• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Collections Of Fortean-Themed Artworks

The story behind Thomas Merrylin is fun.

A bizarre quality of Merrylin was his apparent permanent youthfulness. Even in his 80′s, he still resembled a 40 year old, albeit of odd complexion, and his few bizarre forays into the eyes of the media only furthered his infamy. He was accused of practicing dark arts to prolong his life. Yet, eminent scholars secretly allied themselves with him, encouraging him to share his collection with the world. In 1899, he took a small portion of his specimens on tour across America. Conservative attitudes of the time condemned these creatures, calling them blasphemous. His reaction was severe and the tour was canceled before it reached California.

He fell into obscurity, until 1942.

The Tunbridge Orphanage for boys was contacted by a man purporting to be Thomas Theodore Merrylin, in the spring of that year. He wished to donate a sizeable London town house to the Orphanage for use once the war was over, and children returned. The only proviso was that the basement of the house never be opened and the house never sold. The Orphanage stood by this promise, until absolved in the 60′s and the existence of the cellar forgotten. Sealed behind two brick walls, the door was only found by chance when the foundations were checked prior to demolition. The Thomas Merrylin pictured in a local newspaper, handing over the documents for ownership to the new proprietor was in his forties. By this time, Merrylin would have been over 160 years old. The name sparked interest from those who had followed Merrylin's work, most assuming him long dead. But the man claiming to be Thomas promptly disappeared. Leaving no evidence of his existence. The Merrylin estate was also sold off and money given to charity.

And the entire collection can be viewed online now....along with the full story.

SPECIMENS

Completely agree Swifty this is an elaborate Fortean art exhibition...shame it's not public.

Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 09.51.49.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 09.52.04.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 09.52.29.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 09.52.29.png
    185.2 KB · Views: 14
glorious stuff!

These are impressive, but they will confuse some, who will simply accept them as as being real, rather than understanding they are effectively 1:1 scale suprarealistic artworks, facsimile relics from a parallel unreality.

I'm reminded, indirectly, of papercraft skulls...
Skull%2Bnet.jpg

darling, speak to me of papercraft skulls.........! :glee:

Well, I've tried papercraft, way back. And it was weirdly relaxing. Not now, because all I do is work, constantly.

Never made a paper skull, myself, yet....but it's got to be worth the risk of a few papercuts.....

I'm not sure if this is the right section, so move it if it's not.

http://www.boredpanda.com/skulls-skeletons-thomas-theodore-merrylin-home-london/
Just come across the Merrylinmuseum.com site via reading Youtube comments, it was the first coldish, wet afternoon we've had for months here up north and I can heartily recommend this site (apart from the odd spelling/grammar issue), it held my attention for hours ! Its very professionally done, the author I think is one 'Alex CF', but there is a short video clip on the Merrylin site attributed to Simon Lewis who also has some other video stuff online (seems to like slow-motion), see vimeo.com for a remarkable 'Worlds Biggest Jumping Spider In Slow Motion' film. Bravo !

The Merrylin Museum put me in mind of the notion of "Pickled Punks", a "lovely" carny term for deformed fetuses in formaldehyde, though I have certainly known a few more-or-less alive individuals who might also accept such an nominative definition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_punks
Pickled Punks.jpg

Saw this on Artsy, ufo art:
https://www.artsy.net/artwork/r-and-f-mo-ufo-passing-1
R&F Mo
UFO Passing, 2021
Woodcut with gouache and watercolour

Screenshot_20230324-194538_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230324-194935_Chrome.jpg

This framed painting on cardboard, exhibited in our ‘Escape Routes’ group show, features three curious characters in the foreground. The hovering UFO in the distance is a recurring motif in Mo’s work which symbolises - in Mo’s words - ‘a journey into the unconscious’.

Saw this on Artsy, ufo art:
https://www.artsy.net/artwork/r-and-f-mo-ufo-passing-1
R&F Mo
UFO Passing, 2021
Woodcut with gouache and watercolour

View attachment 64634View attachment 64635

This framed painting on cardboard, exhibited in our ‘Escape Routes’ group show, features three curious characters in the foreground. The hovering UFO in the distance is a recurring motif in Mo’s work which symbolises - in Mo’s words - ‘a journey into the unconscious’.
And more by other artists:

Mason Storm (Banksy?)
UFO. No, you F O, 2021
Screenshot_20230324-200315_Chrome.jpg
https://www.artsy.net/artwork/mason-storm-ufo-no-you-f-o-3

Back