• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Bus Stop Encounter

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Must be around 30 years ago now.

So, just on my way home from a later shift, it's about 8 o'clock at night, it's in winter and I duly disembark from my local bus stop in the Scottish Borders.

It's the X95 bus, which runs from Edinburgh to Carlisle and that stop is just out of town - it's kinda isolated.

There's a young lad waiting at the bus stop, he's around 5ft 6in tall, with curly hair and couldn't have been much older than 15-16. Think of Elijah Wood as Frodo...

As he's seemingly hesitant about getting on the bus. I duly enquire, 'You wanting on?'

He responds - although this is obviously not exact, I do recall this relatively clearly because of the shock:

'Don't think I'll bother. It's just that I got a text from my ma saying my brothers been stabbed to death down in Doncaster'.

I'm naturally heartfelt, 'So sorry to hear about that'.

He simply then walks away, down a path, which is in the proverbial 'pitch darkness, and only leads, eventually to a few houses near the River Tweed.

When I got home, I decided it was such a bizzare experience that I phoned the local Doncaster newspaper.

Having explained the background:

'Never heard about this incident, if it had happened, we would have known about it'.

At the time, I subsequently concluded he did live in one if the houses at the bottom of that path, was intending heading down south on that Carlisle bus, decided not to go and just went back home.

Why though, would you text such dreadful news instead of phoning?

Maybe the family were estranged... that's certainly possible.

Why though, zero knowledge of that "seriously newsworthy incident" at the local newspaper?

The fact this all happened in the dark of a winter's eve and then he disappeared down a lane which only ends up where hardly anyone lives...

A mystery to this day...

I was just thinking how I was also able to look up name of the local Doncaster newspaper online.

My timeline's way out for this.

I know where I was working at that time, hence the noted 'late shift'.

It was actually circa 15 years ago - just shows you... Good spot Sir!

Text, as in a letter? Mobiles was far and few between in those days, and SMS wasn't available until 1992.
I'm clearly going to have check this out. Certainly occurred, although I still might have mistaken the date. Be back, soon as...

Text, as in a letter? Mobiles was far and few between in those days, and SMS wasn't available until 1992.
I'm clearly going to have check this out. Certainly occurred, although I still might have mistaken the date. Be back, soon as...
After much searching through boxes of old paperwork, the contract I was thinking of is established as dating from Dec 2009 - May 2010.

There had to be texting, as a mainstay was a backup for Social Services care involving some of the largest counties in England.

Constant, urgent, requests for registered Carers to fill a shift - generally at short notice for an overnight placement - would result in a barrage of texts being sent to local Carers on the database who had confirmed they were available if required.

After much searching through boxes of old paperwork, the contract I was thinking of is established as dating from Dec 2009 - May 2010.

There had to be texting, as a mainstay was a backup for Social Services care involving some of the largest counties in England.

Constant, urgent, requests for registered Carers to fill a shift - generally at short notice for an overnight placement - would result in a barrage of texts being sent to local Carers on the database who had confirmed they were available if required.
I was a NHS ward worker starting Dec '99, the NHS had a sort of internal only text thing called 'MOX'. Not so long ago, I re found that old printed on small envelope sized paper message from a co worker warning me that a nurse was in a grumpy mood that day .. hardly anyone in the UK compared to today had an email address back then .. I remember mobile phone texting becoming affordable to most around '93 time in the UK, that's when I had my Nokia .. and you could leave your doors unlocked .. now get off my lawn! :omr:

Last edited:
Now that the timeframe issue has been resolved ...

... Why though, would you text such dreadful news instead of phoning?

When the news is fresh, your nerves are playing havoc, and you feel the need to get the word out to as many people as possible as fast as possible (i.e., to avoid delays caused by the inevitable chatting such news triggers).

Why though, zero knowledge of that "seriously newsworthy incident" at the local newspaper? ...

If the news were fresh, the contact at the newspaper office may not have been aware of it (yet). If I'm reading post#1 correctly, the delay between the encounter and your newspaper contact was no longer than the time of the bus ride and however long you waited at home until making the phone call.

Texting became popular with the invention of the 2g (GENERATION) mobile phones in the late 90s.

Texting became popular with the invention of the 2g (GENERATION) mobile phones in the late 90s.
Illegal ravers were texting each other earlier than the late 90's as I remember it .. I knew one crew who were also printing fake bar code labels to get around the police finding out where the parties were going to happen .. you'd buy the product from the person working there who'd manually key in the price instead, the numbers underneath the bar code on the label would be the phone number to call to find the next meet up point, as a novelty, if the bar code was scanned at all, the bars would spell out the number on your receipt although the price would obviously be wrong, you could ask for the receipt anyway if you were cheeky enough .. I've still got one of those labels in a scrapbook :)

Last edited:
maybe it was a paging service ?
It would just have been a standard text, Henry.

Just shows you... I had this in mind as being so much earlier.

Ironic of course that I recently started the thread, 'Sometimes My Mind Plays Tricks on Me' and there's myself at it as well!

I could have sworn it was many years before then and hey, thanks to your good selves, realised that didn't make any sense!

Thankfully, I can now equate precisely when it actually happened.

There's an addendum to this story which now makes sense of where it occurred.

That X95 bus service runs on the A7 from Edinburgh to Carlisle, via Galashiels, Selkirk, Hawick and Langholm.

However, there were a couple of evening buses which diverted between Galashiels and Selkirk to stop off at the Borders General Hospital (BGH) near Melrose, just a short detour, to accommodate visiting hours. That took myself to the bus stop I would normally get off.

However, it didn't divert as normal, instead, missing out the turn to the BGH. There was a shout from the other passengers and myself... 'driver, you've missed the turn there..'

Driver eventually stops the bus - I now remember this clearly - and checks his paper timetable schedule...

'Sorry folks, first time I've driven this route and thought we just went straight to Carlisle'. He announces that there's no foreseeable turning point to go back, so I had to get off at the next stop, now in the countryside.

Real pain for myself (and pity the poor
folks waiting for their bus at the BGH!) as it's a 40 minute walk back to the house from where I'm now dropped off.

So... get off the bus and there's this young guy standing there.

'You wanting on the bus, mate?'

'Nah... don't think I'll bother... just that I had this text from my ma...'.

Someone I know was informed of her brother’s suicide via a text from her husband. Seems very callous to me but people deal with bad news in different ways I suppose.

Oddly enough....

A couple of years ago I was standing at the local bus stop when a local i know to nod to in passing (he went to the same school as me, a year or two younger) asked me conspiratorially if it was true my brother had been stabbed to death in Spain.

If he had, he had failed to inform me. It was clearly something he had heard, but from whom and why and how such a rumour had come into existence i got no answer to.

Someone I know was informed of her brother’s suicide via a text from her husband. Seems very callous to me but people deal with bad news in different ways I suppose.
Absolutely, especially if the family is estranged. What I, personally, simply can't equate is that that the encounter was so bizarre - just 'fleeting', out in the countryside and such that....

Yea, mate, when I eventually got back home some forty minutes later on a freezing, dark winters night, I felt compelled to look up the local Doncaster newspaper.

Thinking back now... it was *never" at all about confirming his story... for sure.
Simply that I was so taken by the lads grief - and he exhibited same - I wanted to know the exact circumstances of his brother's death in that stabbing incident.

Result of call to local newspaper...'No knowledge of this and we would absolutely have heard about it'.

Yours sincerely,.

Still Baffled.

Why would anyone try to get from the Borders to Donny via Carlisle?

I'm assuming via Newcastle. I've had to do a couple of fairly circuitous routes myself via Carlisle - unless you're heading directly north or south via the west coast main line, it always feels a bit like your heading in the wrong direction, wherever your heading. And I'm assuming it's just easier to get to Carlisle from that area of the borders on public transport - even though it looks further away than the other options. Maybe.

Last edited:
Buses are pretty bad for direct routes. I've made a few decently long-distance journeys by bus and it is rarely easy to go from A to B, you usually have to go via intermediate places and often not the most logical ones either.

Regarding texting, I didn't have a mobile in the mid-90s (early 00s for me) but I did have various friends who used SMS heavily from about 1997. They could only text to other subscribers of the same network provider at first.

Because if was the simple way to do so.
No trains and the X95 from Edinburgh to Carlisle - stopping off every main Borders town takes you to Carlisle and then a train/bus from there further south!

I have heard of people having their phone stolen and then using them to text relatives, bit sick but it happens.

I don't want to be alarmist but seriously, if I confused an event happening EIGHT years ago with one happening THIRTY years ago I'd be concerned. That's not a normal amount of confusion. If it was me I'd want to be checked out neurologically.

depending how old you are ...
To be fair, before I posted the anecdote, I had written (I remember this!) 'Must be around 20 years ago now...'.

...and then thought... 'it must be older than that?', so I changed it to '30'!.

It's actually been an intriguing revelation - and quite shocking - just how far out you can be with 'instant recollections'.

And yes, maybe ye olde brain's not so sharp these days!

I don't want to be alarmist but seriously, if I confused an event happening EIGHT years ago with one happening THIRTY years ago I'd be concerned. That's not a normal amount of confusion. If it was me I'd want to be checked out neurologically.
My Solicitor will be contacting you shortly.

Said to forewarn you, 'Expect the Mother of All Lawsuits'...

Back