• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Waverley Abbey

There are quite a lot of old abbeys round my way, (Fountains, Rievaux, Byland, etc). Some of the most intact spots of these places tend not to be the places where chanting may have been heard (the actual church bit) but some of the lower structures - storage basements, toilets, undercrofts, etc. They LOOK spectacularly monastic and spooky, but they are the most workaday bits of the whole environment.

Wdistubct is an intriguing variation on Worcester, and deserves to be a place name somewhere. :p

So, do you reckon you and your friends heard a distant neighbor playing Gregorian chants on their CD player?

Wdistubct is an intriguing variation on Worcester, and deserves to be a place name somewhere. :p

Searching “Wdistubct” on DuckDuckGo leads me to a government e-portal in West Bengal:

https://edistrict.wb.gov.in/PACE/login.do

Perhaps Indian bureaucracy’s reputation for having only two speeds - Dead Slow and Stop - arises from the fact that all place names mistyped anywhere in the world are somehow automatically added to the Indian government’s gazetteer?

You know, every time someone tries to type Pwllheli or Przemyśl and ****s up the spelling, an algorithm adds a new district to India, which then requires a phone network, road infrastructure, a sewage system…

:thought:

maximus otter

Searching “Wdistubct” on DuckDuckGo leads me to a government e-portal in West Bengal:

https://edistrict.wb.gov.in/PACE/login.do

Perhaps Indian bureaucracy’s reputation for having only two speeds - Dead Slow and Stop - arises from the fact that all place names mistyped anywhere in the world are somehow automatically added to the Indian government’s gazetteer?

You know, every time someone tries to type Pwllheli or Przemyśl and ****s up the spelling, an algorithm adds a new district to India, which then requires a phone network, road infrastructure, a sewage system…

:thought:

maximus otter
It may also explain why we keep getting lots of phone calls from Indian call centres wanting to know our bank details.

Those calls only look like they're from India—they're really from New Jersey! :p

Oh, I totally believe that text entry. Virtual phone "keyboards" do the weirdest stuff.

Back