness, the records showed.

Within minutes of eating them, he was in agony, and called for a glass of brandy to help control the pain.

His assistant Edith Drysdale insisted his condition had been caused by a musty walnut, but the police chief suspected foul play.

He inspected the package the poisoned chocolates had come in with his magnifying glass.

When he realised he may have been deliberately poisoned he said: "My God. Perhaps I have been doped!"

Sir William's investigation eventually found Tatam responsible for the attempted assassination.

He found Tatam had also targeted other leading police officers with chocolate eclairs laced with the poison.

The hitman's motive was never discovered, but he was charged with intent to commit murder.

In court he said he heard voices coming from hedges, and was found to be insane.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/4378599.stm

Published: 2005/03/24 11:31:54 GMT

© BBC MMV

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
So much here to enjoy. :)

a hearty lunch of pork and apple sauce, bread and butter pudding and Guinness
called for a glass of brandy to help control the pain.
His assistant Edith Drysdale insisted his condition had been caused by a musty walnut
He inspected the package the poisoned chocolates had come in with his magnifying glass
Best of all,
"My God. Perhaps I have been doped!"
Did the next attempt take the form of a tin of poisoned moustache wax? :lol:

Stormkhan

Justified & Ancient
Good gracious, Holmes! How do you do it?

The idea of a top policeman examining his choccies with a magnifying glass, suspicous frown on his face, is a real chuckle-maker!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Ahh, the Binghams. A famous British aristocratic family. Another of their titles is that of Lord Lucan. One Lord Lucan was jointly responsible for giving the Light Brigade the order to charge, and another disappeared in murky circumstances in 1974.

(Lord George Lucan, the 'Vanishing Earl', was eventually declared dead and his son succeeded to the title. There wasn't much else to inherit as his father had gambled it all away. The Dowager Countess died recently and left her money to cat charities instead of her children.)