• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Entity

Mooka

Devoted Cultist
In the shadow of the ash trees, Derbyshire
The following happened a number of years ago to a friend of my ex, I’ve changed his name to Jon. It’s something I’ve spoken about before in the days of using newsgroups - on a true hauntings group if I remember correctly - and have also had it read out on a paranormal podcast.

A bit of background: Jon was a down-to-earth, level-headed person, he used to be a paratrooper and enjoyed spending his spare time doing things like boxing and weight-lifting, definitely not a person prone to histrionics or of a nervous disposition. On the night of the incident Jon hadn't been drinking, he didn’t do drugs and wasn't on medication, so hallucination would be pretty low down on the list of natural explanations. I met this friend a lot of times and he was always the serious sort, definitely not one for practical jokes or making things up. My ex said when Jon told him about what had happened he seemed genuinely embarrassed and seriously worried about the whole thing.

Anyway, back to the incident... Jon’s partner at the time had been through a very tough few months with deaths in her family. She felt lost and thought she would try and seek guidance at a local Spiritualist Church. Being a total skeptic, Jon dismissed all the spiritualist talk and couldn't understand why his girlfriend believed what he thought was absolute nonsense. She, in the meantime, found the meetings and her new-found spiritualist friends comforting. One night after the girlfriend had been to her fourth or fifth meeting earlier in the evening, she and Jon went to bed as usual. This night would be one he’d never forget.

In the middle of the night Jon was awoken by something moving about on the bottom of the bed, particularly startling since they didn't have children or pets. He grabbed the torch on his bedside cabinet and shone it into the dark, and was utterly shocked with what he saw. He said there stood staring at him was what he could only describe as a foot-high, ugly, court jester-like thing. He couldn't believe what he was seeing and was scared beyond belief. The thing looked so horrible and menacing. He tried to wake his girlfriend but she was out for the count. Then the bizarre looking creature just vanished. It spooked him so much he ran into the bathroom and locked himself in - he said he’d never been so frightened in all his life. He stayed in the bathroom all night, too scared to come back out, eventually falling asleep huddled in a corner of the room. The next morning he told his girlfriend what had happened during the night. When she in turn told her new spiritualist friends about the incident they said she must have taken an evil spirit home with her after the meeting.

I did wonder if it could have been sleep paralysis behind the episode, but Jon only saw the entity after sitting up and shining his torch. The obvious explanation would be that in his sleepy state he imagined it, but he was convinced he hadn’t and it was very real. I often wonder if he ever had any more experiences, but I split with his friend soon after this so never found out.

Haha yes, although that would be scary enough, he always gave me the creeps!

I pictured the troll from the 80s movie Cat’s Eye. That’s a sinister creature with a court jester-like outfit on!

7A8DA289-249A-4B25-9058-67AE5995861D.jpeg

I was thinking about this last night in bed at 2am, as you do, thinking what would I do if an evil jester entity appeared at the end of my bed, but oddly not managing to spook myself too much, but then I recalled something that an old friend recounted to me years ago, something that happened to her when she was a little girl. At Easter she had got up early, before anyone else in her family, to hunt for Easter eggs, which her parents were in the habit of hiding around the house for her to find. She said she saw an evil black rabbit-thing perched on top of a sewing machine, radiating malevolence (I've posted this somewhere else on the boards). She ran back upstairs to tell her parents that the Easter Bunny was downstairs, but it was not nice; they, of course, thought she was dreaming. I've lost contact with this friend now, but she always insisted it wasn't a dream and she really saw it. It makes me think that something was mocking her Easter-related excitement. It makes me wonder if the entity in the account above took on its jester-type appearance as a form of mockery, and if it had pulled that imagery from the mind of the witness, or someone else. We'll never know of course, but those are the kind of things I ponder at 2am...

Edit: I originally posted here, nearly 20 years ago, but said it was sat on a chair, not a sewing machine. I imagine the chair is more accurate, don't know where I got the sewing machine from...

Last edited:
I’m the same, mulling over such things in the night, that’s insomnia for you!

That sounds horrible and puts me in mind of the evil rabbit from The Twilight Zone I think it was, only that was a giant sinister rabbit. Strangely enough I had a dream about rabbits last night, that somebody kept passing me different ones to hold and I was convinced they were going to bite me.

I’m the same, mulling over such things in the night, that’s insomnia for you!

That sounds horrible and puts me in mind of the evil rabbit from The Twilight Zone I think it was, only that was a giant sinister rabbit.
I thought of Donnie Darko.

@SimonBurchell, if you read your posts, I think you’ll see your answer:
. She said she saw an evil black rabbit-thing perched on top of a sewing machine, radiating malevolence

Edit: I originally posted here, nearly 20 years ago, but said it was sat on a chair, not a sewing machine. I imagine the chair is more accurate, don't know where I got the sewing machine from...
From Rumplestiltskin, he was pretty nifty with a spinning wheel. Also plenty of folktales where the devil is sewing.
:)

The following happened a number of years ago to a friend of my ex, I’ve changed his name to Jon. It’s something I’ve spoken about before in the days of using newsgroups - on a true hauntings group if I remember correctly - and have also had it read out on a paranormal podcast.

A bit of background: Jon was a down-to-earth, level-headed person, he used to be a paratrooper and enjoyed spending his spare time doing things like boxing and weight-lifting, definitely not a person prone to histrionics or of a nervous disposition. On the night of the incident Jon hadn't been drinking, he didn’t do drugs and wasn't on medication, so hallucination would be pretty low down on the list of natural explanations. I met this friend a lot of times and he was always the serious sort, definitely not one for practical jokes or making things up. My ex said when Jon told him about what had happened he seemed genuinely embarrassed and seriously worried about the whole thing.

Anyway, back to the incident... Jon’s partner at the time had been through a very tough few months with deaths in her family. She felt lost and thought she would try and seek guidance at a local Spiritualist Church. Being a total skeptic, Jon dismissed all the spiritualist talk and couldn't understand why his girlfriend believed what he thought was absolute nonsense. She, in the meantime, found the meetings and her new-found spiritualist friends comforting. One night after the girlfriend had been to her fourth or fifth meeting earlier in the evening, she and Jon went to bed as usual. This night would be one he’d never forget.

In the middle of the night Jon was awoken by something moving about on the bottom of the bed, particularly startling since they didn't have children or pets. He grabbed the torch on his bedside cabinet and shone it into the dark, and was utterly shocked with what he saw. He said there stood staring at him was what he could only describe as a foot-high, ugly, court jester-like thing. He couldn't believe what he was seeing and was scared beyond belief. The thing looked so horrible and menacing. He tried to wake his girlfriend but she was out for the count. Then the bizarre looking creature just vanished. It spooked him so much he ran into the bathroom and locked himself in - he said he’d never been so frightened in all his life. He stayed in the bathroom all night, too scared to come back out, eventually falling asleep huddled in a corner of the room. The next morning he told his girlfriend what had happened during the night. When she in turn told her new spiritualist friends about the incident they said she must have taken an evil spirit home with her after the meeting.

I did wonder if it could have been sleep paralysis behind the episode, but Jon only saw the entity after sitting up and shining his torch. The obvious explanation would be that in his sleepy state he imagined it, but he was convinced he hadn’t and it was very real. I often wonder if he ever had any more experiences, but I split with his friend soon after this so never found out.
Interesting response from Jon. First thing I would have done was lob the nearest appliance at the thing to see if it sh*t itself with a "hang around if you want more of that" at the same time. I've not been scared by my various experiences but probably because they didn't involve an air of malevolence, rather the opposite.

It sounds truly terrifying. But I do wonder if Jon had ever suffered from 'night terrors' as a child....

Without wanting to sound like a disbeliever, I do tend to ascribe a kind of 'half awake, half asleep' state to appearances like this, simply because the sleeping brain is so complex - which is why I ask about the night terrors.

...Jon’s partner at the time had been through a very tough few months with deaths in her family. She felt lost and thought she would try and seek guidance at a local Spiritualist Church. Being a total skeptic, Jon dismissed all the spiritualist talk and couldn't understand why his girlfriend believed what he thought was absolute nonsense. She, in the meantime, found the meetings and her new-found spiritualist friends comforting. One night after the girlfriend had been to her fourth or fifth meeting earlier in the evening, she and Jon went to bed as usual. This night would be one he’d never forget...

The non-sceptic side of my brain is reminded of something I was told by a Buddhist friend of mine. Both she and her partner are of that faith - in fact the latter had once served as a monk (or whatever Buddhists call them) in Mexico.

She told me that there is a particular time in the individual's religious journey where that individual becomes very vulnerable to spiritual attack - in her case, at least one expression of this had been, she alleged, an oversized hairy hand that had crawled up her bed one night.

My assumption has always been that this 'attack' would be focused on the individual themselves, but - given Jon's partner's new interest in things spiritual, I wonder if they spill over into those around the target.

The sceptic side of me wonders the same as catseye - night terrors.

Interesting response from Jon. First thing I would have done was lob the nearest appliance at the thing to see if it sh*t itself with a "hang around if you want more of that" at the same time. I've not been scared by my various experiences but probably because they didn't involve an air of malevolence, rather the opposite.
I think I would’ve done anything in my power to wake my partner! It was probably because it was so bizarre and evil looking, he might have reacted differently had it been say a spirit in human-form.
It sounds truly terrifying. But I do wonder if Jon had ever suffered from 'night terrors' as a child....

Without wanting to sound like a disbeliever, I do tend to ascribe a kind of 'half awake, half asleep' state to appearances like this, simply because the sleeping brain is so complex - which is why I ask about the night terrors.
Yes my immediate thoughts were to do with the sleeping brain state.

I wish I could’ve spoken to him myself about the incident but it wasn’t something he felt comfortable talking about. I think my ex was the only person - apart from his girlfriend of course - he told about it. I know my ex totally believed what his friend had told him and said it had really shaken him to the core.

I think I would’ve done anything in my power to wake my partner! It was probably because it was so bizarre and evil looking, he might have reacted differently had it been say a spirit in human-form.

Yes my immediate thoughts were to do with the sleeping brain state.

I wish I could’ve spoken to him myself about the incident but it wasn’t something he felt comfortable talking about. I think my ex was the only person - apart from his girlfriend of course - he told about it. I know my ex totally believed what his friend had told him and said it had really shaken him to the core.
Absolutely. Nightmares, night terrors, sleep paralysis, all can produce an effect that can terrify the sufferer. I had a nightmare over fifty years ago that has stayed with me ever since...

Absolutely. Nightmares, night terrors, sleep paralysis, all can produce an effect that can terrify the sufferer. I had a nightmare over fifty years ago that has stayed with me ever since...
I’ve had some really awful nightmares that have stayed with me too. I‘m just grateful I’ve never experienced sleep paralysis as that sounds terrifying on a different level!

I’ve had some really awful nightmares that have stayed with me too. I‘m just grateful I’ve never experienced sleep paralysis as that sounds terrifying on a different level!
Strange isn't it that of the thousands of dreams one has over decades, some seem to be remembered years later.

So Jon is an ex-para and weightlifter yet he was scared into the loo by one of the background goblins from Labyrinth? Not very tough if you ask me.

He also left his poor ladyfriend at its mercy, that's dumping material.

Sounds like he was visited by Mr Punch!
I was once told of a Mr Punch-type manifestation in the old Medieval kitchens at Dartington Hall, South Devon.. This happened in the early-90s to a group of art college lecturers who were drinking after-hours when everywhere else was locked up for the night (so post-11pm, there were a lot of lock-ins back then, the old kitchens then being used as a dining room and bar overspill). There is an old wooden staircase that goes up to a doorway that is no longer in use following renovations in the 1930s. As they drank and chatted, suddenly one became aware of a menacing figure stood on the small landing at the top of this staircase (by the closed-off door). This adult male figure wore a dark robe with what they described as a "Mr Punch hooked nose and hideous, malevolent face". The others now became aware of this manifestation and, I am told, were so terrified one actually began praying out loud and this caused 'it' to vanish.

I didn't meet any of the witnesses but i was told this by a member of the bar staff who had known them.

So Jon is an ex-para and weightlifter yet he was scared into the loo by one of the background goblins from Labyrinth? Not very tough if you ask me.

To be fair hard cases seem to have their achilees heel, like everyone. My mate's dad was an army medic and he said that some of even battle hardened troops would faint if they had to have an injection.

To be fair to Jon, if a bed companion woke me up yelling that they could see a little man at the end of the bed, I would NOT be happy either.

Mind you, if you're waking me up, it had better be to tell me that you've won the Lottery, because anything less and I will be very cross...

To be fair to Jon, if a bed companion woke me up yelling that they could see a little man at the end of the bed, I would NOT be happy either.

Mind you, if you're waking me up, it had better be to tell me that you've won the Lottery, because anything less and I will be very cross...

I'm not saying he should have woken her, he should have gone and stamped on it.

Hearing what had happened for the first time my immediate thought was why did he ‘abandon‘ his girlfriend. I think it just shows how fear overwhelmed him so much he acted out of character as he was certainly no coward. It’s like he almost acted in a child-like way, retreating to the ‘safety‘ of the bathroom and huddling in the corner. Maybe he was questioning his own sanity at the point too?! As I said earlier, I wish I could’ve talked to him myself about what happened as there are lots of things I would’ve asked him.

Hearing what had happened for the first time my immediate thought was why did he ‘abandon‘ his girlfriend. I think it just shows how fear overwhelmed him so much he acted out of character as he was certainly no coward. It’s like he almost acted in a child-like way, retreating to the ‘safety‘ of the bathroom and huddling in the corner. Maybe he was questioning his own sanity at the point too?! As I said earlier, I wish I could’ve talked to him myself about what happened as there are lots of things I would’ve asked him.

I think the nature of the "supernatural" whatever it is exactly, can be pure terror in and of itself, regardless of what is seen or whether anything is seen at all.

I was once told of a Mr Punch-type manifestation in the old Medieval kitchens at Dartington Hall, South Devon.. This happened in the early-90s to a group of art college lecturers who were drinking after-hours when everywhere else was locked up for the night (so post-11pm, there were a lot of lock-ins back then, the old kitchens then being used as a dining room and bar overspill). There is an old wooden staircase that goes up to a doorway that is no longer in use following renovations in the 1930s. As they drank and chatted, suddenly one became aware of a menacing figure stood on the small landing at the top of this staircase (by the closed-off door). This adult male figure wore a dark robe with what they described as a "Mr Punch hooked nose and hideous, malevolent face". The others now became aware of this manifestation and, I am told, were so terrified one actually began praying out loud and this caused 'it' to vanish.

I didn't meet any of the witnesses but i was told this by a member of the bar staff who had known them.
Very creepy! I shall have to look up Darlington Hall.

You wouldn't be asleep at all if I was there young lady.

Back