• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wanted: Info On Author John Godwin

GhostofFort

Junior Acolyte
This may be not quite correct the place but wish to inquire about writer John Godwin. Godwin, born circa 1929 in Australia, I believe, is/was a longtime journalist, and a sometime-author of books on subjects of-interest to most here. He has possibly lived in both the UK, and USA at times. His titles include This Baffling World, (1968, I think, in the U.S.,) then re-issued as three paperbacks from Bantam Books in the mid-1970's, Occult America, 1972, U.S. Information on him seems difficult to locate. If anybody knows anything definite regarding him, I would be very grateful if people would let me know.

Mod note: @Ghost of Fort 's query moved here from Fortean Headlines. Frides

This may be not quite correct the place but wish to inquire about writer John Godwin. Godwin, born circa 1929 in Australia, I believe, is/was a longtime journalist, and a sometime-author of books on subjects of-interest to most here. He has possibly lived in both the UK, and USA at times. His titles include This Baffling World, (1968, I think, in the U.S.,) then re-issued as three paperbacks from Bantam Books in the mid-1970's, Occult America, 1972, U.S. Information on him seems difficult to locate. If anybody knows anything definite regarding him, I would be very grateful if people would let me know.

There are multiple authors named John Godwin. The one who was an Australian journalist and wrote This Baffling World is apparently deceased ...

John Godwin

John Godwin November 23, 1925-November 26, 2008

John was born in Silesia, and as a child moved with his family to Vienna, where they lived until emigrating to Australia in 1938. John attended Sydney University, after which he began his career as a journalist, first in Sydney, then in London. He worked as a crime reporter and as a foreign correspondent, in Europe and Asia, for Australian and British newspapers. Since 1962 he lived in San Francisco writing numerous magazine articles and authoring seven books ranging in subject matter from a history of Alcatraz to the changing mores of a changing society. John was known for his deep interest in, and great knowledge of, world history. He was a fascinating talker, stimulating and intriguing, a man of many parts, including kindness and loyalty. All who knew John will miss him very deeply. John is survived by his loving wife of twenty-two years, Arleen, and by his nephews, Peter Lewinsky (Diane Lewinsky) and Stephen Lewinsky (Katie Lewinsky), of Melbourne, Australia. A service will be held on Monday, December 8, at 3:00 p.m. at the Columbarium, 1 Loraine Court, San Francisco.

Published in San Francisco Chronicle on Dec. 5, 2008

SOURCE: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sfgate/obituary.aspx?n=john-godwin&pid=120957879

The birth / death dates cited above match this entry in the online Index to Science Fiction Anthologies and Collections:

GODWIN, JOHN (1925-2008) (chron.)
* The Devil in Devonshire, (ar) This Baffling World, John Godwin, Hart 1968

SOURCE: http://www.philsp.com/homeville/ISFAC/s123.htm

Sorry to learn this; my sympathies to his family, and all who knew the man. He indeed, sounded like a "good Joe," as say here. Godwin certainly did
well with those 1970's Bantam Books paperbacks of This Baffling World. I hope John has found out the answers to various things on the other side so many of us here are interested in.

Back