• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Business-Proposition Emails

She's probably some hairy-arsed Russian Mafioso into people trafficking.

Got this today:

Dear Beloved

As you read this, I don't want you to feel sorry for me, because, I believe
everyone will die someday. My name is NASH MAHAR I am a merchant of Oman
nationality but presently residing in london.I have been diagnosed with
Esophageal cancer .It has defiled all forms of medical treatment, and right
now I have only about a few months to live, according to medical experts.

I have not particularly lived my life so well, as I never really cared for
anyone(not even myself)but my business. Though I am very rich, I was never
generous, I was always hostile to people and only focused on my business as
that was the only thing I cared for. But now I regret all this as I now know
that there is more to life than just wanting to have or make all the money
in the world.

I believe when God gives me a second chance to come to this world I would
live my life a different way from how I have lived it. Now that God has
called me, I have willed and given most of my property and assets to my
immediate and extended family members as well as a few close friends.

I want God to be merciful to me and accept my soul so, I have decided to
give alms to charity
organizations, as I want this to be one of the last good deeds I do on
earth. So far, I have distributed money to some charity organizations in the
Oman, Algeria and Malaysia. Now that my health has deteriorated so badly, I
cannot do this myself anymore. I once asked members of my family to close
one of my accounts and distribute the money which I have there to charity
organization in Bulgaria and Pakistan, they refused and kept the money to
themselves. Hence, I do not trust them anymore, as they seem not to be
contended with what I have left for them. The last of my money which no one
knows of is the huge cash deposit of eighteen million dollars 18,000,000
that I have with a finance Company in europe. I will want you to help me
collect this
deposit and dispatche it to charity organizations.

Get back to me through my private email: [email protected]

I have set aside 20% for you and for your time.

God be with you.

Nash Mahar

Not sure if this counts as a business proposition, but rather odd all the same: shame 'Hugo' jilted this lady:

Hello!!!
How are you? My name is Olga. I am 27 years old. I live in Russia,
city Yoshkar-Ola. I am cheerful woman, and like to do many things as
camping, go to the cinema, dances etc. In a word I like to do all what
like all people.
My dream this travel abroad. I know the english language well enough..
I began to study english language approximately one year ago. I want
to tell you history which have pushed me write to you. 8 months ago I
have got acquainted with the man from other country by name Hugo.
During this time we had good relations. We have understood that our
relations become serious and we have decided to meet in his country. I
wrote the application for reception the visa.
I waited reception of the visa approximately half of year. All time I
kept in touch with Hugo through the internet and often called to each
other. I and Hugo waited reception of the visa to our meeting. I have
received the invitation from the ambassador for reception of the visa.
My director has given me long-term holiday from work and I have gone
to Moscow to receive the visa. I informed good news to Hugo, but he
has answered, that does not want our meeting.
He played with me. He has informed that has the wife with two children
and at all has no plans to meet me. I was not ready to such turn of
events. I could not think what even after 8 months of acquaintance he
can so unscrupulously act with me. Now I am in Moscow I don't want
that all was gone for nothing and will be glad if my visa will be
useful to our meeting. I could arrive already through 6-7 days, but a
problem in that that now I have no man which would like my arrival.
Probably it will silly sound but if you will be interested in a
meeting with the good woman i will like to meet you sometime
soon!
As Hugo was dishonest with me I have decided to find the man which is
interested to meet the woman from Russia. I do not know your ideas
about my letter, but it would be fine if we could meet and have some
weeks or months together. On my trip I want to receive rest from my
work and a life in Russia. Also the basic purpose for the future it is
search good men for serious attitudes which go to a marriage. I have
no children, and i haven't been married before. I am the mature woman
and ready to creation of family with good man. I don't know what you
really search in the future but if we could meet I will be happy to
discuss with you more about our meeting. What are you going to do this
time? It would be fine if we could meet, do friendship or more than
simply friendship. I will be happy if you also have a free time and we
could meet soon. I do not know your interests, but anyhow write to me
back and I will tell to you more about myself. Write to me all that
you want. Maybe we have similar plans and it will be interesting to us
together.

You can write all that you want. Ask any questions which interest you.
I will tell more about myself and send my photos.

Please, write to me back on my regular e-mail: [email protected]
wish you a good day
Olga from Russia
[/quote]

Got this today:

MANAGING PARTNER
TANFIRELD CHAMBERS & ASSOCIATES LAW FIRM
2-5 Warwick Court,London,WC1R 5DJ.
DX:LONDON, Chancery land - United Kingdom

FINAL NOTIFICATION OF BEQUEST

Dear Beneficiary

On behalf of the Trustees and Executor of the estate of Late Engr.Vantuyne Runny Wilfried; I once again try to notify you as my earlier letter was returned undelivered.

I hereby attempt to reach you again by this same email address stated on the WILL. I wish to notify you that late Engr.Vantuyne Runny Wilfried made you a beneficiary to his WILL. He left the sum of Seven Million One Hundred Thousand Dollars (USD$7,100.000.00 ) to you in the codicil and last testament to his WILL.

Being a widely travelled man, he must have been in contact with you in the past or simply you were recommended to him by one of his numerous friends abroad who wished you good.

Engr. Vantuyne Runny Wilfried until his death was a member of the Helicopter Society and the Institute of Electronic & Electrical Engineers. He was a very dedicated Christian who loved to be involved in charitable projects. His great
philanthropy earned him numerous awards during his life time.

Late Engr.Vantuyne Runny Wilfried died on the 13th day of December, 2004 at the age of 52 years, and his WILL is now ready for execution.

According to him this money is to support your humanitarian activities and to help the poor and the needy in our society.
Please if I reach you this time as I am hopeful, endeavour to get back to me as soon as possible to enable me conclude my job.

I hope to hear from you in no distant time.

Yours in Service,

BARRISTER TIM ALLEN ESQ.
Reply to the email address bellow

[email protected].

One for the "Weird Names" thread there. "Runny"? Cruel parents!

i'm not sure what the plot of this is? Maybe just trying to get my address and phone number to sell on? or something more sinister?

"Nelson Brown" <[email protected]>
Add sender to Contacts
To:
undisclosed-recipients
The Free National Lottery Commission
101 Wig more Street
London
W1U 1QU
United Kingdom
Email: [email protected]

Reference number B206-35-707
Ticket numbers 490-15-54-35

Dear Winner,

We are glad to inform you that your E-mail address appears as the confirmed
Winner of our last email lottery program held on the 14th of Nov. 2008.
Your e-mail address attached to Reference number B206-35-707, lucky numbers 490-15-54-35, which consequently won in the 2nd category, you have therefore been approved for a lump sum payment of Ј3,500.000.00 euros. [Three Million and five hundred thousand British Pounds only]

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
This promotional program takes place every year. All participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from over 200,000 companies and 50,000, 000 individual email addresses and names from all over the world.

In order to avoid unnecessary delays and complications please remember to quote your reference number and lucky numbers in all correspondence. We ask that you should keep your winning information confidential until your claim has been processed and your money remitted to you.
To file for your claim or for further details please contact the officer in charge of your winning and forward the required details stated below via a plain text message:
Contact Details for claim release process
Name: Ronald Gunter
In respect of our commitment towards helping the less privilege, we ask that you voluntarily contribute 1% of your Global winnings to any charity organization you desire at your convenience.

Note: All winning must be claimed not later than 4th Quarter of this fiscal year 2008

Congratulations once more from our members of staff and thank you for being part of our promotional program.

This email and its attachments are confidential and may contain legally privileged information. You should not disclose the contents to any other person. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.

FREE LOTTERY INTERNATIONAL PROMOTIONS/PRIZE AWARD DEPT.

Please provide the following fill and forward the form below via a plain text message in order to have your claim process for release.

FORM
Internet lottery
The Free Lotto Organization
UK (United Kingdom)

LOTTERY PAYMENT APPLICATION FORM
(To be completed by lottery winners only)

Ticket Number:
Reference Number:
Full Name:
Home Address:
Telephone (Home)/ Mobile:
Fax (Private or Office):
Email Address:
Year of Birth:
Marital Status:
I............................hereby declare that the above information are true and binding on me. If at any time it is discovered that I have given false information, I will forfeit my rights to my winnings.

Yours Sincerely,

Mr. Peter Rossman
(Lottery Coordinator)
IMPORTANT NOTICE.

Please be informed that NON RESIDENTS of Ireland and United Kingdom will be required to procure a Affidavits of Lotto Claim/Court clearance certificate from the Magistrate Court in the United Kingdom prior to award payment policy of Organizers/European Gaming Board as required by the Clearance office.

Please be aware that your Paying Authority wills Effect Payment Swiftly upon satisfactory Report, Verifications and validation provided by this Clearance Office

Greetings in the name of the lord.

A letter from me to you.Mrs. Deborah Hutchinson, 62yrs old from Switzerland. You might be wondering where I got your contacts from but I have really taken my time in searching thoroughly. You came into my mind has the lord has directed me to and am willing to do so. I have noticed that you are God fearing, courageous, fulfilling and ambitious in life. I want you to know that you have been the chosen one and please, try and do my will because each of my words or statements must not go unfulfilled reaching the unprivileged,orphanages and the needy as you are blessed.

Dear Beloved One, I am the above named person but now undergoing medical treatment in Western Africa. I am married to Mr. Williams Dale Hutchinson, who worked as a world contractor for over a decade before he died. We were married for fifteen years without a child. He died after a brief illness that lasted for two weeks. Before his death he made a vow to use his wealth for the down troddenand the less privileged in the society. Since his death I decided not to re-marry or get a child outside my matrimonial home. When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of ten million United States dollars ($12.000.00 millions us dollars) with a Vault with a bank in Western Africa. Presently, this money is still there.

Recently, my Doctor told me that I would not last for the next three months due to cancer problem. Though what disturbs me most is my stroke. Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to an individual or better still a God fearing person who will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct here in. I want an individual that will use this to fund and provide succor I understand that blessed is the hand that giveth. I took this decision because I do not have any child and relatives.

I do not want my husband's hard earned money to be misused or spent in the manner in which my late husband did not specify. I do not want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly manner,hence the reason for taking this bold decision. I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going.

I know that I am going to be in the bosom of the Almighty. With God all things are possible. My happiness is that I lived a life worthy of emulation. Whosoever that wants to serve the Almighty must serve him with all his heart and mind and soul and also in truth. Please always be prayerful all through your life.

Please assure me that you will act according to my specification herein. Lastly i want you to also reply me with some vital information of yours such as:

Full Name:

State and Zip Code:

sex:

phone number:

occupation etc......

Hoping to hear from you.

Thank you and May the Almighty bless you.

Yours sincerely,

Mrs. Deborah Hutchinson

:shock:

I see that a recent one I received is archived online:

Blackstone Chambers is referenced in emails that appear to be fraudulent or bogus. If you get an e-mail that is similar to one in our collection of scam and hoax emails, you should ignore it. Do not contact anyone listed on the email or give out any personal information. Never pay any fees of any kind.    You may want to visit other pages or sites to learn more.

http://www.svbizlaw.com/emails.blackstone-chambers.htm

Mark Vinall is a real QC. I'm unclear from brief Internet browsing about whether Blackstone Chambers is a place, a firm or a cyberspace. Probably the name of both person and place is being taken in vain.

I will have to accent (sic) to this it seems!

e-mail follows as received:

Blackstone Chambers
Blackstone House
Temple
London LDE 281 (London)
44-75-23-51-90-67

Good day,

This is a personal official email directed to you and I request that it be treated as such. I am Barrister Mark Vinall, a solicitor at law. I am the personal attorney/sole executor to the late Mr Randolf (Surname Withheld),herein after referred to as' my client' who worked as an independent oil magnate in my country and who died in a car crash with his immediate family on the 4th of oct,1998.

Since the death of my client in oct, 1998, I have written several letters to the embassy with an intent to locate any of his extended relatives whom shall be claimants/beneficiaries of his abandoned personal estate and all such efforts have been to no avail.

Moreso,I have received official letters in the last few weeks suggesting a likely proceeding for confiscation of his abandoned personal assets in line with existing laws by the bank in which my client deposited the sum of 13.8 million U.S.D.

On this note I decided to search for a credible person and finding that you bear a similar last name, I was urged to contact you, that I may, with your consent, present you to the "trustee" bank as my late client's surviving family member so as to enable you put up a claim to the bank in that capacity as a next of kin of my client.

I find this possible for the fuller reasons that you bear a similar last name with my client making it a lot easier for you to put up a claim in that capacity. I propose that 45% of the net sum will accrue to you at the conclusion of this deal in so far as I do not incur further expenses.

Therefore, to facilitate the immediate transfer of this fund, you need, first to contact me via email signifying your interest and as soon as I obtain your confidence, I will immediately appraise you with the complete details as well as fax you the documents, with which you are to proceed and I shall direct on how to put up an application to the bank.
HOWEVER, you will have to accent to an express agreement which I will forward to
you in order to bind us in this transaction.

Upon the receipt of your reply, I will send you by fax or E-mail the next step to take. I will not fail to bring to your notice that this proposal is hitch-free and that you should not entertain any fears as the required arrangements have been made for the completion of this transfer. Like I said, I require only a solemn confidentiality on this.

Best Regards,
Mark Vinall, QC*

e-mail ends.

*My last contact with a QC was much more informal. I suppose his scars have healed. Any QCs who would like the same service should reply via the usual tree-trunk. Discretion assured.

BlackRiverFalls said:
i'm not sure what the plot of this is? Maybe just trying to get my address and phone number to sell on? or something more sinister?
I expect the kicker comes in here:
In respect of our commitment towards helping the less privilege [sic], we ask that you voluntarily contribute 1% of your Global winnings to any charity organization you desire at your convenience.
So they want you to pay 35,000 GBP/Euro (? that bit is not very clear, another warning sign) to charity out of all your millions.

And almost certainly the formalities and the paperwork require that you part with this before you can receive your millions.....

...which of course you never see! 8)

I will immediately appraise you with the complete details

'Cause there's no point in continuing the scam if you aren't worth much!

Another gem from my work inbox. This has to be the crappest scam email ever. Who in their right mind would deal with a guy called Dumas?

I bet if you ask him, it is pronounced Doo-mar...

Hello,

My name is Mr.David Dumas, Please kindly permit me of my desire to inform you about this deal which I have been wrapping up for years now. Although this proposal may come to you as a suprise, but I would want you to understand that this deal is 100% legal and risk free, though it requires confidentiality. What I need from you is trust and your honest coperation for us to execute this project.If you really believe in deal, get back to me. please write me back with this email address ( [email protected] )

I await your urgent response.

Have my best regards.
Mr.David Dumas,

maybe i will email him back from my web based email and find out what happens if i say i really believe in deal.

ok, let's have a laugh with this:

Thank you for your weird business proposition email
Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:42 PM
To: [email protected]

Dear Mr Dumass,

I give to you many thank you's for your inform me of your wrapping up business.

This project of trust and honesty is sounding well worth the execute. I believe in deal if it is good deal but not bad deal.

Please have more be telling me.

Marie Strawberry

Heres a good on and I also won £500,000 in the MicroSoft Lottery today. Bill Gates is so generous.

Dear Beloved In Christ,

I am Mrs Lisia Manuel, I am married to Dr. Manuel Akoma From Ivory Coast , I and my late husband was into, Estate management and also a government building contractor before my husband earlier death last year January 26 2007. We were married for eleven years without a child due my fibriod problem. He died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days.Before his death we were both born again Christian. Since his death I have decided not to remarry or get a child outside my matrimonial home . When my late husband was alive we deposited the sum of $5.5Million (USD) dollars in a Security Firm.Presently the money is still in the Security Firm. Recently, my Doctor told me that I would not last for the next Four months due to cancer problem. From all indications, my condition is really deteriorating and is quite obvious that I may not live more than two months, because the cancer stage has gotten to a very dangerous stage . Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to good person that will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct herein.

I want to you use at last 80% this fund for orphanages, widows and and also propagating the word of God and to endeavor that the house of God is maintained and take the remaining 20% to take good care of your good God Given Home. l took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money . This is why I am taking this decision to donate this fund for charity. I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going. I know that I am going to be in the bosom of the Lord.Exodus 14 VS 14 says that "the lord will fight my case and I shall hold my peace".
I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health .My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian. Whoever that Wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and Truth, always be prayerful all through your life.

Write to me on the this email address immediately and any delay in your reply will give me room in sourcing another good person, for this same purpose.Assure me that you will act accordingly as I Stated herein.
Hoping to receive your response immedaitely.
Thanks and Remain blessed in the Lord.

l remain yours sister in Christ.
Mrs Lisia Manuel

Just got this one:

Dear sir/madame

My name is Mrs. Justine Neath,Major Recruit Personnel for China Qianjiang Group of Companies in United Kingdom.An establishment that deals in the Import and export and the largest motorcycle producing and selling company in China, with annual output of more than 1,000,000 units.It occupies an area of 670,000m and has over 11,000 staff members.Our company produces motorcycles ranged from 50cc to 250cc,and we also manufacture the products concerned with the motorcycles,such as the mini motorcycle,ATV,gas-scooter,generator,high pressure water cleaner,garden tools,powerpump,vacuum pump.Among these products,20% products are exported to Europe,America,Middle East,Northeast Asia and Africa more than 68 countries.Our products are well received by our clients.

At the moment, we need a representative in United States to handle payments coming from our clients in the US and Canada. I want you to work for the company either from your office desk on break,lunch hour or from home at your comfort and make 10% ( pay as you go) salary on every payment you re-direct for the company.You do not have to spend a dime and if handle 4 payments, you get paid 4 times and you do not run any personal expense. We pay you for everything .Your salary on each payment after other expenses we would pay you for is estimated at 300 - 400 Dollars.Just Imagine if you work 3 or 4 times a week.And please know that Everything is absolutely legal,that's why You have to fill a contract!If you are interested in our offer. Interested applicants who would abide by all legal rules and regulations abiding laws in the United States should kindly click on REPLY { [email protected]. } and fill the application/questionnaire below :

APPLICATION FORM =============================================================================
First Name:
Last name:
Address(not p.o.box):
City:
State:
Zip code:
Phone Number:(Home and Mobile)
Marital Status:
Sex:
Bank Name:
Annual Average Income:
Present Occupation: =============================================================================
Upon receipt of your application,employment confirmation would be sent to you and your job resumes immediately.

If you need to talk to someone about more information on the job or work scope you reply this email: [email protected].

ONLY SERIOUS MINDED CLIENTS WHO ARE REACHABLE BY PHONE AND EMAIL AT LEAST EVERYDAY ARE REQUIRED.
Regards. Mrs. Justine Neath CEO Director, Imp. & Exp. Dept. China Qianjiang Group Devon EX32 7DT England uk +447035902970

Heres a rather stupid attempt. They obviously don't even know what Oxfam is.

OXFAM GB -UK has awarded you £850,000 from her cash/grant donation. Contact Dr.Terry Williams via [email protected] Qualification Number(OG/N231/E101/BDB)

My junk mail has recently taken a step upmarket....

This is how you become a CSI. Get your Forensics Degree‏
Sent: 11 February 2009 06:14:52

CPCForensic1.jpg

...I want to be Catherine Willows.

Looks preferable to the offer of 'home made incest videos' i got as a spam email title once :shock:

this is an odd one i got to my work email today. a bit different 'cos the sender has apparently got my real name from some job adverts we have out and tried to use that to his advantage. or maybe he just has quite a clever bot:

Dear Marie Strawberry,

I am Mr Frankie Tan Lyn Seang, a legal practitioner with Frankie Tan Lyn Seang law firm in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, I saw your contact and profile and decided that you could cooperate with me in this proposition.

I have a client who was deceased in November 2005,in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.I am contacting you because you have the same surname as my deceased client and i felt that you could help me in the distribution of funds that were left in my deceased client's account.

This fund is close to been declared un-serviceable by the finance house as there were no indicated next of kin or next of beneficiary of the fund in the account, having remained dormant for long.The total amount of cash in the account of my deceased client is US$ 6.7 Million ( Six Million, Seven Hundred Thousand United States dollars Only ).

The finance house had issued me, a notification to contact the next of kin of my deceased client, to make beneficiary claim, of the fund in the account, with a month surcharge of 6% to be deducted as an Escrow safe keeping fee of the account,so as to avoid the indefinite closure of the account.

My proposition to you is to seek your consent, and to present your kind self as the next-of-kin and beneficiary of my deceased client, since you have the same last name with him.

This means that the proceeds of his account would be paid to you as his next of kin or the legitimate beneficiary.When the proceeds in his account are paid to you, we would share the proceeds on a mutually agreed-upon percentage of 60% to me and 40% to your kind self.

All the legal documents to back up your claim as my client's next of-kin would be provided by me. The most important thing I would need is your honesty, utmost confidentiality and cooperation in this proposition.This would be done under a legitimate arrangement that would protect you from any breach of the law.

Please If this business proposition offends your Value,feel free to decline this proposal..And do not hesitate to contact me at once if you're interested by replying the mail.

Yours Faithfully,
Frankie Tan L. Seang (Esq).c

So they will train you as a medical examiner.

Thats med school, then a year as intern, 2 years general pathology, then 3 years specialising in forensic pathology. But I'm sure they'll do it faster.

At last the UN have recognised my tireless work for.....um......myself?

United Nations Assisted Program
Directorate of International Payment
United Nations Liaison Office - Africa

This email is to notify you about the release of your outstanding payment which is truly $4.7 million. The Federal Government scheduled a time frame to settle all foreign debts which includes Contract/Inheritance/Gambling/Lottery (Sponsored by Microsoft and UK National Lottery) and other international loans. News had it that over the past, numerous individual(s) who happen to be impostors (claiming to be individuals, banks and organizations) are claiming to release numerous sums of fund via numerous ways.

You have two options to receive your payment which is either a Pin Based ATM card or Certified Cashiers Check.

You are advised to select one out of the two options on how you wish to receive your $4.7 million. Your ATM card or Check/Bank Draft will be shipped via FedEx Shipping Company and would get to you within 2 to 3 working days at most.

DO NOT SEND MONEY TO ANYONE UNTIL YOU READ THIS: The actual fees for shipping your ATM card is $96.99 but because Fedex have temporarily discontinued the C.O.D which gives you the chance to pay when package is delivered for international shipping as stated on their website: http://fedex.com/us/international/irc/p ... mcc=us#C10 We had to sign contract with them for bulk shipping which makes the fees reduce from the actual $96.99 to $73.95 nothing more and no hidden fees of any sort!

You are advised to contact the dispatch officer responsible for the shipping of your Check or ATM card with the following information for shipping of your payment Check or ATM card.

Dispatch Officer: Michael Grizla
Tel: +234-702-638-5998 or 011-234-702-638-5998

And provide him with the following information:

Your full Name...
Your Address:................
Home/Cell Phone:...................
Preferred Payment Method (Check or ATM):................

The dispatch officer will provide you with instructions on how you are to make payment of the $73.95 only for the shipping of your ATM card or Cashiers Check.

Remember that you are not paying any fees extra no matter what. Once again note that the actual Fedex Retail Price: $96.99 Your Price (Because of our contract signed): $73.95 ($23.04 Savings!).

Yours sincerely,
Mr. Anthony Moore

Yeah sod all those poor people who need your protection and help! Gimme the cash!

Read an interesting one in the Times a couple of weeks ago, as related by one of those diary columnists. Some scamster, 'with an excellent address book', was posing as Boris Johnson's dad, saying 'I didn't tell you about my recent trip to Nigeria. Unfortunately, I forgot my wallet (or something) and desperately need you to wire me £2000, which I will pay back immediately'. This being sent to the rich and powerful, for example, the diary columnist in the Times.

H_James said:
Read an interesting one in the Times a couple of weeks ago, as related by one of those diary columnists. Some scamster, 'with an excellent address book', was posing as Boris Johnson's dad, saying 'I didn't tell you about my recent trip to Nigeria. Unfortunately, I forgot my wallet (or something) and desperately need you to wire me £2000, which I will pay back immediately'. This being sent to the rich and powerful, for example, the diary columnist in the Times.

Didn't the same thing happen to Jack Straw?

Nigeria in big scamster crackdown
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8322316.stm

Many of the fraudsters use internet cafes
Nigeria's anti-corruption agency says it has shut down some 800 fraudster e-mailers and arrested those behind 18 high-profile "cyber crime syndicates".

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission said it has been working with the computer giant Microsoft to crack down on the scammers.

EFCC head Farida Waziri said her agency was now using "smart technology" rather than raids on internet cafes.

Correspondents say Nigeria is seen as a centre for web scams and spam e-mails.

It will take Nigeria out of the top 10 list of countries with the highest incidence of fraudulent e-mails

EFCC head Farida Waziri
Cyber crime has remained a big challenge to Nigeria's security agencies despite efforts made in recent years to counter it.

The con tricks - known as "419 scams" after the penal code that outlaws them in Nigeria - are often run by well-organised gangs.

According to an EFCC statement, Ms Waziri said the new operation, called "eagle claw", would be fully operational within six months.

"It will take Nigeria out of the top 10 list of countries with the highest incidence of fraudulent e-mails," she said.

Another one from my work inbox. I think it just tickled me because of the subject line lol the word honest has no place in this email:

Subject: HONEST PERSON NEEDED

Hello,
I am Mrs. Deborah Clark from UK; I am soliciting your assistance for a swift
transfer of £12,000,000 GBP to help the less-privileged in your society. This
project will be of benefit to you as well. If you are interested in handling
this charitable project please send your reply to me at( [email protected])
for more information.

Maybe the scammers kidnapped him.

'Scam comic' kidnapped in Nigeria
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8353578.stm

The song I go chop your dollar satirises the greed of fraud victims
A prominent Nigerian comic actor who is famous for singing a song about e-mail scams has been kidnapped.

Nkem Owoh was last seen setting off on a highway in the east of the country, the head of the Nigerian actors' guild said.

Local media report that kidnappers have demanded a 15m naira ($98,300, £58,900) ransom for Mr Owoh.

He is the second actor to be kidnapped in the area. In August, Pete Edochie was seized and released a day later.

'Chop your dollar'

Mr Owoh is the star of at least 77 Nollywood films, with titles like Big Man... Big Trouble, and The Master - a film about e-mail fraud.

He also sang the song Oyinbo, I go chop your dollar, pidgin for "white man, I'm going to take your money", from The Master.

The song was banned from being played on the radio.

In the satirical film he plays an e-mail scammer who makes a living duping "greedy white people" with advance fee fraud e-mails.

He also starred in the Nollywood sales record-breaker Osuofia in London, a fish-out-of-water comedy about a man from rural Igboland trying to get by in London.

Now its fake conferences. Plenty of comments at the link. Plenty of people getting outraged that anyone would suggest Nigerians could be involved in email scams.

The Scientist: NewsBlog:
Another fake conference?
http://www.the-scientist.com/blog/print/56185/
Posted by Bob Grant
[Entry posted at 24th November 2009 03:49 PM GMT]
View comments(10) | Comment on this news story

Are phony academic conferences the new Nigerian princes of the internet?

An email inviting recipients to a conference on human welfare and the global economy, said to be taking place in January and February of next year and featuring talks by some of the top scientists in the field, is making the rounds.

Last week, I received an email from someone going by the name of Alyssa Logan, who claimed to be "Youth Leader" at a group called the Action World International Organization (AWIO) and a member of the International Committee of the Red Cross. In the message, Logan invited me to the "Seventh Annual International Global combine Conference on Global Economy and Human Welfare" that AWIO was hosting. The conference would take place over the course of ten days at two separate sites, the first in New York City and the second in Dakar, Senegal in Africa.

All I had to do was get in contact with the conference secretariat, one Grace Nathan, and I could be on my way to the meetings. And -- get this -- I would even get my airfare and accommodation paid for!

There's only one problem. When I contacted the AXA Equitable Auditorium, the 400-seat venue where the New York City portion of the conference was to be held from January 25th to the 29th of next year, they had never heard of AWIO, or the conference they were supposedly planning. "No such event is scheduled for that location," said Chris Winans, senior vice president of external affairs for the AXA/Equitable Production Group.

Further confirmation that the conference was a sham came from the International Committee for the Red Cross, which told me that they had no record of an Alyssa Logan belonging to their organization.

An email to Nathan went unanswered, but when I replied directly to Logan at an "ireland.com" email address, she wrote back from a different email the next day. "Thanks, you mail was received and am happy for your acceptance to the invitation and also for your interest in today Economy," the email read. "I will be forwarding your mail to the conference secretariat in other for them to assist you with more information regarding registration purpose. You will receive a response from the organization secretary soon." Logan closed by writing "See you in December!"

December? I have yet to receive a response from the conference secretariat.

After some searching, I managed to find a website for AWIO, and discovered that they have posted an agenda for the meeting. Several prominent doctors and researchers who work in the public health field are listed as speakers on the agenda, so I decided to contact them and ask about their involvement in the conference.

"I've never heard from them," said Kevin Schulman, director of the Center for Clinical and Genetic Economics at Duke University, who was scheduled to give the opening speech on February 1 in Senegal. Schulman said that being listed as a speaker without his knowledge at a conference that isn't likely to even take place was a first for him. He also told The Scientist that the scammers had apparently done at least a little research in planning their ruse, because the list of speakers did represent key figures in the field. "If you had a health policy [meeting]," he said, "these are names that you would see."

Experts listed on the agenda included Robert Berenson, a physician who studies Medicare policy at the Washington, DC-based think tank the Urban Institute (the agenda misspells Berenson's surname "Branson"); and Glenn Steele, president of the Geisinger Health System, a physician-led healthcare provider based in Pennsylvania (the agenda comically misspells Geisinger as "Gunslinger").

The roll call of speakers seems to have been copied directly from the agenda of an actual meeting that occurred earlier this year. Schulman, Berenson, and Steele all spoke in February at the 2009 National Health Policy Conference (NHPC), hosted by health services research center Academy Health and held in Washington, DC. Many of the other NHPC participants are listed in the fraudulent agenda for the AWIO meeting. (Even Senator Ted Kennedy, who died in August, is listed as a speaker at the upcoming conference.)

I can only assume that the scam involves getting hapless recipients to take the free airfare and accommodation bait, sending personal or financial information to the "conference secretariat."

The fact that the perpetrators of this con took the time to at least partially familiarize themselves with big names in any particular field of research signals increasing sophistication among SPAMmers. This makes two seemingly phony conferences that The Scientist has uncovered this year. Beware the lure of expert-packed meetings in far-off places. If the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I've had that one in my inbox at work before now. Obviously dodgy as hell, but i couldn't see precisely where the sting is either.

Here's a really bizarre trend: I got one of these printed out as a letter. Not sure how the economics work out when you have to pay postage??

Here's a really bizarre trend: I got one of these printed out as a letter. Not sure how the economics work out when you have to pay postage??

Back