• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Warning E-mails

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I am getting tired of receiving E-mails telling me "Do not open an e-mail which is titled... It will come from a friend. It will burn the entire contents of your C drive." etc... "Send it to everyone you know. It is better to receive this message 25 times than not receive it."

I'm not an I.T. expert, but neither am I a numpty. As far as I am aware it is impossible for a trojan or worm to 'burn' the entire contents of your drive. I know it must be fishing for E-mails, but people surely must panic and believe them to send them on?

Any of my personal E-mails go through Mozilla Thunderbird, other go through a seperate E-mail. If I don't recognise the sender on either account, I delete them.

Simples. ;)

It is possible for a virus to zap your inbox.
I got a virus once, and McAfee virus checker caught the virus. However - ironically - a bug in McAfee zapped the entire contents of my email folder.

Needless to say, I no longer use McAfee.

What this did show me was that it took just a bit of rogue code and a couple of seconds to remove all my email.

Back