• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

Might just work with roe, although traumatic for them.

Reds? Forget it: they’re solid muscle.

If they trap muntjac or Chinese water deer, they are legally prohibited from releasing them back into the wild (they’re invasive foreign species under s.14 Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981), so what are they to do with them?

maximus otter
Eat them? They'll go down very well with a glass of wine.

Deer are munching their way through most of our woodlands, causing a huge amount of damage to the understorey. The only reason they didn't do so in previous centuries is they were poached like mad, keeping the numbers in check. Eating deer would be a great way to protect biodiversity.

"Has Max found his glasses yet ?"

Oh deer.jpg

(FB last week, near Uffington White Horse)

"Has Max found his glasses yet ?"

View attachment 57636

(FB last week, near Uffington White Horse)
Saw a very similar scene a couple of weeks ago, only it was two deer in barley. Didn't know what I was looking at for a few moments - almost the Oz factor as my brain tried to make sense of something that looked like rabbit ears three feet above the ground and floating through the barley.... then they came to a gap and turned to look at me and dog and I could see it was deer.

All harvested round here now so it won't happen again until next year when I will have forgotten about it and can go through the whole 'that's weird...' thing again.

Isn’t it an abbreviation for daughter?
Yes. They put a D in front for 'Dear', then a D for daughter, S for son, H for husband and so on. Rather twee for a site that throws the C word around liberally!

Arguments now kicking off in that thread. ..

Things I’ve noticed that come up quite frequently.

Unexplained flashes of light (I think we’ve even had someone mention that here).
Sudden brief darkness.
The moon/sun moving or doing strange things.
Not being on the part of road you should be according to traveling time.

Interesting and quite worrying how much these come up.

Things I’ve noticed that come up quite frequently.

Unexplained flashes of light (I think we’ve even had someone mention that here).
Sudden brief darkness.
The moon/sun moving or doing strange things.
Not being on the part of road you should be according to traveling time.

Interesting and quite worrying how much these come up.
I think a huge number of these events are down to the good old 'brain fart' or one-off epileptic-type incidents when the brain misfires. If it's hever happened to you before (and an awful lot seem to be one offs or only happen so very sporadically that there's no noticeable pattern) then you would wonder what the hell just happened.

My migraines cause me to see sudden flashes of light and weird 'patches of darkness', but I know about them so they aren't mysterious. If I wasn't aware of them (I don't generally get pain these days), then I would assume I was being subjected to some paranormal influences. Sadly, I'm not, I just have a misfiring brain.

I think a huge number of these events are down to the good old 'brain fart' or one-off epileptic-type incidents when the brain misfires. If it's hever happened to you before (and an awful lot seem to be one offs or only happen so very sporadically that there's no noticeable pattern) then you would wonder what the hell just happened.

My migraines cause me to see sudden flashes of light and weird 'patches of darkness', but I know about them so they aren't mysterious. If I wasn't aware of them (I don't generally get pain these days), then I would assume I was being subjected to some paranormal influences. Sadly, I'm not, I just have a misfiring brain.
I could put these down to that but a lot are witnessed by more than one person.

I could put these down to that but a lot are witnessed by more than one person.
I guess all these things are a sign that someone somewhere is about to try turning us off and on again to see if that sorts the glitches out.

Last edited:
The internet being what it is, the witness in the above case now has an interview on YouTube:

There's a little more information, including a claim that a) it wasn't drones, and b) on further investigation, it seems the phenomenon is 'known' locally.

The cynic in me notes this would be a great way to get the interest of some Bigelow-type investor in a property which, the witness admits, has pretty much nothing on it...but that aside, the earthlight-like aspects of it make it an interesting account, if true.

The internet being what it is, the witness in the above case now has an interview on YouTube:

There's a little more information, including a claim that a) it wasn't drones, and b) on further investigation, it seems the phenomenon is 'known' locally.

The cynic in me notes this would be a great way to get the interest of some Bigelow-type investor in a property which, the witness admits, has pretty much nothing on it...but that aside, the earthlight-like aspects of it make it an interesting account, if true.
Interesting account. He comes across as genuine & his story quite coherent. If he's made it up he's a good actor..

Interesting account. He comes across as genuine & his story quite coherent. If he's made it up he's a good actor..

I agree - one key thing in his favour is that the details of the story as told in the interview, as posted earlier on Reddit, and in the short video he supposedly shot on the night in question, appear completely consistent. It's perhaps odd that no video was taken of the phenomenon itself, but the reasoning for why he didn't do so is plausible in context of the story.

It will be interesting to see if they present any verification from the game warden who claimed to have seen the same thing while working as a ranch hand many years back, or the other witness mentioned.

A review of an AI book on Goodreads (not me, not mine):

Heh, I opened this up to find the ISBN and found dried blood all over the pages, suggesting I read this during my cocaine-intensive period back in 1999-2000. That's fitting, since cocaine and the study of artificial intelligence seem to enjoy several similarities -- incredible expense as a barrier to entry, exciting short-term effects (see: euphoria, A* search) but letdowns upon prolonged use (see: addiction, combinatorial explosions), and they've both ruined plenty of fine careers in computer science. We used this book for CS4600, but I only got halfway though that semester and remember little of it (see: careers in computer science, aforementioned negative effects of cocaine on). I went back and read most of this in 2003, and found solid coverage of most everything useful I'm aware of from AI.

Interesting UFO story / experience hiding among all the drone videos and the like on Reddit:

Great find, thanks.

If you want to find a person on a mountainside at night then lights are surely not as efficient as FLIR thermal cameras, and of course lights give away your own portion whereas thermal cameras don't. Sounds more earthlight-y to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was quite an interesting thread on Mumsnet. It's about the phenomenon of the world going quiet during an accident or moment of extreme pain, etc. ...

This sort of perceived sudden silence is associated with a number of incidents. It's a common feature mentioned when one "enters the uncanny valley" (suddenly feels like everything is unreal). It's also a common feature of the time dilation ("everything going into slow motion") during moments of panic or recognition of impending doom. Mentions of such silence effects can be found in the various threads on these situations.

It is also the case that folks have reported zones or areas of silence in certain places or situations. We have a thread dedicated to this version of silence phenomena:

Bubbles / Cones / Zones / Instances Of Silence (IHTM)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/bubbles-cones-zones-instances-of-silence-ihtm.10704/

Last edited:
From Buzzfeed Australian Edition today:

13 Bone-Chilling Tales Of People Who've Encountered Cryptids And "Mythological" Creatures​

"So, we all turn and look...but one dorsal fin is immediately followed by another, and another, and another, and then two more, and then two more after that, in two separate rows, and they’re taller, by a LOT, and jagged, like some have whole chunks torn out of them, and they’re all 8-10 feet high. They’re all attached to ONE creature, and we can just barely see its back slicing through the water..."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/audreyworboys/spooky-stories-of-cryptid-animal-encounters

"So, we all turn and look...but one dorsal fin is immediately followed by another, and another, and another, and then two more, and then two more after that, in two separate rows, and they’re taller, by a LOT, and jagged, like some have whole chunks torn out of them, and they’re all 8-10 feet high. They’re all attached to ONE creature, and we can just barely see its back slicing through the water..."

Godzilla fanfic.

Back