• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Hairless Animals in USA

A

Anonymous

Within the space of about 2 days I have come across 3 different reports of hairless, raccoon-like animals in North America - is this fortean in itself? The first report is the most detailed, claiming that the animals were raccoons which lost their hair possibly due to poisoning, and one animal regrew its hair. The others are just eyewitness reports from different cryptozoology sites.

http://home.fuse.net/rschaffner/hairless.htm

http://www.eclipse.co.uk/cfz/wwwboard/messages/34.htm

http://www.cryptozoology.com/sightings/sightings_show.php?id=4

The last 2 reports also say the animals appeared "earless". I dont know if all these reports are of the same animal as there are significant differences so 3 different creatures could easily be to blame, but there seems to be definite similarities.

I suggested the Mexican(?) hairless breed of dog for the second sighting although this doesnt really fit due to that breed of dog's large and easily visible ears. Any other theories? Is the "metal poisoning" theory for hair loss plausible?

Not to mention that you can buy large hairless rats at almost any pet store in the US now. Doesn't sound anything like this, though.

Another one, from Cryptodominion:

Wisonsin hairless creature (Hillsboro, Wisconsin NA): A hairless creature, about 2 feet long with a 9 inch tail, was seen attacking a dog in a farmer's field. It was hit with a pipe by the farmer, and ran off. It may have been some new species, but similar creatures living in Kentucky turned out to be raccoons without hair, so perhaps this was just a freak raccoon who for some reason was hairless.

(note Cryptodominion is imho quite a dodgy site, but read and judge for yourselves... their theories on hominoid cryptids in particular seem to be based on very dodgy genetics not to mention definite hints of the kind of pseudoscientific racism i talked about in my ape-human hybrid thread, and the site in general seems to suffer from a bad case of "all cryptids are real and they are all separate species")

Adult raccoons will fight dogs if given no choice and will drown them, if in water. If other similar animals have turned out to be coons, I'd say these new ones probably are, too.

Mange can make animals loose their hair and can attack external ears too . I have seen semi hairless foxes with mange .

I saw a dog with mange once, it was awful and I felt sorry for the thing, it belonged to a friend's nieghbor and I heard it had died soon after I visited my friend and saw the thing.

It looked so sad.

Toxic waste management can be a bit on the primitive side, Stateside, so I've heard.

It's not only canids that get the mange. Wombats can also contract it. I would guess that 'coons could too. But it seldom removes all hair. Often the poor sick critter just looks striped. (Hence many reports of live mainland thylacines - just mangy foxes or feral dogs seen in bad light.)

Back