• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Watch Yourself In A Mirror & See Yourself Transformed

Hey, I did the mirror thing, and I saw what you mentioned. Your face goes all horrbly deformed and yet still a face but evil...argh...

About 1984 I can remember my friend telling me (we were only about 8 at the time) that if you sit infront of a mirror with no light except a candle and brush your hair, you can see what you will look like when you're older. I almost tried it but got scared and couldn't go through with it.
I just asked my husband if he ever heard of such a thing, and he told me that probably around the same time (and area - North London) he heard that if you looked in a mirror at midnight with a candle burning you would see your true love. And if you rang a bell under these circumstances you would see the devil!
He says he tried it and he just saw himself, so it worked for him:p
I've never heard anything of it since really.
But I'd be interested to find out more about where this came from, does anyone know? And has anyone tried any of them?

felt sorry for this poor post....left alone right at the end of all the others :cry: so i thought id resurrect it.

Sometimes I look in my mirror and something hideous looks back at me...then I realise my mouth tastes and feels like an old carpet, and remember I was out the previous night knocking back 'the pop' a little too vigorously :_pished: :hmm: :cross eye Doh!!

Incidentally, what's a mirrior? (sorry being a bitch now) :rolleyes:

Witchflame.

Stare at your own eyes fixedly in the mirror WITHOUT MOVING YOUR EYES and sort of relax your mind and "trance out" and you'll see all sorts of things. Mostly hideous. (Don't do this while tripping).

Similarly, I can stare in a trance-like manner at almost any object for a minute or so and get a related effect where the object "fuzzes out", disappears, changes color, etc. The trick is to relax your eyes and not move them at all so that your visual cortex gets bored and starts doodling - that's how I think of it.

I picked this hobby up in grammar school where I was oppressively bored much of the time.

Ramsey Campbell in his intro to "The Face That Must Die" (I think) tells of when he was looking in the mirror one night and noticed with horror that he couldn't see his mouth anymore. It was the start of an acid flashback.

I know about the "shifting faces." Among New Agers it is said that you can see another person's (or your own) past lives in this way.

You sit across from a person (holding hands to get the energy flowing between you) and close your eyes to relax for a couple minutes. Then you open your eyes and stare without blinking into the other's eyes. In my experience, the face starts to glow and get foggy and only the eyes are still in focus. Then another face will appear, kind of overlayering the person's. If you keep staring, the face will shift again and be replaced by other faces. In one person, for example, I saw the face of what looked like a stone-age man, a Gray alien, a very sad old man, an American Indian woman, and others.

I tried this with myself in a mirror once and was successful, but it's way too spooky for my taste to see your own face shift like that.

In any case, I've always had this apprehension of mirrors. I refuse to have any in the bedroom or in any space where I might accidentally look into them while walking by. I do look at myself in the mirror, for clothes choices, teeth brushing, combing, and so on, but I usually avoid looking into my own eyes. If I do -- for certain positive affirmations -- I get very close and ONLY look into my eyes, but don't stare at my eyes and face together.

I might have seen too many horror movies, but I always half expect to see someone else in the mirror behind me, like when the character cleans the fogged-up bathroom mirror and sees the face of a ghost, or his/her own face have changed in a horrifying way. I'd probably get a heart attack from the shock.

It's interesting, though -- there seems to be a very deep-sitting fear in humans of mirrors... I feel like they are gateways through which "things" can come. Anyone else feel that way?

Eep!

When I tried it, my eyes (in my reflection, natch ;) ) gradually drifted together in the middle of my face, and I turned into some kind of cyclopic monster.

Whatever the explanation is, it was seriously creepy.

I know about the "shifting faces." Among New Agers it is said that you can see another person's (or your own) past lives in this way.

that sounds very similar to the 'transfiguration' that some spiritualists believe in, where the face of the medium is supposed to resemble that of the deceased...

I tend to look like an alien gray when I do that so I don't. :?

I might have seen too many horror movies, but I always half expect to see someone else in the mirror behind me, like when the character cleans the fogged-up bathroom mirror and sees the face of a ghost, or his/her own face have changed in a horrifying way. I'd probably get a heart attack from the shock.

It's interesting, though -- there seems to be a very deep-sitting fear in humans of mirrors... I feel like they are gateways through which "things" can come. Anyone else feel that way?

I definately agree with the fear of seeing "something else" in the mirror which I often get, particularly in the bathroom for some reason.

Re: Perception

rynner said:
In a pub in Salcombe, Devon, there used to be a picture on the wall (maybe it's still there)...

Seen from across the bar, it appeared to be the picture of a skull, but seen close up it was in fact a picture of a young woman sitting at her dressing table, which had a large, oval mirror.

I'm sure this was a deliberate 'trompe de l'oeil' effect by the artist, but it was a good illustration of how the mind can be deceived.

I know that picture. My childhood "boyfriend" used to have it in his room.

I've 'screed' (sp?) in a mirror many times. Face changes to another person's, nothing spooky or gory, just unsettling. Ties in with the past lives idea in my book.

Mirrors have always given me the hee-bee-jee-bees. Usually i'm fine but every now and then I get struck by a fear of seeing something that should be there.

Probably a combination of too many tacky mirror scenes i horror movies and perhaps freaking myself out as a child.

When I was young and I looked in a mirror that reflected the rooms in our house I was curious if the rooms that I couldn't see in the mirror would be different from ours. I wondered if just around that corner that I couldn't see a totally different world began. But it always gave me the shivers to think the whole thing through. Even now, thinking about looking around one of the corners of the mirror world feels a bit spooky.

Josh809~ said:
same here. i'm sure there is a reasonable explaination.
it probably has something to do with you being disey from spining, and thinking you see something you really didn't. but i'm not gona try it unless there is someone with me

Read the story reviewed here and you'll never look at a mirror in the same way again. You may never look into a mirror again. - Seriously spooky!

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/nonfiction/tain.htm

today i looked in the mirror, i saw a fat bloke looking back at me, i checked on the internet, its a symptom of Anorexia nervosa, so combat it i wonder if i should eat more, just in case?

Freaky mirrors

I once did a meditation in front of the mirror. I opened my eyes half way through it but there was no reflection in the mirror at all only blackness. Then when my image appeared I just knew it wasn't me - for one it looked like me but better than me.. and enshrouded in a gold light. I moved and it didn't and then it moved in a completely different way to the way I did.

I wasn't scared at the time it happened because I was deep in meditation but later on when I came out of it and I was in my bed I began to wonder if there is something else in the mirror. I dont like mirrors now they kind of give me a really odd feeling that I am being watched.

:shock:
Whoa...
Mirrors.
Meditation or not, that was quite something. Even if your brain had made up this "other", question is still: who was it supposed to be?
Also as you "peeked" out from closed eyes, why was it appearing, did it know you had your eyes open?

When I was little I was obsessed with mirrors. Apart from the "infinite" me in our large wardrobe, I used to walk about in the home with a hand held mirror under my chin, so that I could only see the ceiling. This gave the impresion of floating. Other times I would walk around with the mirror on my side, which was also interesting.

My question was always this:
If you see everything in a mirror, is what you don't see there or not?
Like for example are your intestines in the mirror or is Africa in the mirror?
I think all this has been discussed earlier on maybe, but it just came back to me.
Also if we are all inverted in a mirror, are our souls inverted and if so in what way?
Brrrrrrr....mirrors....

i was fascinated with the "infinite me" too. used to spend lots of time contemplating "it"

RealPaZZa said:
today i looked in the mirror, i saw a fat bloke looking back at me, i checked on the internet, its a symptom of Anorexia nervosa, so combat it i wonder if i should eat more, just in case?

I looked in the mirror today and saw a fat bloke looking back at me - I just assumed it was RealPaZZa and carried on as normal. :D

Dingo667 said:
:shock:
Whoa...
Mirrors.
Meditation or not, that was quite something. Even if your brain had made up this "other", question is still: who was it supposed to be?
Also as you "peeked" out from closed eyes, why was it appearing, did it know you had your eyes open?

When I was little I was obsessed with mirrors. Apart from the "infinite" me in our large wardrobe, I used to walk about in the home with a hand held mirror under my chin, so that I could only see the ceiling. This gave the impresion of floating. Other times I would walk around with the mirror on my side, which was also interesting.

My question was always this:
If you see everything in a mirror, is what you don't see there or not?
Like for example are your intestines in the mirror or is Africa in the mirror?
I think all this has been discussed earlier on maybe, but it just came back to me.
Also if we are all inverted in a mirror, are our souls inverted and if so in what way?
Brrrrrrr....mirrors....

I only know what I saw and whether or not "It" knew I had my eyes open was never something I thought about. It was smiling and did look right into my eyes and I looked into its eyes as well.

As for who it was supposed to be I have no idea, only whoever it was, was extremely knowledeable - I did get that feeling from it.

Have you ever heard of something called the cosmic mirror?

No, I haven't heard of the "cosmic mirror". I'd like you to explain if you don't mind.

This is a well known age old phenomena. It helps if you have an active imagination. As a kid I used to sit in front of the mirror scaring myself with demon faces! I was strange like that...

felixgarnet said:
RealPaZZa said:

I looked in the mirror today and saw a fat bloke looking back at me - I just assumed it was RealPaZZa and carried on as normal. :D

;)

im just wondering if anyone has attempted random pot shot photography aimed at a mirror? i know people have done this with televisions and captured strange images from them.

Yeah, I have tried that. Especially in place that are supposed to be "haunted", so far I didn't have any luck though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mirrors have always given me the goosebumps, in fact I think they have always given the whole human race goosebumps. I think it's something to do with the fact that we don't focus "on" them, like a painting or TV screen, but rather "beyond" them, like a window.

Besides, as features earlier in the thread, it sounds like a lot of us grew up with stories of people chanting in front of them with terrible results. I think it likely that my generation were given this by the Candyman films, where you say his name 3 times (infront of a mirror, obviously) and then he appears and proceeds to gut you with his rusty hook. I wonder how far back such stories go.

linesmachine said:
I wonder how far back such stories go.

Must go back to a time before mirrors were common because such stories were also told about looking into still water (which would reflect like a mirror, of course).

surely this is fair dinkum for folks like us.
I have for years stared and stared into mirrors until all manner of
freakish occurance came forth to greet me. didn't robert Redford
famously do the same but with a blank wall and starvation?
I have also done the same, with massively enhanced results using
mushrooms or other 'stimulants'. If you can hold your nerve you will
encounter all kinds of other worldly visions which enhabit your own
range of imaginary/ perceptive capabilities

My great uncle worked at one of the shipbuilders on the Mersey and was part of the workforce that dismantled The Great Eastern. A lot of the stuff from the ship was squirreled away by the men and taken home as a "perk" of the job.

For some strange reason my uncle took home a huge mirror from the ship, I cannot imagine how he got it home, unless he got one of the farming cousins to lug it back on a cart. It was so big that it rested on the floor in the front parlour of his mothers house, which later became my parents home.

As children my cousins and I were all terrified to look in this mirror and I guess some of the adults found it a bit off-putting as it was eventually covered by a velvet curtain.

When we moved from that house the mirror was taken away by an antique dealer who put in in his shop window, where it remained until he died and the shop closed. The shop was on the direct route to my school and I used to cross over the road to avoid getting too close to it.

Back