• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wanting to be special

whiner

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Earlier on today myself and a friend were talking, she was telling me about somebody that she knows who classes herself as psychic, i said you never know, some people seem to be more in tune than others, My friend said i'll tell you what she is, she's one of these people that wants to be special and be noticed, not just average, and goes out of her way to seem strange. This got me thinking, she's probably right, how many times, have you read a posting on this forum and thought, i'll take that with a pinch of salt. Do we all just want to be noticed? I think so.

I think that. Indigo children and alien abductees.

However, I maintain that I'm a little psychic ;) nothing to write home about, though.

You can't see into another person's heart to detect his motives. I've been accused of, and punished for, perceived showing off by people I never tried to impress in my life, just for living and speaking and writing the way that came natural to me. Some people can't stand the idea of normal individual variation and will scorn absolutely anything, from disease to genius, as fake if it falls outside their perceived normal. Some people are obsessed with what other people think about them, and can't conceive that this isn't the number one priority for everybody, but aren't honest enough to admit it. Some people want to make themselves feel special by pointing out how other people are trying to be special.

If you must judge people, do it by their actions. Do they say something and stop and wait for you to be impressed? Do they only ever talk about the thing that supposedly makes them special, dragging it into conversations willy-nilly? Do they move quickly to one-up someone else with a similar trait, denigrating it or making superior claims? Then yeah, they're probably seeking attention.

You know what? They probably need it, too. If people would accept who they were, and love that person, they wouldn't need to pile on the outre behavior just to be noticed. A sense of humor, an open, accepting attitude, and polite honesty ("Really? You saw that in a dream? Did you write it down? Oh, next time you have a dream like that write it down, then you can prove it to skeptics.") will do them, and you, more good than writing them off as posers and trying to make them feel even worse about themselves.

H_James said:

However, I maintain that I'm a little psychic ;) nothing to write home about, though.

Perfectly phrased. Succinct. Special. 8)

escargot1 said:
H_James said:

Perfectly phrased. Succinct. Special. 8)

Can't speak for Indigo children, but I have known a few alien abductees and all I can say is that I feel sorry for them. The ones I interviewed, and then went on to get to know personally, suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder as a result of the incident. The incident was 100% real for them. It's a truly bizzare phenomenon.

I do think a lot of people define themselves as psychic and 'advanced' in order to bolster their ego. It's sad because it brings the whole field into disrepute. IMO, most people with true ability supress it because it comes at high personal cost.

To PeniG: You've hit the nail on the head, couldn't have said it better myself, so I won't!
:yeay:

Back