• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Animal Sightings

Hmm, now I'm puzzled, there are also reports of porcupines living wild in the UK. They move similar to badgers but, would be fairly easy to recognise even at night:confused: .

Hello wulfloki,

My werewolf sighting was in MASSACHUSETTS too!!!
Could there be a link?

WW

I'm not sure if this should be in the Black Dog thread that someone mentioned earlier, maybe I'll put it in both.

When I was 14 /15 I spent a lot of time outdoors messing around with a large group of friends. We would meet up after school, hang aroung street corners causing mayhem, the usual teenage antics. Because we were such a large group, sometimes as many as 30 people, we were often moved on from our little spots by the police, and had to find a new 'homes', kind of like a wandering band of nomads!:p
I'm pretty sure it was October 1995 when this happened, and we had recently begun hanging around at an old church on a big hill near my house. We all knew the surrounding countryside like the back of our hands as we had grown up roving around in the trees, and never thought anything of the fact that we were hanging around in a graveyard at night.
Anyway, this particular evening a group of 7 girls had broken off from the group and walked down the sloping road away from the church. We were a ten minute walk away from the others, and well out of earshot. We sat down in a circle at the base of a small rise in a field, and the sun had set behind the rise so it had a pretty glow to it. We were chatting away when we heard something being killed in the bushes, like a rabbit screaming. One of my friends said jokingly 'it must be a werewolf', and I just laughed and said it must be a fox killing its dinner.
About two minutes later I looked up to the rise and saw the biggest black dog/wolf/thing I have ever seen. I'm pretty sure I uttered the F word, and everyone turned around to look. I know a lot about dogs(I'm animal mad and used to be a vet nurse), and this was taller than an irish wolfhound, but bulky like an alsatian. It started to growl at us, and just stood and stared. I can still hear the sound it made in its throat even to this day.
I told everyone to get up really slowly and walk away, and DO NOT RUN, as it may chase. We all took about 5 steps, someone shouted 'RUN', and we all descended into mass hysteria and bolted back up the hill. Of course no-one else in the group believed us.
My best friend still hasn't forgiven me for leaving her behind, as she hated dogs anyway, and was traumatised for ages. When we all get together we still talk about it, 9 years later. I've seen many paranormal things, but for some reason this one incident still incites fear in me.

On a related note, we recalled on reflection that years earlier, probably in about 1992, four of us had been climbing trees in this particular field and had seen five men with shotguns stalking in the trees. We were scared as guns are quite uncommon in Britain, and we had never seen 'real' guns before. Also, we were scared that if we moved they would shoot us thinking we were whatever 'game' they were looking for. Maybe they were local farmers who knew of this 'wolf', and were hunting it down?

Also, about 4 years ago, I had almost forgotton about the wolf sighting, and I took my dog for a walk up there. I don't often go there, as I now live about 3 miles away, and I kind of stumbled into this field not thinking. I paused on the rise as I suddenly remembered where I was, and the dog started to growl. We shot out of there pretty quick I can tell you!.

I saw a weird animal while I was in NZ.

We were out riding one day through a forest, we set off back to the horse box as dusk approached.

On the way back, an animal ran out in front off us and it freaked the horses out. I was as large as a pig, but had fur like a rabbit (maybe) and it had a long tail, seemed furry but slim. An its moved so swiftly. Its face reminded me of a Degu maybe, cross guienua pig. It wasnt a wallaby as it didnt look like one and it ran on 4 legs like, maybe a cat would. We only got a brief glimpse of it and it was dusk - but it was like nothing I have ever seen before. The thing has stuck in my mind ever since.

Both me and my friend were gobsmacked and have never been able to find out what it was since. I though it might be some NZ animal, but my friend had lived there for 20 years and never seen or heard anything like it!

If anyone has any ideas of what it might be - I'd be grateful to hear from you.

Thanks,

x Vorzheva x

I can still vividly recall wandering the empty deserts of Arizona in my youth ( this was a big deal for me, having been, up to that point, born and raised in the city ) coming home with pockets stuffed full of lizards and insects ( much to my mother's horror ). On one desert expedition, after a particularly hard rainstorm, I discovered the fresh corpse of a large green iguana, it's head turned skyward, it's open mouth still full of rainwater. This was several miles from the nearest settlement, and in a particularly rocky and inaccessable area. How the heck a huge, tropical iguana wound up in the middle of the southwestern desert is quite beyond me - still puzzles me to this day.

Not a weird animal sighting, but more of an out-of-place one - about 10 years ago, I was staying at a friends house during the summer. We were stood in his living room, which has French windows looking onto a patio. At outside edges of these windows were hanging baskets of flowers. As we were stood chatting, I saw a hummingbird approach one of the baskets, apparently attracted by the flowers. I drew my friends' attention to it, but he failed to spot it before it moved away. To this day this still strikes me as odd!

Vorzheva said:
I saw a weird animal while I was in NZ.

We were out riding one day through a forest, we set off back to the horse box as dusk approached.

On the way back, an animal ran out in front off us and it freaked the horses out. I was as large as a pig, but had fur like a rabbit (maybe) and it had a long tail, seemed furry but slim. An its moved so swiftly. Its face reminded me of a Degu maybe, cross guienua pig. It wasnt a wallaby as it didnt look like one and it ran on 4 legs like, maybe a cat would. We only got a brief glimpse of it and it was dusk - but it was like nothing I have ever seen before. The thing has stuck in my mind ever since.

Both me and my friend were gobsmacked and have never been able to find out what it was since. I though it might be some NZ animal, but my friend had lived there for 20 years and never seen or heard anything like it!

If anyone has any ideas of what it might be - I'd be grateful to hear from you.

Thanks,

x Vorzheva x

Possibly was a pig. I know that in NZ some pigs have gone feral, typically they grow back their hair and some eventually grow back tusks after a few generations. Can cause a lot of trouble, killing new born lambs ect.

out of place animals

We were driving up the motorway a few years ago - that is, my husband was driving and I was comfortably dozing.

I was a little anxious that husband had been driving too long and had offered to take over but he had said he was ok, so I was half dozing and half keeping an eye on him in case he nodded off.

There had been a long silence and then he suddenly burst out with 'Good God! - are those giraffes???!' I shot bolt upright and wide awake, ready to grab the wheel as I was convinced he reaaly had fallen asleep. I must admit I admonished him sharply for letting himself get to a state where he was hallucinating but he pointed ahead with a smug look and - lo and behold! In front of us was a HUGE livestock transporter type vehicle emblazoned along its sides and back with the words 'New Additions to Whipsnade Zoo' - and sure enough, extending out from the back for all the world like the world's largest back seat nodding dogs were a beautiful pair of giraffes. It was the most inconguous sight, and I did worry for a while afterwards, as to whether they would safely fit under the bridges! It made my day though!!

JerryB said:
Not a weird animal sighting, but more of an out-of-place one - about 10 years ago, I was staying at a friends house during the summer. We were stood in his living room, which has French windows looking onto a patio. At outside edges of these windows were hanging baskets of flowers. As we were stood chatting, I saw a hummingbird approach one of the baskets, apparently attracted by the flowers. I drew my friends' attention to it, but he failed to spot it before it moved away. To this day this still strikes me as odd!

I think I can solve this one, it could have been a hummingbird hawk moth, still quite rare and very beautiful, but not a bird I'm afraid. It's a very well known case of mistaken identity in the UK and the US.

HummingbirdHawkMothSF%20180_tcm3-41669.jpg

MOTH10.GIF

Nine years ago, my father-in-law passed away. He lived in the next county east of here and so that summer I made quite a few trips back and forth from our house to his (moving stuff, maintenance, etc.) We live in north-central Indiana and the land is mostly rural (crop fields, 5-acre woods) One day late in August, my 6 year old daughter and I were driving over there to get a few boxes. About 3/4 of the way there, she said to me, "What kind of animal is that?" and pointed to the row of trees bordering the field on her side of the road. As I slowed down to look, my first thought (before seeing it) was that it was probably a deer (plentiful around here), stray dog, or possibly a coyote (they've made quite a comeback in the last 15 - 20 years) Instead what I saw looked EXACTLY like a large, reddish-colored hyena, slowly loping away, next to the treeline. I was stunned to say the least. I told my daughter "It's just a stray dog" although it was most definitely not any kind of dog I've ever seen. Physically, it was very unique. Very large, very muscular. Short rear legs, pronounced hump at the shoulders, short dark red hair with a ridge of longer hair running down its back wide muzzle. Running with that peculiar stiff-legged lope that hyenas have. We watched it for about 20 seconds until it disappeared in the woods at the back of the field. Any thoughts? Since then I've read some reports on an extinct animal that lived in the Idaho/Montana mountains relatively recently that resembled a cross between an hyena and a wolf. As soon as I read this description, I immediately thought of what we saw although obviously the time and place are completely wrong. I've lived around animals my whole life and this was something very different - not a cow, not a pig, not a horse, etc.

Hello Everyone,

It's too uncanny that I should find a message in my e-mail regarding this topic, because just this morning I spoke with a neighbor who has seen an unidentified creature on my buildings premises. The funny thing is my sister has seen it too. It hides in the garage, out back. My sister said it looked like a deer at first but then on closer inspection she swore it was a half fox/half kangaroo looking thing. And oddly enough, a few days later I was on the anomalist website and came across the whole fiasco surrounding the creature being spotted up in texas.
So this morning, my neighbor mentioned how she comes into the building from the wooded area out back and I related to her that I never go that way anymore because of the odd critters I see every now and then, and lo and behold she told me of her encounter with the Fox/Kangaroo! What is it?
And too make things stranger I think I have heard it making a chirpy birdlike sound mingled with a kind of doglike growl!!!
Now I am dreading walking home tonight because it gets darker earlier now and who knows what's lurking in there!

WW

Beany said:

One of the stations on the eastern end of the Circle Line is supposed to have a resident colony of scorpions

Ongar station used to have a colony in the 70s, I've not heard anything about it recently.

There are still large colonies in a few dock areas in London, I believe. The species involved is the small brown European Euscorpius flavicaudus, not very venomous, apparently.

There are 'water scorpions' native to the UK, but they're not actually scorpions, they're a bug. They live underwater, and their 'sting' is actually a breathing tube. They look quite a lot like a dead leaf with legs.

Pseudoscorpions are also native to the UK, and they are arachnids, and do have scorpion-like pincers. They don't have a sting. They're not familiar to most people on account of being only a few millimetres long.

also, the early stages of many insects look a lot like a scorpion, and they start their life underwtarer in rivers and lakes (flyfishers know them well and imitate them with underwater "nymph" flies)

wintermute~ said:
I've never seen any OOP animals myself, but over the years I've been suprised at what people have told me they've seen.

A creature described as somewhat like the cartoon Tasmanian Devil in Todmorden (W. Yorks)

In last month's FT, on the letters page, was something that made me think of this old post.
The letter was titled 'Cartoon Tulpoids?' and mentions several other sightings of beings or creatures that resemble actual cartoon characters! From what I understand the author is of the opinion that the cartoon folk are another (modern) form of what we perceived as the old fairies and elves, having evolved to keep up with the times.

Anyone else know of any sightings of cartoon beings? :D

(Not sure if this needs to be in a different thread, or even the start of a new one, feel free to merge/move!)

There's a thriving colony of around 30 wallabies living wild in the swampland in the north of the Isle of Man - descendents of escapees from the local wildlife park.

Must be pretty hardy to survive the Manx weather, so would seem ideal candidates for colonies elsewhere in Britain.

http://www.iomonline.co.im/newsstory.asp?storyid=16783&arc=True

Manx Wallabies

Any decision over the future of the Isle of Man's wild wallabies needs to be based on "proper evidence", the Manx Wildlife Trust (MWT) has said.

A study of the marsupials' population size and impact is being carried out before a control policy is set.

MWT CEO Leigh Morris said there was a "whole load of things that we do not know" about the non-native species. It comes as animal rights organisation PETA has urged the government to find "humane ways" to manage the population.

More than 100 are thought to live on the island after several escaped from a wildlife park in the 1960s.

In a statement, PETA said it had written to the Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture (DEFA) to advise against culling, which "only causes animal suffering", adding other non-lethal control methods could be used.

These included changing the animals' habitats through exclusion and repellents, or using contraception or sterilisation programmes, the charity added.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-61081452

Bear in mind they live in a RAMSAR nature reserve.

(what are their natural predators anyway?)

Two things.

Nope, no objection to cull of Feral Goats.

(But they dont live on a RAMSAR site...)

And why PETA? Do we really, truly, trust animals with PETA????

Third observation...In my experience the Manx nature people arent interested in things that live on land.

Back