• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Was Jesus Gay? And Other Offbeat Theories About Him

Dr Poo said:
Hook Innsmouth said:
What does it matter whether he was or not?

Well I think the point is that if Jesus turned out to be a little gay it would be used to great effect to (rightly , IMHO) attack the Christians Church's rather poor view of homosexuality.

plus it puts a whole new spin on the moment the curtain in the temple was torn in two. Jesus was probably just trying to replace it with some tasteful drapes or something.

Dr Poo said:
attack the Christians Church's rather poor view of homosexuality.

I'm sorry but can we be more specific when we attack religious bodies. I assume you mean the Roman Catholic Church, other denominations have different views of homosexuality and it would not do to tar everyone with the same brush.

Of course, if this revelation were true then it would probably cause a problem with the Islamic religion who see Jesus as a prophet.

Dr Poo said:
Hook Innsmouth said:

Well I think the point is that if Jesus turned out to be a little gay it would be used to great effect to (rightly , IMHO) attack the Christians Church's rather poor view of homosexuality.

Correct. Though I gotta admit a grin at the phrase "if Jesus turned out to be a little gay". :D

But to take the passage that Dr Poo quoted last page from The secret Gospel of Mark doesn't it (assuming, and it's a decent-sized if, it was indeed part of an expanded Markian text specifically meant for catchecuminates, not the general public) kinda sound not that different than some of the "sky-clad" rituals [umm, sorry if that's not the correct term] that initiates in a number of current pagan and/or wiccan groups take part in? Doesn't neccesarily mean we can infer anything about their sexuality either. Again, like the Shakespeare thing (sorry) there's a helluva lot of inference and speculation being touted as "incontravertible proof" that hangs on a few passages that can't exactly be described as equivical.

lopaka said:
Dr Poo said:
Hook Innsmouth said:

Correct. Though I gotta admit a grin at the phrase "if Jesus turned out to be a little gay". :D

Some people, myself included, would submit that the Jesus myth is not based upon the life of a flesh and blood individual, or at least, not one that we have any hope of ever identifying. This being the case, views on his sexuality are bound to change with the prevailing political / social climate. In the same way, I read on this here very message board that angels were only depicted as winged, illuminated beings from the middle-ages onwards, and prior to that were imagined to be rather different. In the same vein, the US Supreme Court can read the exact same words in the Constitution as meaning one thing in the 19th century and the complete opposite in the late 20th.

If you can do that to a written document, it's even easier to impose shifting cultural sensibilities upon the biography of an imagined man. One day the question of Jesus' sexuality might be thought of as entirely irrelevant, and no-one would be offended by the assertion he might have been gay. There is plainly no evidence either way.

rjm said:
Dr Poo said:
I assume you mean the Roman Catholic Church,
In which case whether he was or wasn't really is irrelevant and kind of a 'no brainer' if people hope to "use" it as some sort of argument against any homophobic catholic sentiment, given the Catholic theological understanding of the bible.

It's the oldest sock in the locker room and it doesn't stick.

alb said:
In Anciant Greece sexual relationships between older men and young boys was the norm but it wasn't regarded as defining a person's sexuality
Where as today, such behaviour would, correctly, define an homosexual pedarist. We also have no evidence as to whether or not the parents of any such children (or that society, in general) believed that this was acceptable desire. Which it most obviously isn't, today.

it was the norm alb - just as hetrosexuality is the norm in our sociaty.

I do not see why such a behaviour would be interpitedin a particuler way in our sociaty makes any diffrenceto how it would be interpited in another time and place.

Dr Poo said:
Hook Innsmouth said:

but we could just point out that they're using frankly partisan translations of St. Paul. That atleast couldn't be shot down in a blaze of critical thinking.

:?
Isn't it sort of like asking "Did King Arthur have blue eyes?"

Well he beleived in himself... so.... but he didn't follow christianity arrrgh paradox...

rjm said:
Well he beleived in himself... so.... but he didn't follow christianity arrrgh paradox...

sorry it's a pet pretentious joke of mine...

I can be terably pretentious at times :oops:

dreeness said:
:?
Isn't it sort of like asking "Did King Arthur have blue eyes?"
Indeed.

Irrefutable evidence, apparently.

Hillarious.

Does the Pope shit the the woods?

Is the Bear a Catholic?

hang on

Wasn't Cardinal Newman meant to be gay?

Lordy! Do you think if these chappies had been able to articulate their
sexuality they would have bothered with religion at all? :confused:

Mind you, if we could articulate our religion, maybe we'd be less obsessed by sexuality.

I just put that in for the sake of balance.

Anyone seen my monstrance? :nonplus:

rjm said:
Dr Poo said:

I'm sorry but can we be more specific when we attack religious bodies. I assume you mean the Roman Catholic Church, other denominations have different views of homosexuality and it would not do to tar everyone with the same brush.

Well I said "Christian" because of these religions (Catholic/Protestant/Whatever) are well, erm all christian. And they are all pretty intolerant of homosexuality aren't they? Sure there are gay Christians and gay bishops / vicars / priests but they do not enjoy the support of the scriptures. They are probably only tolerated because you are not allowed to discriminate against people on the grounds of their sexuality in the work place, even if God is their employer ;)

Am I wrong on this?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but saying;

'They are probably only tolerated because you are not allowed to discriminate against people on the grounds of their sexuality in the work place, even if God is their employer '

I don't think these laws apply to the church as such.

The very fact that there are openly gay clergy in some denominations shows that they are tolerated - I doubt very much that an mainstream orthodox muslim or jewish mosque/temple would allow a gay to become a mullah or rabbi much the same way as the Catholic church whilst other jewish/muslim denominations may allow it.

rjm said:
The very fact that there are openly gay clergy in some denominations shows that they are tolerated .

But they wouldn't tolerate the idea of a gay Jesus, or even one that was a bit gay for a week or two before running off with Mary Mag's (the other reported love of JC's life) ;)

Dr Poo said:
Do you think we would ever see a gay Pope?

No, they'd keep him firmly behind closed doors.

Actually a quick google of "Gay Popes" turns up a few, so we have ... I wish I could be more original :roll:

Sometime in the future there will be an openly gay pope. I am sure of it, the church has never remained completely static and has always had to move with the times (alibiet not very quickly at all).

The issue of homosexuality is hardly one of the main tenents of the christian faith. Jesus himself did not say anyhthing about homosexuality and so the two, christianity and homosexuality can be easily reconciled if a church wishes to.

Christianity and the Roman Catholic Church - who produce Popes - are of course two different things.

Any resemblance between the two is purely coincidential.

Back