• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Warminster Wiltshire UFOs

Came across this and wondered if it also might be of related interest:

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/2272418.wiltshires-ufo-secrets-revealed/
Thanks for that 'Justified & Ancient:'

This would have been at a time when general knowledge of Chinese Lanterns was just taking off (no pun intended - much!) so it's not surprising that people paid more attention to looking skyward after the initial reports came out, and of course with that, comes all the misunderstood stuff.

I was carrying out quite a lot of voluntary analysis of photographic evidence not so long ago; one in particular was of a mysterious looking farmyard anomaly - a ghostly form, caught in the frame of a security camera and highly flash lit, which was put out by a well known UFO organisation.

It was said to be some kind of phenomena. When I examined the photo closely over many days - by using various filters, and extracting what I could see and comparing etc, it turned out to be a bat which had flown right up close in front of the security camera - detail was very scant in the photograph as the whole image was of ghostly appearance. It took some time to work out the missing detail of the form and match it to this light-flooded photo of a bat caught in mid-flight chasing after a moth!
The UFO organisation refused to change or alter anything, even though the significance of the bat was so obvious once the same model was put side-by-side for comparison. I gave it up after that.

It took some time to work out the missing detail of the form and match it to this light-flooded photo of a bat caught in mid-flight chasing after a moth!
Would so love to see this!

Any chance that's possible?

Would so love to see this!

Any chance that's possible?

Thanks 'Justified & Ancient.'

I'd love to be able to post my findings of the 'Bat' detail photo analysis along to this forum, but because of possible copyright stuff (as it isn't my photograph) I cannot, and will not take that chance.

However, one way around it is that I can inform you that my voluntary work was handed over to the B.E.A.M.S. web pages - I don't know if they have since managed to re-open their webpage or not, but the title of the capture is listed as...

[July 07, 2017: The Marazion Visitation: UFO Captured in Farmyard, Cornwall, UK]

If you observe the photograph with a 'Bat' in mind, it should jump out at you after a while (the so-called light 'Orb' in the photograph is actually the Moth that the Bat is flying after) - hope that helps.

And should you be interested in having a look whilst on the B.E.A.M.S webpage at another photograph which is in my opinion at least, the best and most convincing photograph I've had the pleasure of working with to date ...

( ... You can check the new thread to which this second distinct topic was spun off:

'Rod' UFOs Over Machu Picchu
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/rod-ufos-over-machu-picchu.66062/ )

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to be able to post my findings of the 'Bat' detail photo analysis along to this forum, but because of possible copyright stuff (as it isn't my photograph) I cannot, and will not take that chance.
o miss it out altogether.
Respect.

Can't thank you enough for going to the trouble and reckon not alone.

Quick reply, will peruse rest later.

If you had shown me that photo and proclaim it was s UFO, I would have instantaneous responded, 'That's a bat mate'...

I know of such things because there is a protected bat colony just five minutes from here, residing underneath an old railway bridge, crossing the river Tweed.

I sometimes have to cross that bridge and at twilight.

It's running a gauntlet, with copious numbers of them whizzing about at head height.

Trust me, I've had enough, 'close encounters' to recognise one from a photo!

Great job - material like this is Ufology gold!

Profoundly helps in eternally trying trying to understand the overall perspective.

So.. the local UFO society disregarded your evidence?

Guess it's that perennial issue... if you're highlighting evidence which challenges fundamental beliefs...

...to quote Billy Connoly, "as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit"...

Respect.

Oh good grief... I can't thank you enough for that sensible - and very funny reply... you have my greatest respect for adding 'down-to-earth common sense, there's still some about then? Thanks' so much for your straight talking (like it very much) and
very much appreciated.
P.S. Not the local UFO Society, it was one of the most well known so-say top groups!

Last edited:
... However, one way around it is that I can inform you that my voluntary work was handed over to the B.E.A.M.S. web pages - I don't know if they have since managed to re-open their webpage or not, but the title of the capture is listed as...
[July 07, 2017: The Marazion Visitation: UFO Captured in Farmyard, Cornwall, UK]

Here's a link to the B.E.A.M.S. webpage of that title:

http://www.beamsinvestigations.org/July0717TheMarazionVisitationUFOCaptinFarmyardCornwall.html

It's running a gauntlet, with copious numbers of them whizzing about at head height.
It's a diversion, but the larger species can make a kind of soft 'woop' noise as they go over your head, just the wing-noise, but if it's dark enough not to be able to see the bat, it can startle one somewhat.

"Lighted railway carriages" are exactly like the descriptions of some of the UFOs seen in Australia in the '50s. Charlie Red Star also sometimes appeared as a lighted Ferris wheel type of object when seen up close, other times like a smudge of light in the distance, like the strange crown seen in 1903. Many of the descriptions like the cigar with lights at the ends are the type seen during the 19th century airship wave, and match many other sightings including some near nuclear facilities.

1990 documentary on the Warminster Thing.
I love the guy at 1:06:36 who tries to take a picture but gets zapped instead. The page and my device won't let me link to a specific point in a Youtube vid, unfortunately.

Last edited:
My grandmother used to go up Cley Hill some nights with others to watch for ufo's. She had quite a few of the Warminster UFO newsletters but when she got dementia she gave them all away to one of my mate's parents. Does anyone know if they're online anywhere?

My grandmother used to go up Cley Hill some nights with others to watch for ufo's. She had quite a few of the Warminster UFO newsletters but when she got dementia she gave them all away to one of my mate's parents. Does anyone know if they're online anywhere?

Do you recall any particulars - e.g., the title of the newsletter?

Reactions: Tin
Lovely Laura Rowton documents The Warminster Thing. Her videos are getting better all the time.
I wondered if there might be associations made with the crop circles, being centred on the same places in Wilts, but there is no mention.

eburacum said:
No; I'm trying to point out the uncertainty of various elements in your account. You cannot possibly know that this light was thirty miles away when you first saw it, unless you saw it pass in front of something thirty-one miles away and behind something twenty-nine miles away.

You cannot know that the object you saw later was the same one you saw earlier. Although the odds are quite good that it was the same object, the fact that it was shortly joined by another similar object puts this in some doubt.

Most witness accounts include some areas where there are potential observation errors; sometimes exploring those potential errors shows a possible explanation (or several).

'eburacum,' (just re-read what I'd sent in reply and thought it proper to add what I could to my account of what I saw.
The first sighting of the orange light/s I approximated distances because I could see that some of them had drifted down towards the dark hills in that area and actually dropped behind the silhouette, then reappeared and started zig-zagging. As its my horizon view that's how I knew whithin a few miles more-of-less which hills they were dropping and reappearing from and the distances generally. Alos the fact that the orange light grew larger the nearer it came over the valleys.
The single orange lit object was the same one I observed all the time up until it seemed to disappear just over the nearest valley ridge which is only a matter of a mile or so away from the view from my house.
It was only when I turned to look up and spot the one moving overhead that I realised this 'other-orange-object' was in the area also, it moved across the valley in a slow sweeping curve then linked-up with the first object that I spotted - and that was when I noticed that the first object had reappeared and that the object from overhead had joined up with the first object over the top of the valley to form one singular orange object which then travelled on up the valley until I could no longer see it no longer.

Interesting; thanks!

I'm intrigued about the last part of the sighting; when you say that the two lights joined together, did they merge into one light, or were there still two lights flying close together?

Apparently some lantern designs can last as long as 20-40 minutes, so these object may have been particularly expensive and unusual examples. On the other hand this happened near Warminster, where there have been deliberate hoaxes by various parties, so these objects may have been sophisticated drones or other devices intended to deceive.

Interesting; thanks!

I'm intrigued about the last part of the sighting; when you say that the two lights joined together, did they merge into one light, or were there still two lights flying close together?

Apparently some lantern designs can last as long as 20-40 minutes, so these object may have been particularly expensive and unusual examples. On the other hand this happened near Warminster, where there have been deliberate hoaxes by various parties, so these objects may have been sophisticated drones or other devices intended to deceive.
No 'eburacum,' the objects (orange lights) came together to form one object over the valley (almost overhead - less than quarter of a mile away above where I was stood. They did indeed merge into one orange light. The single object then moved along the valley at the same height, until I could no longer see it within my viewable limits.
*There is one question which I believe needs a scientific answer too - "why are reported orange spheres/orbs coloured orange?

Last edited:
*There is one question which I believe needs a scientific answer too - "why are reported orange spheres/orbs coloured orange?

The obvious answer that springs to mind is that most reported orange spheres/orbs are actually chinese lanterns, which generally appear orange, even when made from coloured paper.
images

That doesn't seem to explain your sighting, though.
------------
I note that the famous Hessdalen Lights are generally orange too. These mysterious lights have been analysed spectroscopically and appear to be due to plasma emissions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hessdalen_lights
although I suspect that some or most of these are misidentifications or hoaxes of some sort or another.
4270.jpg

Going back to Warminster, I heartily recommend this book for a nostalgic trip back to 1970s Ufology and a time when contact with nuts-and-bolts alien craft operating within our atmosphere and interacting with us puny humans seemed almost imminent:

"UFO WARMINSTER: Cradle of Contact​

I was born in Wiltshire, and lived in Warminster during the heady days of the 1970s, when the town was a flying saucer hotspot. I interacted with and observed the skywatchers who had come to look for UFOs on the local hills."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UFO-WARMIN...90572392X/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

A mate had a thing about the Warminster Triangle as it was called in our neck of
the woods, he would sleep out on one of the high spots in his Landrover, he had
a thing that if anything happened he didn't want the engine stopping, so I modified
the stop system, it was a Diesel so you had to pull a mechanical stop pull to stop
it it would carry on running till you did even with all the electrics off, he never reported
seeing anything though.
:dunno:

A mate had a thing about the Warminster Triangle as it was called in our neck of
the woods, he would sleep out on one of the high spots in his Landrover, he had
a thing that if anything happened he didn't want the engine stopping, so I modified
the stop system, it was a Diesel so you had to pull a mechanical stop pull to stop
it it would carry on running till you did even with all the electrics off, he never reported
seeing anything though.
:dunno:
Did he leave the engine running all night? A reminder if nothing else of how cheap petrol and diesel were back then...

I'm currently reading The Warminster Triangle by Ken Rogers. Great book, Rogers was a junior journalist at the time and has amassed a catalogue of Fortean phenomena here. Some chapters are better than others, and some accounts make me think riiiiight, but others are really chilling... there's a chapter "Mystery footsteps of the invisible walker" which is certainly thought-provoking, a short chapter on Phantom Black Dogs (folklore and placenames, no witness accounts unfortunately). A chapter about bizarre sound phenomena, and effects upon vehicles. It's not just a bunch of people sitting on hills and pointing at lights in the sky. Great stuff!

I'm currently reading The Warminster Triangle by Ken Rogers. Great book, Rogers was a junior journalist at the time and has amassed a catalogue of Fortean phenomena here. Some chapters are better than others, and some accounts make me think riiiiight, but others are really chilling... there's a chapter "Mystery footsteps of the invisible walker" which is certainly thought-provoking, a short chapter on Phantom Black Dogs (folklore and placenames, no witness accounts unfortunately). A chapter about bizarre sound phenomena, and effects upon vehicles. It's not just a bunch of people sitting on hills and pointing at lights in the sky. Great stuff!
Check out; 'Warminster Wiltshire UFOs' #78

Last edited:

The 'sound phenomena' were what kicked the whole thing off (and much later provided the hook for a local to claim he'd planted these ideas as a hoax).

I find it interesting that at the height of the 60s UFO wave there was a rash of 'road ghost' sightings, of the 'grey clad figure jumps in front of car' variety.

Back