• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Humanoids

A

Anonymous

For a long time now, I've been really interested in reports of strange "half-human, half-(insert animal name here)" creatures. Like Mothman, the Owlman and others.

I was just wondering, what is the weirdest humanoid "thing" that other people have heard of?

I would be really interested to hear some of them.

There are quite a few alleged sightings of such creatures. Here's a few from the USA -

1903 - miners on night shift saw creature with 'horns and long hair, great big eyes and an inhuman look, although standing erect like a man' (Iola, Kansas, USA)
1958 - motorist was attacked by humanoid with a round head, no ears, protruding mouth, shiny eyes, very long claws, and had scaly skin 'like leaves' (nr. Riverside, California, USA)
1972 - 7-9 foot tall, hairy, 'werewolf' creature seen, which ran 'from side to side' and hit one witness with a large stick it was carrying (Defiance, Ohio, USA); policemen saw giant humanoid frog or lizard, which was later christened the 'Loveland Frog' (Little Miami River, nr. Loveland, Ohio, USA); pink-eyed, 3-legged, grey hairy monster seen (nr. Enfield, Illinois, USA)
1973 - humanoid with grey face and red glowing eyes seen, which leapt 50-60 feet (Sidney, North Carolina, USA)
1982 - sighting of 6-foot humanoid with long hair, glowing yellow eyes, being goat-like from the waist down (nr. Utica, Nebraska, USA)
1988 - 7 foot tall, two-legged, scaly green creature seen near swamp (Bishopsvile, South Carolina, USA)

There's also one alleged sighting of a 'centaur' from somewhere in the USA, but I can't track that particular one down right now.

[EDIT - found it]
1963 - 'Centaur' seen (Centerville, Illinois, USA)

I remember reading ages ago about a sort of Bigfoot creature, it was tall, hairy and had hooks for hands and glowing red eyes. The witnesses said it looked as if it was made of cardboard, i.e., two dimensional. It didn't have any feet, either, it just faded away below the knee. I think it was an American sighting.

Naturally, I'll be darned if I can recall where I read this. Does it ring any bells with anyone?

Hmm...don't recall that particular one, off the top of my head. Sounds almost like an amalgam of several other reported entities...

Loveland Frog

Speaking of the Loveland Frog, the police officers involved in the sighting never reported a humanoid amphibian. They reported a small lizard.

Re: Loveland Frog

UsernameHere said:
Speaking of the Loveland Frog, the police officers involved in the sighting never reported a humanoid amphibian. They reported a small lizard.

Oh! I did not know that. Where did you find out?

UsernameHere said:

Well, not exactly - they reported seeing a creature 3-5 foot long with a frog or lizard's face, which leapt over a guardrail at the roadside.

Today's 'On This Day' (on the main page of this site) gives the most commonly ascribed details about the 'Loveland Frog'.

I remember a 'half man - half kangaroo' attack being reported on from Freemantle in WA.

Originally posted by JerryB
There are quite a few alleged sightings of such creatures. Here's a few from the USA -

1903 - miners on night shift saw creature with 'horns and long hair, great big eyes and an inhuman look, although standing erect like a man' (Iola, Kansas, USA)

Very cool JerryB. I'd never heard of that one.

I was in the tiny town of Colony, which is just a stones throw from Iola with friends in '94 to see the annular solar eclipse. Which was stunning. (I need a really good reason to go to southeast Kansas :D ) But, and you-all know I rarely use language like this, Sweet Jesus, seeing one of those would definitely have made the trip even more memorable, I daresay. ;)

Sadly I can't seem to find any primary source material on the web. Everybody just seems to be copying earlier writers. Might require a trip to the University library. How quaint. :) Maybe if i go down there and wait, he/it will come back. Or not.

sunsplash said:
I remember a 'half man - half kangaroo' attack being reported on from Freemantle in WA.

You have to be kidding on that one.
Which half would have been kangaroo?

Out of interest about what year would that have been reported?

Here's another odd one:

1966 - Two witnesses in car saw huge figure in road ahead. The creature resembled a huge horse with a man's face with large bulging eyes. Both witnesses were paralyzed with fear and could not move. The being had a huge hairy man like face and was standing across the road completely blocking the car's path. The creature stood there for a few moments, then left (nr. Drogheda, County Louth, Ireland)

Lopaka - there's a UFO/occupant sighting at Iola from January 1967, part of several UFO events from the area at that time.

I'm not sure now, but was'nt there a similar case near King's Lynn in Norfolk, England?

Which report above are you referring to MP?

Sorry, did'nt make myself clear. I was referring to the horse with the man's head.

UsernameHere said:

In an e-mail interview with retired officer Mark Mathews, the second police officer that saw the bizarre creature in March 1972, he states, "There is absolutely nothing to the incident that relates to 'monsters' or the 'paranormal'. This entire thing has been habitually blown out of proportion...".

Mr. Mathews continues with his first-hand account of what he saw:

"It was and is no 'monster'. It was not leathery or [had] wet matted fur. It was not 3-5 feet tall. It did not stand erect. The animal I saw was obviously some type of lizard that someone had as a pet that either got too large for its aquarium, escaped by accident or they simply got tired of it. It was less than 3 feet in length, ran across the road and was probably blinded by my headlights. It presented no aggressive action."

Mr. Mathews pointed out more discrepancies in this famous story. He shot at the creature, as no one had believed his partner's sighting a few nights before. Despite being hit, the lizard still escaped and Mathews suspected it either died of the wound or eventually died from the cold weather. The dramatic, commonly described scene of the lizard standing erect and stepping over the guardrail while keeping it's watchful eyes on Officer Mathews in fact, never happened.

Mr. Mathews may have explained away the mystery of his strange sighting 29 years ago, but what about the other numerous reports of a strange reptilian creature in the Loveland, Ohio area such as the 25 May 1955, sighting reported by an Ohio man who was driving along the Miami River in Loveland, Ohio? He claimed to have seen three strange bipedal creatures with frog-like features and wrinkles on their heads instead of hair. According to his report, one of the creatures held a device that gave off sparks.

Mrs. Darwin Johnson had a terrifying encounter of her own while swimming in the Ohio River in Evansville, Indiana on 21 August 1955. Something with a claw-like hand under the water grabbed her knee. She struggled in vain as the thing dragged her underwater twice. She eventually fought off the unseen attacker with a friend's inner tub. The only evidence of Mrs. Johnson's ordeal were some scratches and a green palm print on her knee.

Loveland Frogs

I wonder how many sightings could have been people seeing a bunch of geeks on the way to a sci-fi convention.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back