• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Was President Kennedy a Sausage?

Slytherin said:
Does anyone know if it's true that the Chinese word for "hello" and the Chinese word for "vagina" are exactly the same; the only difference being the tone it's pronounced with?
Yes: it's the word "hae" in Mandarin.

Tone is everything in Chinese..

You'd be walking along the street, nodding to people and saying; 'twat...twat...twat...'?

Inverurie Jones said:
You'd be walking along the street, nodding to people and saying; 'twat...twat...twat...'?

don't you do that anyway Mr. Jones?

Re: Fight! Fight!

AndroMan said:
Come on then! Square Go!

Outside now!

Oh wait a minute, it's cold and there's a high wind.

Fancy a cup of tea insted?

I'd Much Prefer A Cup Of Tea!

jamesveldon said:
Outside now!

Oh wait a minute, it's cold and there's a high wind.

Fancy a cup of tea insted?

Re: I'd Much Prefer A Cup Of Tea!

I'll put the kettle on.

Fancy some pasta, i'm going to make some pesto.

Have a fag

Re: Re: I'd Much Prefer A Cup Of Tea!

jamesveldon said:
I'll put the kettle on.

Fancy some pasta, i'm going to make some pesto.

Have a fag
A very kind and generous offer James. However, I have a couple of large cabbages, from the organic vegetable packet, that I have to deal with, and a three kids(+ little friend), to keep an eye on.

Stir fried Green/purple Cabbage
Green and purple cabbages are not easy to stir fry, they take some cooking, so I'll de-stalk them, slice them real thin with my Sabatier and blanch for a couple of minutes.

Meanwhile, in the wok, frying a handful of free range, cured, bacon blocks and adding thin sliced onion and a good pinch of cummin seed.

Add the drained, blanched cabbage. Then, Salt, pepper, curry powder and chicken stock cube to taste (A splash of lemon juice, doesn't do any harm).

I'm doing it with sla vinken (mince patty wrapped in strips of bacon) in gravy.

Serve with boiled rice and kroepoek (prawn crackers).

Jamie McOliver saiz, "Gallus!"

happy birthday by the way, have a doughnut/president

beakboo said:
Never thought I'd see that comment from you James :tongue:

I shall remain aloff from this degeneration of the discuaion.

Did President Kennedy Say He Was a Jelly Doughnut?

There is a persistent claim that JFK's famous German phrase, "Ich bin ein Berliner," was a gaffe that translates as "I am a jelly doughnut." But when Kennedy made that statement in a West Berlin speech in 1963, his German audience understood exactly what his words meant: "I am a citizen of Berlin." They also understood that he was saying that he stood by them in their Cold War battle against the Berlin Wall and a divided Germany.

No one laughed at or misunderstood President Kennedy's words spoken in German. In fact, he had been provided help from translators who knew the language well. He wrote out the key phrase phonetically and practiced it before his speech in front of the Schöneberg town hall in Berlin, and his words were warmly received. Yet this German myth has been perpetuated by teachers of German and other people who should know better. Although a "Berliner" is also a type of jelly doughnut, in the context used by JFK it could not have been misunderstood any more than if I told you "I am a danish" in English. Of course, you'd think I was crazy, but you wouldn't think I was claiming to be a citizen of Denmark (Dänemark). Here is Kennedy's full statement:

All free men, wherever they live, are citizens of Berlin, and, therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words, "Ich bin ein Berliner."

Part of the problem here stems from the fact that in statements of nationality or citizenship, German often leaves off the "ein." But in Kennedy's statement, the "ein" was correct and expressed that he was "one" of them. Over the years there have been translation or interpreting errors with U.S. public officials abroad, but this isn't one of them.

http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth06.htm

Thoroughly and (hopefully) finally debunked in today's Quora, by a native German speaker (and a Berliner to boot):

"President John F. Kennedy said ‘Ich bin ein Berliner’ and for some silly reason, many non-German speakers think Kennedy said, "I'm a jelly (jam) doughnut."
To Germans. ‘Ich bin ein Berliner’ sounds perfectly fine. What the heck is this ‘Berliner’ thing anyways and how did the Americans mix it up with a jelly donut?
This is what they are talking about.
In Berlin we call this [doughnut] ‘der Pfannkuchen. In southern Germany it is called ‘der Krapfen’. In the western area of Germany they call it ‘der Berliner’.
What confuses the Americans and non-German speakers is the “indefinite article” ‘ein’ added and they felt that Kennedy should have said ‘Ich bin Berliner’ and not ‘Ich bin ein Berliner’.
It is true that normally one would not use the “indefinite article” in German when talking about where you are from or what member of some sort of group you belong to like a profession. You usually don’t use this article ‘ein’.

Example:

‘Ich bin Ingenieur’ (I’m an engineer)

‘Ich bin ein Ingenieur’ ( I’m an engineer). This is also correct context when using an article grammatically, but changes the emphasis a tiny bit. So both are correct.

So what Kennedy said, ‘Ich bin ein Berliner’ with the article is correct when he talked of sharing himself ideally with the people of Berlin. John F. Kennedy was born in Brookline, Massachusetts and not Berlin, Germany.

To a German speaker ‘Ich bin Berliner’ sounds a little more like someone is saying that they are from Berlin. With the article ‘ein’ in the sentence, it would sound more like this person is one of them in harmony.
It is sort of like English, “I’m American” claiming your nationality, compared to “I’m an American” sounding more like you are one of many Americans.
Kennedy wanted to say that he was in solidarity with the people of Berlin by saying ‘Ich bin ein Berliner’ which perfectly matches his intentions. Watching this 20 second video and the crowd's reaction will prove that the people of Berlin knew exactly what Kennedy was saying.
I personally think someone that didn’t like Kennedy and pretended that they did not understand German, made the jelly donut thing up on Kennedy’s wonderful speech on purpose to try embarrass him."

Back