• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Was Jesus Gay? And Other Offbeat Theories About Him

Some languges have different words for different types of love. ( I'm trying to remember exactly what C.S Lewis said in "The Four Loves" which I read years ago , but I can't!)
The phrase "The disciple whom Jesus loved" might simply translate as "The disciple who was Jesus' favourite", in which case John might have been favourite for totally non-sexual reasons .
His gospel is the most enigmatic -he may have been a cut above the others intellectually!

This whole suggestion is the most inane suggestion that I believe I have heard made in-regard to Jesus Christ. It is hardly worth even mentioning, but I will say I feel sorry for those who take such a notion seriously.

It could be amusing to make a collection of the most inane claims about Jesus. I remember some claim that he was using hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Believe what you will, of course. I can't help but feel sorry for those who are convinced that we came from some ape-like thing, and our only collective fate is a hole in the ground, or possibly residing in an urn.

I recall that someone asked Peter Cushing his views on essentially an after-life, I believe, and he replied that he accepted the truth as set forward in the New Testament, KJV of the Christian Bible. I try and do likewise, although I do not succeed terribly-well in many ways, at times, of course. I know there are a number in the "Ancient Astronaut" community who say Jesus was an ET himself - there was man named Robert L. Dione who wrote n 1970's, and expressed similar views. It seems to me such people must led what are, ultimately, some pretty damned hopeless lives.

I don't wish to denigrate anybody's religious views, but it is my own opinion this forum should make a half-hearted effort at the same courtesy. This question here is no doubt the dumbest thing I have ever heard suggested in-regards to (Jesus) Christ -even the Thor-Christ thread made a fractional amount of sense more than this.

Sad.

What, you never heard this term before? I suppose Ancient Aliens is more-common today, but this was around long ago.

In any event, if one cannot make at least a somewhat serious post, I would recommend n ot making nay at all, to everyone.

I don't wish to denigrate anybody's religious views

Good, please don't. This applies to everyone.

It is hardly worth even mentioning, but I will say I feel sorry for those who take such a notion seriously.

This is fine of course. There are hundreds of threads here, nobody demands that anyone should read all of them, let alone believe all of them. There is no reason to feel sorry for people who don't believe any of them; it is a close thing to denigrating their beliefs. See above.

Please note that posting on a thread doesn't mean the poster agrees with it or doesn't agree with it.

In any event, if one cannot make at least a somewhat serious post, I would recommend n ot making nay at all, to everyone.

Nope, that's not one of the forum rules, please don't try to limit what people can post. If a thread goes seriously off course then Mods will deal with it. If you have a problem with a particular post or poster then either use the ignore button or contact the Mods by PM.

Frideswide.

I remember some claim that he was using hallucinogenic mushrooms.

That was John M. Allegro, back in 1970, though his claim was not that Christ was a user but that he was the mushroom! The book was serialized in one of the Sunday papers here and I wolfed it down.

Over thirty years later, I acquired the paperback and penned a brief review for this Message Board.:hyper:

How about Jesus being bi? Seems more in keeping with his preachings of generosity.

Believe what you will, of course. I can't help but feel sorry for those who are convinced that we came from some ape-like thing, and our only collective fate is a hole in the ground, or possibly residing in an urn
I think it's amazing that we came from some ape-like thing. Much more interesting than some wizard making us and then demanding we be docile slaves.
Also death make us realise how amazing everything is in the first place. I always find the humanists to be much thoughtful than those who follow religion.

This question here is no doubt the dumbest thing I have ever heard suggested in-regards to (Jesus) Christ
As has been said, there are lots of dumb things said about lots of people. The trick is to discern between dumb things said about people and dumb things the person themselves did or said. There's a fair bit attributed to Christ himself, but far more has been said about him, and it's in that territory legends and distortions grow.

This question here is no doubt the dumbest thing I have ever heard suggested in-regards to (Jesus) Christ.

As a Catholic I of couse agree with you. And even an atheist would probably agree, because it is simply impossible in the historic context of Judea of those times. For historical accurate opinions on gay people, see Leviticus and Deuteronomy.

But as a Fortean I find that the more ludicrous the idea, the more interesting it is :)

even the Thor-Christ thread made a fractional amount of sense more than this..

What? Who came up with that? :)

I've seen books that claim: Jesus passion story = Caesar murder story. Very implausible, but very Fortean also.

@Mods: we cloud change the thread title to "Strange theories about Jesus".

Have just noticed this thread; a thought or two, for what worth... I'd venture to suggest that the notion of Jesus having possibly been sexually drawn to his own gender; is not necessarily a horrific one, even in a context of traditionalist and orthodox Christianity. That creed holds -- if I understand rightly -- that Jesus experienced at first-hand, all the hardships and temptations common to humanity -- "a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief"; but was unique in his total withstanding of all the temptations which beset him. Christianity would seem generally to agree that Jesus was subject to the sexual urges which are felt by the great majority of the human race; but -- with marrying not being on the agenda for him -- successfully resisted them, and spent his life in perfect celibacy. It seems usually taken for granted, that his sexual desires were of the "hetero" kind; however, it would seem to make sense for his putative "playing for the other team", not to make an essential difference here. I believe it is accurate to say that traditionalist Christians -- except for a few maniacs among them -- opine that people who are by nature homosexual, can become Christians and receive salvation in the afterlife; just, those people are not to act upon these desires which affect them.

I recall hearing some fifty years ago, of some Anglican clergymen at the "progressive" end of their church's spectrum; speculating then, in addresses to the public, that Jesus might imaginably indeed been homosexual -- in the context set out above: inclined thus, but resisting the urge. This could conceivably be seen as one more of the many ways in which he was among the world's outcasts and generally-perceived "wrong 'uns"; whom he tended to find more acceptable, than he found those in the self-righteous-respectable brigade. Some criticism was levelled then at those clergy, on the basis of reckoning that many of their hearers -- less intellectually sophisticated than the reverend gents doing the speaking -- would be liable to misinterpret, along the general lines of "Jesus was a flaming queen, fnar fnar"; and to follow that thought in various imaginable wrong directions.

I'd venture to suggest that the notion of Jesus having possibly been sexually drawn to his own gender; is not necessarily a horrific one, even in a context of traditionalist and orthodox Christianity.

Quite :)

There is a suggestion that Jesus was in fact married to Mary Magdalene. It's highly likely that he was married as he was of marriageable age and all men were expected to do their duty, so to speak. That doesn't indicate anything about his true sexuality, though. Also, he seemed to be away from home with his disciples a lot and only rarely met up with Mary. Bit of a delinquent husband - and there seems to be no mention of him fathering any children.

There is a suggestion that Jesus was in fact married to Mary Magdalene. It's highly likely that he was married as he was of marriageable age and all men were expected to do their duty, so to speak. That doesn't indicate anything about his true sexuality, though. Also, he seemed to be away from home with his disciples a lot and only rarely met up with Mary. Bit of a delinquent husband - and there seems to be no mention of him fathering any children.
You have clearly not read Dan Browns Da Vinci Code. Mary Magdalene was not a beard, Jesus was not homosexual and they had children. Simples!

You have clearly not read Dan Browns Da Vinci Code. Mary Magdalene was not a beard, Jesus was not homosexual and they had children. Simples!
I have read it. It's fiction.

Like a few of the FMB members posting here, I'm also a Christian. In answer to the thread title my contributions are:

- I don't know, and am unlikely to ever know

- Why would it even matter? Jesus said nothing about judging human sexual orientation. He had stuff to say about the morality of cheating in relationships but that could be taken as universal for all marriages.

Have just noticed this thread; a thought or two, for what worth... I'd venture to suggest that the notion of Jesus having possibly been sexually drawn to his own gender; is not necessarily a horrific one, even in a context of traditionalist and orthodox Christianity. That creed holds -- if I understand rightly -- that Jesus experienced at first-hand, all the hardships and temptations common to humanity -- "a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief"; but was unique in his total withstanding of all the temptations which beset him. Christianity would seem generally to agree that Jesus was subject to the sexual urges which are felt by the great majority of the human race; but -- with marrying not being on the agenda for him -- successfully resisted them, and spent his life in perfect celibacy. It seems usually taken for granted, that his sexual desires were of the "hetero" kind; however, it would seem to make sense for his putative "playing for the other team", not to make an essential difference here. I believe it is accurate to say that traditionalist Christians -- except for a few maniacs among them -- opine that people who are by nature homosexual, can become Christians and receive salvation in the afterlife; just, those people are not to act upon these desires which affect them.

I recall hearing some fifty years ago, of some Anglican clergymen at the "progressive" end of their church's spectrum; speculating then, in addresses to the public, that Jesus might imaginably indeed been homosexual -- in the context set out above: inclined thus, but resisting the urge. This could conceivably be seen as one more of the many ways in which he was among the world's outcasts and generally-perceived "wrong 'uns"; whom he tended to find more acceptable, than he found those in the self-righteous-respectable brigade. Some criticism was levelled then at those clergy, on the basis of reckoning that many of their hearers -- less intellectually sophisticated than the reverend gents doing the speaking -- would be liable to misinterpret, along the general lines of "Jesus was a flaming queen, fnar fnar"; and to follow that thought in various imaginable wrong directions.

Your post is so very eloquent, thank you!

Did Dan Brown come up with the idea of Jesus marrying and having kids or did he steal borrow it from elsewhere?

I'm sure I've heard it before... maybe in "Foucault's Pendulum"?

Is this thread's question founded on an opinion held by some people that non gay men are incapable of showing kindness stereotypically attributed to gay men more frequently than non gay men? .. and why do birds suddenly appear .. every time .. you are near?

Did Dan Brown come up with the idea of Jesus marrying and having kids or did he steal borrow it from elsewhere?

I'm sure I've heard it before... maybe in "Foucault's Pendulum"?
I meant to quote your post in my response above. Apologies for failing to do so

I first read that in The Holy Blood & The Holy Grail, as Tempest has said, which Dan Brown largely stole for his Da Vinci Code. It was suggested that the turning of water into wine was at his marriage celebration.

It was also suggested that they did have children & that Mary Magdalene escaped with them in a boat to Southern France where there are 'black madonnas' in various churches, and that the blood line exists to this day.

Could all be bollocks though. The whole Priory of Sion thing seemed to have been someone's prank.

I meant to quote your post in my response above. Apologies for failing to do so

I'm not angry, but I am very, very disappointed.

I also have a memory of one of the Monty Python team talking about the inspiration behind "The Life of Brian'. One of them (Terry Jones?), while at university maybe, had learned of another Jesus son of Joseph who had also been crucified about 60 years after the biblical Jesus.

I've just done a quick web search but can't find anything.

Reactions: Jim
Some languges have different words for different types of love. ( I'm trying to remember exactly what C.S Lewis said in "The Four Loves" which I read years ago , but I can't!)
The phrase "The disciple whom Jesus loved" might simply translate as "The disciple who was Jesus' favourite", in which case John might have been favourite for totally non-sexual reasons .
His gospel is the most enigmatic -he may have been a cut above the others intellectually!
Very well put, good point it's be easy to misinterpret these text by fundamentalist and atheists. I'll listen to both sides w/o rants, etc.

Back