• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wasps

Those "end-of-Summer dozy" wasps may have found a crop of fermenting windfallen apples or pears to gorge on. We had a large and rather ill-tended garden full of the things in my childhood. This time of year there were some day-long noisy wasp-parties in the edges of the beds, where the windfallen fruit was raked. Sozzled wasps were incapable of flight: like men out on the town, they would simply stagger from one open joint to another. In their case, the joints were Conference Pears in an advanced state of fermentation.

Being horrid sprogs, my brother and I would begrudge the wasps this fun and steal the fruit to pack into some large earthenware jars. This was our "cider." We must have known it was revolting stuff and never drank it ourselves. With the addition of a dog turd or three, it was something to offer guests who came to play. :_pished:

Apparently wasps are doing Ok around our way:

Falmouth wasps' nest cleared thanks to Packet
10:10am Sunday 20th September 2009

Walkers on a Falmouth footpath can relax after exterminators got rid of a nasty wasps’ nest they read about in the Packet.

Last week we reported that at least four people and a dog had been stung walking on the shortcut next to the oil works between Goldenbank and Marlborough House.

Bill Mossman from Terminate pest control got in touch to say he and his son Ky would clear the nest.

On Thursday the pair got to work on what turned out to be three wasps’ nests on the narrow lane.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/fp ... to_Packet/

But oddly enough, I use a footpath several times a week that crosses the one mentioned, and I've hardy seen a wasp all year! (One did get into a car I was travelling in last week, but soon left again.)

rynner2 said:
But oddly enough, I use a footpath several times a week that crosses the one mentioned, and I've hardy seen a wasp all year! (One did get into a car I was travelling in last week, but soon left again.)

It wasn't driving, was it?

Six-foot wasp nest found in Southampton pub
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-10871240

The wasps nest Oxford University experts have verified the nest is Britain's biggest ever

A 6ft-high wasp nest has been discovered in the attic of a Southampton pub.

Pest controller Sean Whelan was called in to deal with the 6ft by 5ft (1.8m by 1.5m) nest which housed a total of about 500,000 wasps.

Mr Whelan said after exterminating the insects, the nest had to remain where it was because it was too big to remove from the attic.

Oxford University experts have verified the nest is Britain's biggest ever.

They said they thought it was also the largest found across the world in the past 50 years.

The pub which housed the nest has asked to remain anonymous.

'Bit scary'

Mr Whelan told BBC Radio Solent: "The wasps will never go back in it, so we will just leave it to disintegrate.

"There were actually eight wasps nests in the loft but I actually did not spot [the biggest one] until I killed off the first, second, third...

"I had been staring at it for quite some time but I did not recognise it because it was very big. It was a bit scary [but] it was mesmerizing and very challenging."

"I think it has been a very mild spring and obviously summer has been quite dry - that's helped," Mr Whelan added.

"The experts feel [the nest] has lasted through the winter from last year [and] that is why it is so big."

The nest is 15 times bigger than the UK average and nearly as big as a Smart car, which is slightly longer at 8ft 10in by 5ft 1in (2.69m by 1.54m).

Nationally, pest control experts revealed on Wednesday that the number of calls to remove wasp nests more than trebled last month.

The increase has been blamed on the warm weather and household nests going untreated last year as people have been cutting back their spending during the recession.

I'm sure we all misread that headline.

Well, maybe just some of us...

Where does a 6-foot wasp nest? Anywhere it damn well wants.

eburacum said:
Perhaps it just means that the wasps have six feet...
But then it would surely be "Six-footed wasp"...

Which is kind of redundant anyway, since most wasps, barring deformity, injury, or idle schoolboys have six feet.

The Mighty Styx got stuck by a wasp the other day. Luckily I'm not allergic, but it got me right in the back of my head and for a second the world started spinning at a much faster rate. In fact it was quite a buzz!

China hornets kill 41 in north since July
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-24367050

People stung by hornet in Shaanxi province, north China

People injured by hornet attacks in Shaanxi province are receiving treatment in local hospitals

Attacks by hornets in northern China have killed 41 people since July, state-run media report.

More than 1,600 people have also been injured by stings in Shaanxi province, according to China News Agency.

It says 206 people are still being treated in hospital, with 37 patients remaining in a critical condition.

Local officials have been quoted as saying that drier and warmer weather this year may have contributed to a rise in hornet numbers in the area.

Environmental activists have also blamed rapid urbanisation for worsening the problem as more rural land is swallowed up for urban development, intruding into habitats where hornets hunt and build their nests.

The cities of Angkang, Hanzhong and Shangluo have been worst affected by the spate of attacks over the past three months.

The provincial government has dispatched pest control experts to help deal with the situation.

China News Agency says local police and fire-fighters have been given equipment and protective clothes to help remove and destroy hornet nests.

Hornet attacks are a recurring problem in Shaanxi province in particular, but the authorities have released no casualty figures for previous years.

Zhao Fang, a city government official in Ankong, told the China Daily newspaper that hornet attacks had increased in recent years as the "local ecological environment improved".

Winters have been getting milder and summers hotter and more humid in Shaanxi, which may have helped caused hornet numbers there to rise.

The Chinese term for hornets is "hu feng" - those behind the deadly attacks this summer appear to be the Asian giant hornet, or Vespa mandarinia.

They can grow up to 5cm long with a 6mm sting.

The area is also home to the smaller Asian hornet, Vespa velutina nigrithorax

Wasps're currently terrorising CERN. The Fire Brigade are involved.

:shock:

I am reliably informed that they are camped out in the men's toilets on the corridor connecting buildings 1 and 4. Best to avoid that area, then. ;)

Not Blackie Lawless and the boys tuning up?

Once whilst I was tidying up the back garden I got stung by a wasp and it was all my own fault. It was a textbook case of over-reaching whilst coached near a hedge. I lost my balance and fell to one side. When I got back up (and did what I should have done in the first place - move along a bit) I noticed a wasp with its sting stuck in the back of my hand. I flicked it away and got on with cutting and snipping. Odd thing is, the sting didn't hurt but it did leave a small scar that took some time healing up.

I drove into a swarm of them on the A1 near Hatfield the other day. I was left with bits of wasp all over the front of the car.
Very puzzling that they'd decided to swarm right in the middle of the road.

I drove into a swarm of them on the A1 near Hatfield the other day. I was left with bits of wasp all over the front of the car.

Mating season?

That'd be it, yes.

A couple of years ago when cycling home I felt a pain under my arm. Yup, a wasp had gone up there and stung me. I was outside Boots the chemist when I found it, but was too stupid to go in and buy some bite cream. What an idiot. :confused:

mythopoeika said:

Mating season?
According to Wiki:

"Wasps do not reproduce via mating flights like bees. Instead social wasps reproduce between a fertile queen and male wasp; in some cases queens may be fertilized by the sperm of several males."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasps#Social_wasp_reproductive_cycle_.28temperate_species_only.29

Must say I've never heard of wasps swarming before, they only tend to behave like that when their nest is in danger. And then it's not like a swarm of bees which can contain tens of thousands of individual insects.

Wasps may have stung me in the testicles – but I love them anyway
Jules Howard
You might expect me to hate wasps after this experience in the woods but, against all the odds, I find that I am becoming their staunchest defender
Saturday 5 September 2015 13.00 BST

Wasps. Yellow jackets. Jaspers. Picnic-marauders. Meat-bees. Whatever you want to call them – September is the month where their world collapses and they intrude upon ours. This is when they fling themselves into our wine glasses and eagerly zigzag at picnics toward the ice-cream glazed lips of our offspring; when they dart into our hair and armpits or delight themselves in our breakfast condiments and newly opened soda cans. Despite all this, I urge you to be their friends.

This endorsement does not come easy to me. Eight years ago I found myself screaming, alone and naked, in a woodland. I had inadvertently, accidentally, naively urinated on a wasps’ nest and the wasps were giving me a damn good telling off about it. I had torn my clothes off. I had to. So intense was their rage, they were stinging and biting the fabric. I had to shake them off every single item of clothing I had. There were thousands of them. Passing hikers came gingerly over, attracted by my screams and eager to help me. I had to shout back “I’m OK!” to encourage them to back away from seeing my nakedness. I wasn’t ok though. I really wasn’t. For starters, there were wasp stings all over my genitals. Honestly, all over them. :eek: Though my testicles looked satisfyingly large I was in a great deal of pain. I was for days.

You might expect me to hate wasps after this experience in the woods but, against all the odds, I find that I am becoming their staunchest defender.
Here are some home-truths about wasps. Wasps did not evolve in the last 40 years since we invented popsicles and Diet Coke. They have been here for millions of years eating invertebrates, mainly caterpillars, aphids and other things gardeners hate. They are predators, on the whole. Many of them really like to eat spiders too (which means that you are a massive hypocrite if you moan about both spiders and wasps - this is like moaning about high taxes and the lack of good libraries). Many species of wasp also pollinate flowers, but when do ever hear about that? Bees are furry and disappearing from the wild and people hate the thought of this. But no one cares about wasps – even though they helped shape modern civilization (it was through wasps and their nests that humankind eventually invented paper, apparently). So there.

You see, wasps are victims. At this time of year they appear everywhere because, suddenly, they are at their peak. In summer, worker wasps need sugar to power the insatiable appetites of the young larvae in the nest. These larvae are future young queens. When they are gone, along with their queen, the nest will fall apart and the workers will be left to die. These workers helped their mother and they helped their sisters to breed, and this is the fate with which they are repaid: death. They are victims of evolution. Each year in the northern hemisphere billions of workers die this way during the late summer months. But almost each and every single worker will try to hang on. They move from place to place drunk and desperate for anything of sustenance: a spilled glass of orange juice, an empty candy wrapper in a landfill, a rotten plum stuck in the grooves of your grandfather’s wellingtons. They try to live. But they won’t.

The saddest thing about wasps is that, as individual species, they probably no longer live up to their true potential. Sure, there are good and bad years for wasps still, but in the good old days our great grandparents, in their youth, they probably enjoyed wasp years of almost Biblical proportions. Back then, they spent each day of August and September gleefully picking them out of their hair and teeth and unshaven armpit hair. (Well, not really, but you get the idea). Alas, no more: there is some evidence (at least in Britain) that peak wasp years aren’t like they used to be thanks, in part, to our increasing dependence on pesticides. There are fewer invertebrates out there for them to eat.

Now, where once I would reach for my flip-flop and kill the damn things, or remember angrily my swollen genitalia that time in the woods, I find myself considering leaving out that unwashed jam jar just a tiny bit longer. A little scrap here and there for them. A morsel I can spare. Perhaps they deserve a chance to enjoy the fruits of our harvest sometimes? Hell, without them out there pollinating the flowers and predating the pests there might not be a bloody harvest at all.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ng-me-in-the-testicles-but-i-love-them-anyway

Shortcut to bigger nads?
Hardcore!

I too like wasps. They are fascinating. I recently walked about 100 yards cross a field with a wasp crawling about on my hand. Took me a while to get round to looking down at what was tickling me, and there it was, a WASP! Wow, how TERRIFYING. :rolleyes:
Flicked it off and carried on.

Had a wasps' nest in our house eaves some years ago and they gave us no trouble. Indeed, they entertained us by audibly scraping the wood from the fence with their little gobs. Most endearing! :D

Back