• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Watch Stopping & Re-Starting at Stonehenge

A

Anonymous

I had an unusual experience at Stonehenge about 5-6 years ago. I was travelling back to Cornwall with my parents when we decided to stop off on the way and visit Stonehenge as we had never been before. We left the A303 and travelled slowly along the long access road to the car park. About halfway along my mother looked at her watch and announced that it was 1:20 p.m. and we could only stay a short time if we wanted to be home before it got dark. We parked the car, walked around the monument, then drove back the way we'd come to rejoin the A303. On the way my mother looked again at her watch and exclaimed "Oh my watch has stopped at 1:20!". This was unusual as she had worn this watch for 25 years and it had rarely stopped before (she wound it regularly). Just as she said this it began to tick again and the tiny second hand began to tick away the seconds as normal. This happened about half way along the access road! We all found this very strange and theorized for the rest of the journey about the possible reasons for this, such as a local magnetic field around Stonehenge or something similar. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience while visiting Stonehenge, or if anyone has any theories that would explain this experience?

As I assume that you were in car at the time watch stoped I would think that an external localised magnetic field would be unlickly to have stoped the watch, also to stop a watch you need a quiet strong field much stronger than you would normaly expect to find in nature.
Sorry that probably wasn`t very helpfull,

Wm.
(It`s nice to see another Tolkinen-esk screen name):)

I can't hear the word "Stonehenge" any more without thinking of Spinal Tap...

My watch stopped the same hour that I finished my last full-time job, and then a different watch stopped as I was waiting for a trian at paddington Station to go to an important interview for what I hoped would be very exciting work.
I didn't get it though.

When I was in hospital for the birth of my daughter I had to take my watch off so I could have a drip valve thingy inserted, in case it became necessary. I took it off and put it away. Later that day I went to put it on again, the drip having been unnecessary (hooray!) and I noticed it had stopped. Was a bit disgusted as the battery had only been replaced three or four months earlier but put it on - without resetting the time - so I didn't lose it. A few hours later I looked at it out of habit and it had started agin - and caught up to the right time! And no, it wasn't twelve hours later.

Actually my watch started again after I ruffed up my job interview, then it stopped properly after about 3 months.

Back