• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Watch Weirdness

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I've noticed that battery-operated watches stop if I don't wear them. If I then reset the time on one it will merrily tick away and stay working as long as it's used.

Watches must sulk when I don't pick them.

Sorry, but its just your watch battery needs a bit of warmth to get the last few milliamps out of it. Good idea though :)

It also applies to non wrist-worn ones like fob watches on chains that are kept in bags and not warmed by skin contact.
I recently had this happen to me. I have a fob watch which I use for one my of my stage outfits. I hadn't worn it for a week or so and it was dead when I tried to use it. I kept it on me just for the aesthetic aspect but when the show was over, the clock was now ticking away merrily.

Do streetlights turn themselves off (or on) as you pass by?
Street lights used to turn off when I came by. I live in another city now, and if they do anything, they turn on. What significance does THAT have? :worry:

Is it possible that watches, wrist or pocket, might start again when worn because being jostled overcomes some kind of inertia or friction on a micro scale? Batteries work on ion exchange (I think) which (I think) is a kind of chemical reaction. Chemical processes need "activation energy," which is usually heat (hence stoves, ovens, and bunsen burners), but could the energy that restarts a watch battery be provided by the movement of the wearer?

I always had trouble with watches of the wind-up variety. They’d gain time, lose time, stop.... it’s got to be a battery watch for me.
And yes, @Lord Lucan streetlights turn off for me, if I’m stressed....

I don't want to hijack this thread away from it's original discussion but this could be of interest:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-people-who-can-turn-streetlights-off-just-by-walkin-5982719?IR=T

I've read that people who experience this, often cannot wear watches as they often just do not work for them, hence me question.

Back on the topic, my mother in law can't wear quartz watches as the batteries always fail after a few weeks.

Think I posted here before about the night my friend died, I think it was Dec 1984. He was at a party at our house - car skidded on ice on his way home (he was stone cold sober - hadn't drank a single thing all night) and he broke his neck (whiplash - wearing the seatbelt he'd been lecturing us about wearing our's earlier that night). Anyway, at the party that night, a few hours before he left - a silver ring I'd worn for a few years and my watch just spontaneously... broke. The ring was a solid band of silver - very much like a wedding ring in shape - so quite a sturdy looking band of silver that just broke.

I haven't hardly ever worn a watch since, well, very rarely. Those days it was wind up watches or at least that was all I ever had.

I've noticed that battery-operated watches stop if I don't wear them. If I then reset the time on one it will merrily tick away and stay working as long as it's used.

Watches must sulk when I don't pick them.
My old faithful plastic Casio doesn't do that but my two battery operated posher looking metal watches do.

I feel this recent facebook post from Hunt Emerson is worth sharing here:

Hunt Emerson

15 February at 17:35 ·

When we moved into our house 20 years ago the cellar was crammed with stuff we didn't want. I hired a skip and spent 4 days clearing it out. Right at the bottom, in the damp dirt of the 100-year-old flagstone floor, I found this. It's a Casio F91W digital watch - presumably quite an early one. It was and is still running. I've never touched the buttons, not knowing how digital timepieces operate, and it's still dead on time. It appears to be a day ahead (16th rather than 15th), maybe due to leap years or something. Isn't Time amazing?
I haven't given it a name.
May be an image of digital watch and text that says CASIO WE 15 17:1624 WATER RESIST
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi...efgzoXfjzHl5ig1LSfjhEOf38i3cUQ&__tn__=EH-R]-R
.. followed by this banter:

Aldo Mussi
My all time favourite watches
1f642.png

Hunt Emerson
Aldo Mussi You have a favourite watch? I've never had a wristwatch. Got a pocket watch, though. It's a Russian wind-up.

Back