• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

There is a belief that paranormal energy is linked to water, especially in a running or moving state.
Even in hospital toilets. ;)
One of the tenants in that haunted building had a psychic come to visit - the psychic immediately picked up on the river being across the street, she told us that 'witches' often will live only near water, and that water attracts all kinds of havoc.
Also she said that there had been many tragedies in the area. Turned out (and we had no knowledge of this at the time) that there was a neighborhood pub on the next corner which had been owned by a husband and wife back in the 1940's and 1950's, they lived upstairs in the same building. One day the husband was bartending and his wife came into the bar from upstairs, walking in a catatonic state, unseeing and not speaking. He was asking his wife what was wrong, she walked out the front door without answering.
By the time the husband got outside and found her, she had walked into the river and drowned herself.
Another married couple bought the building and business which became yet another tragedy. The husband became a major alcoholic who took up with a young woman, divorced his wife and somehow got the money from the sale of the business and building. Well of course he didn't live long and the young woman took off with all the money back to the old country. The wife died destitute and unhappy. The son and daughter also had tragic lives.
That building was demolished and is now a real estate business.
The psychic also told us not to live in the area, bad vibes. Years later after a hurricane and flood, I was astonished to see two houses there had foundations that completely gave way. And those two houses were right next door to that old haunted building I used to live in.

the psychic immediately picked up on the river being across the street, she told us that 'witches' often will live only near water, and that water attracts all kinds of havoc.

I grew up with the myth that witches couldn't cross running water. If both of these facts are true, there must be an awful lot of witches having to go the long way round to the shops.

the psychic immediately picked up on the river being across the street, she told us that 'witches' often will live only near water, and that water attracts all kinds of havoc.

I grew up with the myth that witches couldn't cross running water. If both of these facts are true, there must be an awful lot of witches having to go the long way round to the shops.
Like the aliens in Signs who decide to invade a planet that's 70% salt water because it's deadly to them

My cousin's home was an old water mill that had a tiny leat running right across in front of the main door. My sister always said that it was a good way of keeping the witches out.

It's been a long time since I saw Dracula A.D. 1972 but I think that was the first time I heard the claim that vampires couldn't cross running water - as a dagger-tooth hippy died in the shower.

My cousin's home was an old water mill that had a tiny leat running right across in front of the main door. My sister always said that it was a good way of keeping the witches out.
Or in, apparently.

Sorry, When your PC starts it's possible to enter what we call BIOS ( Basic Input/Output System ) this is where you can change your PC: power, start-up, and hardware settings). If you are not familiar with using BIOS I wouldn't try and change anything ( a wrong change could lead to serious hardware damage to your PC).
Um...you lost me at "sorry".....

There's this Twitter thread: Some cool stories of animal encounters:

What is the most profound connection you have ever had to a wild animal?

On the train from Ulaanbaatar to Irkutsk, just standing leaning on the corridor window ledge; white fox waiting by the tracks made eye contact as we approached and held it until we were out of sight.

We were hunting in a trophy zone once and everything was blanketed in snow and quiet, we drove up on this semi abandoned cabin/mining post. While walking around we found a lone doe. It remained very still and I got almost close enough to pet this wild beast. Surreal.

Once many years ago while hiking up the bank of some unnamed tributary in Wrangell St. Elias Park I came upon a lone wolf in the brush. For a brief minute we locked eyes and then he was gone. I've never forgotten how wild those eyes were and every so often they appear in my mind

Caught Miners Cat in hen house, let her go, made friends. For months I’d whistle at dusk, she’d come running out of the woods, jump up on pizza oven for eggs I’d feed her by hand. She brought her mate eventually so I’d feed them both. In the fall they moved on.

The most profound was a time of great distress for me. I went out to clear my head and a crow suddenly flew by me, I felt it drift by my head, and landed on my fence maybe about a foot from me. It stunned me. It jolted my spirit and gave me an inner strength I never had prior.

Etc.

I’ve been reading through these for a while now. I found this one interesting.

‘LadyFlumpalot

I've just remembered another one. I've told this before on another thread, still baffles me.

My dm was Danish. She passed away in 2018 from cancer. When she knew she was terminal she joked with my stepdad that she'd let him know somehow when she got to Valhalla.

Now, back a couple of years before that she'd gone back to Denmark to visit her parents. Not long after that visit both her parents passed away in quick succession.

After mum died my stepdads phone pinged with a text. Important to note here that my stepdad is a technophobe, he doesn't have a smart phone. He has an ancient Nokia flip phone that doesn't group texts into chats by person, rather as separate entities by order of date as phones used to.

The text he received was an old one that had somehow resent itself to the top of the list. It was from my mum and was from when she went to visit her parents. It said:

"Have arrived safely. Mor and Far have collected me and we are going to get some food and settle in. Love you lots"

Make of that what you will’

This one sounds familiar. Has it been in FT or on here?

‘Joni234
I was in my first term at university, new city and surroundings and I was also recently bereaved. I don't believe in ghosts and not at all wooo, I strongly feel that everything has a rational explanation so I try not to look closely at this memory because I can't explain it.
My seminars were in a tall tower building. One morning I decided to go to the top floor and look at the view. One side of the building overlooked a park, the other side a large old cemetery.
It was a gloomy, rainy day and I was alone looking out of the window. Down in the cemetery there was a funeral just arriving. I gazed on in a melancholy kind of way.
As I was watching a member of university staff came out of an office and said 'awful day for it' looking down to where I was staring at the mourners.
I sadly agreed and carried on watching. I stayed there for the entire thing and I remember watching the last few stragglers leave. I could see each person clearly- their handbags and their black umbrellas and so much detail.

Later, out of curiosity I decided to go into the cemetery to see who had been buried. When I arrived at the large ornate gate it was locked, with a large sturdy padlock that was rusted on. There was a sign from the council that the cemetery was closed indefinitely due to hazardous falling stone monuments and gravestones. Looking through the gate I could clearly see very old stones and tombs that were sinking into the ground or had peices fallen off.
I reasoned there must be special exceptions and started looking for another entrance. There was one more gate with the same rusty padlock and sign. Around the outside of the cemetery there was a very high wall, about 12ft high.
I was so disturbed by this that I kept returning to the gates, looking for a clue that they were sometimes opened. I walked the circumference of the cemetery several more times. I looked it up online, looked on council records couldn't find any mention of it.

A couple of years later after renovation the whole place was re-opened. I scoured the cemetery for new graves but all of the stones were hundreds of years old and they don't hold new burials there. It is a historic site with visitor centre and tour guides now.

I don't have any explanation for this, except a hallucination. But it felt 100% real in every way.’

‘Joni234
I was in my first term at university, new city and surroundings and I was also recently bereaved. I don't believe in ghosts and not at all wooo, I strongly feel that everything has a rational explanation so I try not to look closely at this memory because I can't explain it.
My seminars were in a tall tower building. One morning I decided to go to the top floor and look at the view. One side of the building overlooked a park, the other side a large old cemetery.
It was a gloomy, rainy day and I was alone looking out of the window. Down in the cemetery there was a funeral just arriving. I gazed on in a melancholy kind of way.
As I was watching a member of university staff came out of an office and said 'awful day for it' looking down to where I was staring at the mourners.
I sadly agreed and carried on watching. I stayed there for the entire thing and I remember watching the last few stragglers leave. I could see each person clearly- their handbags and their black umbrellas and so much detail.

Later, out of curiosity I decided to go into the cemetery to see who had been buried. When I arrived at the large ornate gate it was locked, with a large sturdy padlock that was rusted on. There was a sign from the council that the cemetery was closed indefinitely due to hazardous falling stone monuments and gravestones. Looking through the gate I could clearly see very old stones and tombs that were sinking into the ground or had peices fallen off.
I reasoned there must be special exceptions and started looking for another entrance. There was one more gate with the same rusty padlock and sign. Around the outside of the cemetery there was a very high wall, about 12ft high.
I was so disturbed by this that I kept returning to the gates, looking for a clue that they were sometimes opened. I walked the circumference of the cemetery several more times. I looked it up online, looked on council records couldn't find any mention of it.

A couple of years later after renovation the whole place was re-opened. I scoured the cemetery for new graves but all of the stones were hundreds of years old and they don't hold new burials there. It is a historic site with visitor centre and tour guides now.

I don't have any explanation for this, except a hallucination. But it felt 100% real in every way.’
Reminds me of the time a friend asked me to go to a local cemetery with her, she wanted to visit the grave of a friend of hers who had passed on several years earlier.
Well, when we got there she couldn't recall just where this friend had been buried, so we wandered around for quite some time looking at headstones.
I won't go to cemeteries because the departed have a habit of latching onto me. This particular time, because my friend was having a hard time finding her grave, I walked off in another direction to see if I could find it. I could hear quiet sobbing coming from one corner of the cemetery, behind an old building, but there was no one there. Looking at the graves I could see many small headstones, they were of children who had passed on in the early 1900's, around the same time. I figured it must have been some type of epidemic such as a flu.
But the grief was still there, almost one hundred years later. And that was the last time I have gone to a cemetery.

‘Joni234

My suggestion for this would be that there had been a scattering of ashes of someone recently deceased, on the family grave, which was probably quite old.

Edited to add: I don't give 'rusty padlocks' much credence, many of mine are rusty but as long as the mechanism is oiled they work just fine.

Does no one else remember a similar story? I swear there was someone over looking a funeral that turned out it couldn’t have happened. I’m thinking a IHTM from the FT. I’m not sure if it was identical. I’m sure there was something more convincing than rusty padlocks.

Does no one else remember a similar story? I swear there was someone over looking a funeral that turned out it couldn’t have happened. I’m thinking a IHTM from the FT. I’m not sure if it was identical. I’m sure there was something more convincing than rusty padlocks.
There was sighting of a Victorian-looking funeral that turned out be some beekeepers moving a hive. :chuckle:

Also, wasn't there a description of a phantom funeral seen from the window of a sumptuous but heavily haunted house in the BBC Uncanny series?
Episode 13.

They mainly shop online these days, that is the main reason you don't see witches around anymore.

There was sighting of a Victorian-looking funeral that turned out be some beekeepers moving a hive. :chuckle:

Also, wasn't there a description of a phantom funeral seen from the window of a sumptuous but heavily haunted house in the BBC Uncanny series?
Episode 13.
Oh that could be it. I hadn’t thought of Uncanny.

Oh that could be it. I hadn’t thought of Uncanny.
After another listen I can confirm that the eyewitness 'Grant' describes watching a funeral, or rather an actual burial, in the church graveyard from his young daughter's bedroom window.

Disconcerted, he walked round to the graveyard for a closer look and found nobody there and no trace of a funeral.

There were many other incidents. It's a cracking tale, though the stress of the haunting and its apparent cause sadly helped break up Grant's marriage.

Having enjoyed the episode and especially appreciating the precision of the locations mentioned I looked the place up at the time.
It's not hard to find.

Here's the area on Maps -
Tudor Close on Dean Court Road, Rottingdean

All the locations are easily seen, including the bench. :omg:

Here is an advert for the sale of the house in 2021. Have a look, it's stunning.
(safe local newspaper link)
Brighton house which inspired the Cluedo board game on the market

A former housing complex turned hotel to Hollywood stars, Tudor Close in Dean Court Road, Rottingdean, is listed for £1 million.

The unique four-bedroom property, formerly known as Tudor Close Hotel, was frequented by Cary Grant, Bette Davis, Errol Flynn and a young Julie Andrews.

After a 1937 refurbishment introduced a billiards room, ball room, ladies bar and restaurant, the Grade II listed property is reputed to have inspired Cluedo – with first editions of the board game called Murder at Tudor Close.
No mention of the ghost though. ;)

Finally, I offer a safe Higgypop page on the history of the complex in the context of the BBC Uncanny episode.
Full of spoilers so maybe better read after hearing the episode with its first-hand eyewitness accounts. 'Grant' really does describe it all beautifully.

The History Of Tudor Close The Haunted Former Hotel Featured In 'Uncanny'
Here's about the only non-spoiling quote I could find -

Although not as old as it appears at first glance, Tudor Close has a varied and interesting past

:chuckle:

After another listen I can confirm that the eyewitness 'Grant' describes watching a funeral, or rather an actual burial, in the church graveyard from his young daughter's bedroom window.

Disconcerted, he walked round to the graveyard for a closer look and found nobody there and no trace of a funeral.

There were many other incidents. It's a cracking tale, though the stress of the haunting and its apparent cause sadly helped break up Grant's marriage.

Having enjoyed the episode and especially appreciating the precision of the locations mentioned I looked the place up at the time.
It's not hard to find.

Here's the area on Maps -
Tudor Close on Dean Court Road, Rottingdean

All the locations are easily seen, including the bench. :omg:

Here is an advert for the sale of the house in 2021. Have a look, it's stunning.
(safe local newspaper link)
Brighton house which inspired the Cluedo board game on the market

No mention of the ghost though. ;)

Finally, I offer a safe Higgypop page on the history of the complex in the context of the BBC Uncanny episode.
Full of spoilers so maybe better read after hearing the episode with its first-hand eyewitness accounts. 'Grant' really does describe it all beautifully.

The History Of Tudor Close The Haunted Former Hotel Featured In 'Uncanny'
Here's about the only non-spoiling quote I could find -

:chuckle:
Thank you. I didn’t think I was going mad, well not this time.

I did wonder if it was really their experience or if they had ‘borrowed’ it. Interestingly Joni234’s story was written the day after that Uncanny episode :thought:

I did wonder if it was really their experience or if they had ‘borrowed’ it. Interestingly Joni234’s story was written the day after that Uncanny episode :thought:
Who is Joni234?

Back