• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wanted: Info On Fortean-Related Authors / Editors

GhostofFort

Junior Acolyte
Since this appears to be the place to make inquiries about personages from the past who have made contributions to the Fortean world, let me ask about the status of anthologist/editor John Canning. Canning was born 28 July, 1920, Streatham, London, England, UK. He evidently was still on this side of life in 2018, but am unsure if that is still the case. Canning compiled such fiction and non-fiction anthologies as 50 Great Ghost Stories (1966, re-issued in the States in the 1970's by such publishers as Bell Publications, and Bonanza Book, among others; 50 Great Horror Stories, (1969), 50 Great Tales of Terror, circa 1971, 50 Strange Mysteries of the Sea, date uncertain, 50 Strange Stories of the Supernatural, date unsure, and others, as well as volumes on adventure stories, and the like. Many of his books on the unknown in particular, saw volumes in paperback from Bantam Books in the 1970's as well, which seem to have done quite well for him. Any information on Canning's status, or when he passed-over, if he has, will be most gratefully appreciated. He is on the edge of the century mark if still among the living, obviously.

I did wish to add a second fellow currently, Richard E. Mooney (sometimes his names is given as Richard L. Mooney,( b. 1926). Unsure of his nationality, evidently American, though. He contributed to mid-level works to ancient aliens writings in the footsteps on Eric von Daniken, Colony:Earth, (Fawcett/Fawcett Crest, I believe a part of Ballantine Books, now), first appeared in 1974, followed quickly by a slightly-better work, Gods of Air and Darkness (1975). The latter was re-issued in 2017 albeit in what seems to have been a considerably more-limited softcover edition. Would appreciate any data on the gentleman, as I have been unable to contact him. Many U.S. publishers such as Stein & Day come and go fairly-quickly as compared to those in the UK. I shall let the inquires rest for a time with Mr. Mooney here, as am following up leads on some others elsewhere.

Did want to mention just quickly that my requests aren't just from idle curiosity; I have an eventual project in-mind regarding various authors/editors, and the like who have been active, especially in 20th Century, in "Forteana."

It appears that Mr. Canning may well still be alive, although no possible addresses have surfaced yet. Here's hoping he sees 100, if is health is still at least reasonably decent, of course. Dementia and the like is no preferred way to cross-over, and I regret, it seems to be growing more common.

Stay safe, people, and it is very nice to find a forum where one feels welcome, I wish to add.

Back