• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Warminster Wiltshire UFOs

Some video here of a public meeting at the time of the Warminster Thing in the 60s. 5th video down, the old film is at the beginning of title ~ Masterpiece at Cley Hill 9th July 2010.
http://www.cropcirclereporter.com/blog.cfm?page=3
This is not spam for that crop circle website. I was browsing the blog and hadn't heard of the Warminster Thing before. Thought the old film might be of interest here. Its just a minute or so.

DEAD LINK

Last edited:
Spam? No adverts for fitted kitchens, industrial chemicals, real estate in the Florida Everglades or ambulance chasing lawyers, no not spam. :lol:

Nice find. :)

This was the UFO story that got me interested in the subject at the tender age of 7. I was aware of incidents in America but suddenly they were here too!

UK town 'invaded by UFOs and eerie noises that killed flocks of birds and stopped cars'
IT STOPPED cars in their tracks, killed birds, terrified children and sparked reports of strange humming noises, tremors, lights, crop circles, UFOs, and even alien abductions - so just what did happen in a small leafy Wiltshire town?
By JON AUSTIN
PUBLISHED: 10:27, Wed, Sep 2, 2015 | UPDATED: 10:28, Wed, Sep 2, 2015
fb.png

Warminster-Main-602316.jpg
GORDONFAULKNER

The mysterious "Thing" stopped cars and killed birds
They flew over the top of the hill and Battlesbury Barracks where they stopped and hung there for about a minute. Then one shot out of the sky at a 90 degree angle at great speed before it was followed a minute or two later by the other three.

Warminster UFO author Kevin Goodman

Fifty years on and the people of Warminster still want answers over the mysterious outbreak of UFO sightings that propelled the country town in the south-west of England onto the national stage in the 1960s.

The Warminster case is one of the strangest cases of mass paranormal sightings cases registered in the UK.

Although strange phenomena were recorded in the area prior to 1965, it was in that year that the frequency of reports of mystery noises and sightings intensified.

On August 17, 1965, a "detonation noise" rocked houses on the town's Boreham Field housing estate before a "monstrous orange flame was seen in the sky, crackling and hissing".

There were also reports of strange sounds killing flocks of pigeons that year, as had also been claimed 12 months previously in 1964.

The phenomena then became known as the 'Warminster Thing' after scores of townspeople reported in late 1965 seeing an array of inexplicable sights in the sky, accompanies by noises and odd occurrences.

Full story here http://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...locks-birds-stopped-cars-Warminster-The-Thing

I used to have one or two books about Warminster by Shuttleworth - The Warminster Mystery and The Flying Saucerers.

I used to have one or two books about Warminster by Shuttleworth - The Warminster Mystery and The Flying Saucerers.

I borrowed them on a regular basis from my local library when I was a lad.

It does create a certain nostalgia for the time when books of signs and wonders could keep our imaginations on the boil for years!

These days a tale is just a tale until it's supported by a video and as soon as that turns up, it's debunked.

Local panics don't seem to generate the same excitement or throw up characters like Shuttleworth. We may be better informed but the world is a duller place. :cry:

I'm wondering why it's being said (as above) that "nothing has been reported over Warminster since the 70's"
Doesn't necessarily mean that nothing has taken place since then, it has - just hasn't been picked up as a serious UFO report is all!

I remember talk of the Warminster triangle way back then, but not a lot else.

I had a couple of Shuttleworth's books about the Warminster 'thing'.
It was interesting, but it didn't really go anywhere.

Program Note:

Two related / redundant threads in this ufology section ("Warminster" and "Warminster experiences") have now been merged into this one.

This happened one night sometime around 2005, or there about: I should add that I have a distant view towards the Warminster hills, around 37 miles:

One night, I opened my back door to place some recycle items into my bin, when I noticed what appeared to be a flare far off in the direction of Warminster.

I came back indoors, and went directly upstairs to get a better view of what it was that I had seen. The 'flare' seemed to be switching on-and-off like you would expect to see as a flare starts to extinguish, but noticed that it wasn't falling, or drifting down as you would normally expect to see, rather just moving around above the dark silhouetted hills.

It struck me as being pretty odd as after a while there appeared to be more than one, but eventually only one brightly lit object was in the air displaying a zig-zagging motion - and moving fairly quickly in a left/right motion for quite some time.

I went briskly downstairs to put out a few other items in the bin on the way, as I glanced over towards that direction and the orange light by now seemed to be moving my way - towards me (must have been moving pretty fast too), then it suddenly vanished from view.

So, after hanging around outside for about ten minutes or so, to see if anything else was going to appear (it didn't), so I turned around to come back inside the house, and for whatever reason happened to peer skyward. There directly over my head above was another brightly lit orange ball of light - a fuzzy (think that was the effect of it being a humid kind of night) edged ball of light, moving (at a steady speed) in the opposite direction to where I had first seen the others.

As I watched, it continued to fly on a straight course, then it started to make a turn slowly in a long wide continual slow arc, and as it continued on it met up with another same type of fuzzy brightly lit object flying directly in my direction, where upon pretty high above the valley below where I live the two objects met up flying side-by-side, and both proceeded to move up the valley in the direction of Cirencester. I never heard of anyone else reporting that they had witnessed this 'display' on that night.

Last edited:
Orange balls of light are usually chinese lanterns. Sometimes several are released at the same time.

Yes, I know 'Papo-furado;' I understand what you're saying as I've seen Chinese Lanterns on many occasions some years ago looking across the hills at night when that practice was far more prolific. But that's certainly - and most definitely not what I witnessed on that night.

Chinese Lanterns drift up and down, blink and flicker, then die out as they drift downwards, they certainly are not capable of zig-zagging at speed, or flying on there own accord in a definite long curved fly-past right overhead, especially when you consider that there journey begun some thirty odd miles away only some ten minutes or so ago from when I first spotted them that night!

Ten minutes would be a rather long duration for a chinese lantern. I'm curious to know how you know that the light originated thirty miles away.

Ten minutes would be a rather long duration for a chinese lantern. I'm curious to know how you know that the light originated thirty miles away.

Exactly! "How could a Chinese Lantern travel thirty odd miles in less than ten minutes on a calm night?"

I know for sure that the 'light/s' originated some thirty odd miles away because my first glimpse of 'it,' then 'them,' were at great distance - and in fact at first glance appearing to be very distant flares (very tiny lit orange coloured objects in the night sky).

I noted the exact position these objects were located by placing an eye-lined-up marker against one of my upstairs window glass. Then, the following morning, I took an compass bearing of the exact positional direction by using my field compass.

I noted that the particular hill in question (which I viewed at the time of seeing these things by using my binoculars) as being directly in front (North) of Warminster - which is the limitation of my direct horizon viewable panorama at the time this happened - as new houses now block part of my view today.

The distance ~ I worked out by using the compass angle bearing, online 'Google Map,' in conjunction with using my own maps all to make certain of it.

The distance ~ I worked out by using the compass angle bearing, online 'Google Map,' in conjunction with using my own maps all to make certain of it.
I'm still not clear on how you estimated the distance. You had the heading accurately, but there was no way to tell how far away it was when you first saw it. It may have been 100 miles, or five miles, or less.

While attending the recent Warminster conference I was reminded of the claims that the photo taken by Gordon Faulkner was said to be a hoax.This mirrors once again attempts to debunk impressive evidence such as the alien autopsy, crop circles and the Ed Walters photos with claims that the people responsible either hoaxed them or others did.
The alien autopsy was a hoax, of course, and so are the crop circles (almost certainly). And Ed Walters had a model in his attic. What is this- a list of famous hoaxes?

I'm still not clear on how you estimated the distance. You had the heading accurately, but there was no way to tell how far away it was when you first saw it. It may have been 100 miles, or five miles, or less.

No, your wrong on that - though I do see your point you are making quite rightly.

You see the 'lights' at that distance were moving upwards, and downwards, dropping below the Warminster skyline - but still kept in view, which meant that they were in front of the distant hill, not behind it, if they were at a greater distance they would have disappeared from my view altogether. If they were any closer, the lights would have been much larger, as one did not very long after initial first sighting. Also, the Binoculars I was using had to be set at there full focal length to see them at all clearly.

Hope that lets you understand why I have stated that I initially spotted them 'hovering' close to Warminster.

I still can't see how you could estimate the distance without knowing the size. If they were only as big as a chinese lantern, they could have been no more than a mile away when first spotted. It is even possible that they were both small and an alien spacecraft- we don't know how big these entities are.

Another thing I'm not clear about- reading the account, it seems as if you lost sight of the object(s) for a while; could there have been more than two? If so that might explain how the light lasted so long.

I'm thinking that these may have been an indeterminate number of sky lanterns of an unusual design, maybe a more expensive version (or a home-made variant). Every time I've seen lanterns myself they've looked subtly different- possibly the consequence of different designs. Since this happened near Warminster (which has a history of balloon-based hoax lights - see upthread) these objects may even have been deliberate hoaxes, some kind of drone or powered balloon.

I still can't see how you could estimate the distance without knowing the size. If they were only as big as a chinese lantern, they could have been no more than a mile away when first spotted. It is even possible that they were both small and an alien spacecraft- we don't know how big these entities are.

Another thing I'm not clear about- reading the account, it seems as if you lost sight of the object(s) for a while; could there have been more than two? If so that might explain how the light lasted so long.

I'm thinking that these may have been an indeterminate number of sky lanterns of an unusual design, maybe a more expensive version (or a home-made variant). Every time I've seen lanterns myself they've looked subtly different- possibly the consequence of different designs. Since this happened near Warminster (which has a history of balloon-based hoax lights - see upthread) these objects may even have been deliberate hoaxes, some kind of drone or powered balloon.

They (two of them) eventually arrived and flew directly overhead - they were quite large orange glowing objects *Alien Spacecraft... are your words not mine. I don't know what they were, apart from something I had not seen before.
*they could have been no more than a mile away when first spotted... once again your veiws, not mine.
*it seems as if you lost sight of the object(s) for a while; could there have been more than two? ... as I had already explained in my first entry, it all kicked off with several orange lights (even I assumed they were initially flares) but then there was one that began zig-zagging fast and widely, that one eventually blanked out for a short time, then it seemed to re-appear only noticed by chance directly above me, to be met by another directly over the valley below, then they both moved up the valley almost side-by-side.

I suspect you are for whatever reason trying to re-invent my account of what I witnessed on that night. I have written down what I can recall from that night, I can't prove it and you must be well aware of that, no-one could! With something like this, aiming to disprove it is easy given the strange circumstance in which I encountered the whole event - not only this one, but also another encounter some time after, which I am not going to try and explain here now - because you would simply not be able to accept it. End Of. But thanks' for your contribution; you have your own reasons I expect.

No; I'm trying to point out the uncertainty of various elements in your account. You cannot possibly know that this light was thirty miles away when you first saw it, unless you saw it pass in front of something thirty-one miles away and behind something twenty-nine miles away.

You cannot know that the object you saw later was the same one you saw earlier. Although the odds are quite good that it was the same object, the fact that it was shortly joined by another similar object puts this in some doubt.

Most witness accounts include some areas where there are potential observation errors; sometimes exploring those potential errors shows a possible explanation (or several).

No; I'm trying to point out the uncertainty of various elements in your account. You cannot possibly know that this light was thirty miles away when you first saw it, unless you saw it pass in front of something thirty-one miles away and behind something twenty-nine miles away.

You cannot know that the object you saw later was the same one you saw earlier. Although the odds are quite good that it was the same object, the fact that it was shortly joined by another similar object puts this in some doubt.

Most witness accounts include some areas where there are potential observation errors; sometimes exploring those potential errors shows a possible explanation (or several).
It is my account of what I saw - doesn't matter what you or anybody else makes of it, that was re-telling of my encounter... take it or leave it.

It is my account of what I saw - doesn't matter what you or anybody else makes of it, that was re-telling of my encounter... take it or leave it.
Fair enough... I hadn't seen that article before and thought it worth highlighting.

If I recall, our UFO became known as, 'the Thing'.

I've seen old footage from a contemporary town hall meeting, where it's demanded of the local council officials, 'We all want to know, what are you going to do about, "THE THING'?

:).

I've seen old footage from a contemporary town hall meeting, where it's demanded of the local council officials, 'We all want to know, what are you going to do about, "THE THING'?
This is surely the same footage Skinny mentions above - link not working though?

Back