• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Water-Rise': A Waterfall Reversed By Wind

Storm Frank: High winds invert Glencar waterfall in Ireland
"Didn't think much of #StormFrank until I saw what it was doing to the Glencar Waterfall."
Charlie Atkin

[Video]
blank.gif

Footage has emerged that shows a waterfall becoming inverted due to the high winds of Storm Frank.
The water from the Irish Glencar Waterfall can be seen travelling upwards, seemingly due to the severe weather that has hit the UK recently.

Tracy O'Toole, who posted the video online, accompanied the footage by saying, "Didn't think much of #StormFrank until I saw what it was doing to the Glencar Waterfall.
"No water reaches the bottom. It's defying gravity," she commented.

The waterfall is situated in County Leitrim, Ireland.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...rt-glencar-waterfall-in-ireland-a6791931.html

References to waterfalls temporarily 'reversed' by strong winds have appeared occasionally on the FTMB.

This thread is being established to consolidate posts referring to such incidents.

Somewhere along the line the colloquial term 'waterrise' emerged as a label for the phenomenon.

Here's the most recent example, caused by Storm Helene in the UK ...

Stunning Video Shows Waterfall Being ‘Reversed’ By Storm Helene
Striking footage taken in Cumbria shows how strong winds generated by Storm Helene were able to ‘reverse’ a waterfall.

The gorgeous footage was captured at Mallerstang Edge on September 18, and shows the wind blowing the water upwards; while a rainbow forms inside the waterfall.

Although an upside-down waterfall may sound like something from a fantasy landscape, the images of this stunning phenomenon are very real; captured during the peak of the violent storm. ...

SOURCE (WITH VIDEO): https://www.unilad.co.uk/video/stun...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

The pal who introduced me to deerstalking lived near Kylesku in Sutherland. His front window afforded a magnificent view over Loch Gleann Dubh to where the Maldie Burn formed waterfalls down from Loch an Leathiad Bhuain. His main income derived from running a lobster and prawn fishing boat.

I never saw it, but he told me that often in winter he would rise in the morning, look across the loch and see the waterfall being blown skywards. This was quite enjoyable as far as he was concerned, as it meant that he could put on the kettle, open the Hobnobs and forget about shooting creels for the day.

maximus otter

Here's another such incident video-recorded in Ireland ...
High winds cause waterfall to flow backward

A visitor to Ireland's Cliffs of Moher captured video of high winds causing a waterfall's water to flow backward.

Garry McNabb said he was hiking with friends on the Doolin side of the cliffs when he saw the waterfall spraying water backward onto the cliffs.

McNabb captured video of the phenomenon and posted it to Reddit.

He said the water was being blown back by high winds.
SOURCE (With Video): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...erfall-to-flow-backward/6681573245250/?ts_=14

Back