• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wasps The Size Of Cats

A

Anonymous

My boyfriend was telling me about how there are these huge wasps, as big as a full grown cat, that live in the jungle somewhere (It was a specific jungle island somewhere in Asia but I don't remember the name). Anyone ever heard of something like this, or know where I could see a picture of one?
Thanks! :D

the following site lays it on the line-
of course this is only one source, but it is pretty good
http://hometown.aol.com/fitzroya/myhomepage/collection.html

The largest butterflies are Ornithoptera alexandrae, Ornithoptera goliath supremus and Ornithoptera goliath procus. Females of each species usually span 9 to 10 inches (23-26cm), exceptional specimens approach 11 inches (28cm).

The largest moths are Attacus caesar and Coscinocura hercules. Females of each species usually span 10-11 inches (26-28cm), and exceptional specimens approach 12 inches (31cm). Thysania agrippina can reach 12 inches in span, but its wings cover much less area.

The largest beetles are Titanus giganteus and Macrodontia cervicornis, and can reach a length of 16cm. Exceptional specimens approach 17cm. Dynastes hercules and Dynastes neptunus may also reach that length, but half that is thoracic horn. The heaviest are Megasoma mars, Megasoma actaeon and Goliathus goliath, which may weigh up to 6 ounces. They have been known to smash street lamps when they fly into them!

The longest insect is the phasmid Pharnacia serratipes, which can reach a length, including legs, of 22 inches (56cm). Hermarchus australis and Hermarchus morosus can grow 20 inches long(52cm) and are twice as massive as Pharnacia.

The biggest ant is Dinoponera gigantea of Brazil. Typical body length is 3cm, overall length 6cm.

The biggest wasp is the mygale hunter, Pepsis staudingeri, with a wingspan of 11cm, and a body length of 7cm. One species of its prey is the world's biggest spider, Theraphosa leblondi, whose legs can span 26cm.

The largest known insect of all time was Meganura monii, a Devonian-Permian dragonfly with a wingspan of 24 inches (62cm).
to which I should add the giant prehistoric spider Megarachne, which was as big as a cat, and a giant prehistoric millipede Arthropleura which was much bigger than a cat ( >1m long)
steve b

The longest insect is the phasmid Pharnacia serratipes, which can reach a length, including legs, of 22 inches (56cm). Hermarchus australis and Hermarchus morosus can grow 20 inches long(52cm) and are twice as massive as Pharnacia.
any pics of these online? what type of insects are phasmids? i have a vague recollection of stick insects/leaf insects/praying mantises, but not 100%...

(pretty sure they're not a wasp type of insect, tho)

pics

Sure- they are stick insects, as you suspected, also known as
phobaeticus serratipes
I can't find a Pepsis staudingeri photo, but the tarantula wasp is a Pepsis species so they must look like this but bigger.

Isn't the size of insects limited due to a rudimentary respiratory system? ie they don't have Lungs. dunno why that would be a problem, i guess something to do with the transport of oxygen round the body.

oxygen

Yes, and some people think the big millipedes, dragonflies and spiders in the Carboniferous demonstrate that the oxygen level 350 million years ago was higher than today.
To me that would imply a greater incidence of forest fires,
but as the Carboniferous forests were apparently waterlogged they might have been able to thrive in this environment.
Basically it was a very different planet back then-
if you build a time machine make sure there are no ashtrays.
steve b

Hey thanks everyone for the very interesting replies and links! I am very fascinated by some insects. Thanks agaiN!

Re: oxygen

Eburacum45 said:
Yes, and some people think the big millipedes, dragonflies and spiders in the Carboniferous demonstrate that the oxygen level 350 million years ago was higher than today.
That said there have been giant spider sightings in recent memory: there's an allusion to it here together with a mock-up of a megarachne.

Arachnophobes may best not click a genuine piccie of a Goliath Bird Eating spider.

Get that out of the bath...:eek:

Back