• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wedding Venues

Kondoru

Beloved of Ra
I am millitantly single, but these days I have a lot of interests in the Heritage Industry.

And its interesting to see the sort of places billed as a Wedding venue.

Would you, for random but slightly OTT example, get married in Bodmin Jail???

Every strange building is jumping on ths bandwagon, and it got me thinking;

`Do people get married these days?`

I thought as a practice, it was dying out....though it is to be admitted, some folk do it several times in their life, unlike maybe in the past.

What do you think?

(Then, of course there is the thing called `Reafirmation of Vows`...)

I thought as a practice, it was dying out....though it is to be admitted, some folk do it several times in their life, unlike maybe in the past.

What do you think?
Yes, they do. There are a lot of 'religiously motivated' people about who do it. My nephew got married a while ago (he and his wife are evangelical Christians).

I am millitantly single, but these days I have a lot of interests in the Heritage Industry.

And its interesting to see the sort of places billed as a Wedding venue.

Would you, for random but slightly OTT example, get married in Bodmin Jail???

Every strange building is jumping on ths bandwagon, and it got me thinking;

What do you think?

(Then, of course there is the thing called `Reafirmation of Vows`...)

My son and his fiancée chose the medieval bell tower in Wenceslas Square Prague for their wedding ceremony.
It was a secular service, conducted by a suitably Bohemian looking Czech justice of the piece (shoulder-length hair, John Lennon glasses and an excellent command of idiomatic English) and the music was provided by a string quartet playing such traditional wedding favourites as Stairway to Heaven.

It's a way for places to get money.

In China and Hong Kong, a lot of pretty places are very popular for pre-wedding wedding photos. Most memorably, I saw a couple in full regalia ascent a 4000-metre snow mountain where most people were using oxygen to take their snaps.

In Hong Kong it's a bit more limited but old buildings are popular. I went to the railway museum in Tai po and they have a sign up telling people not to use the historic carriages to take wedding photos in because it spoils it for other visitors.

Some friends who recently got married went to a wedding photography studio over the border in Shenzhen which has full-scale movie style sets of interiors (think French chateaus) to take Grand wedding pics in.

Back