• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

Of course most of these are apocryphal (but interesting in and of themselves, to see what children come up with), but a few seem to have a bit of truth around them...

These remind me a bit of stories I remember being told by primary school teachers of various children - in the past or at other schools in the area - who had been killed or unpleasantly injured by swallowing crayons, tipping their chair back, trespassing etc. Looking back I'm pretty sure they were entirely fabricated in order to stop you even considering doing it.

The above one has "get the kids to stop messing about under the stage" stamped all over it.

I wonder if trying to discourage children from doing something might have the opposite effect?
In grade 3 the teacher told us about how some children were sharpening their pencils by using their teeth and how disgusting it was.
I had never thought of doing that but wondered if it worked. You know what I got yelled at a short time later don't you?

I wonder if trying to discourage children from doing something might have the opposite effect?
In grade 3 the teacher told us about how some children were sharpening their pencils by using their teeth and how disgusting it was.
I had never thought of doing that but wondered if it worked. You know what I got yelled at a short time later don't you?
Can't take everything at face value.:chuckle:

Of course most of these are apocryphal (but interesting in and of themselves, to see what children come up with), but a few seem to have a bit of truth around them...

Classic "real ghost story" i.e. urban myth/folkore stuff there - teacher/pupil/random other person dies violently, often by suicide in a suitably creeping location and now haunts said location.

The one about the "weird" top floor corridor and waving child is interesting, if true, as it sounds like one or more people not connecting to the school and therefore not knowing about the reputation, saw something.

We had a mythical pervert in the nearby woods on the park. His nickname was Dooley. No one ever saw him.

I think we’ve had the first one before. But the others are interesting.

From Reddit #timeslip

Six of the best Mumsnet timeslips - includes bonus sightings of a penny-farthing and a Vanishing House!

These are copied from a current active thread on Mumsnet

**Ellyfinsmum · 15/11/2022 10:03**

I've told the story on mumsnet before but to this day I've never actually told anyone in real life. It sounds so completely ridiculous. I was suffering from post natal depression and the time and I was not sure if was having some sort of distortion of reality but having checked some of the details I have come to the conclusion that this did somehow happen to me.

I left the house with my baby ds2 in the pram to collect ds1 from preschool. It felt unusually warm given it was February. I had to take my coat off after a few minutes and I remember thinking how odd, it actually feels like summer in the middle of February. As I was walking I remember seeing there was a different sign on the doctors surgery except instead of it being new it was quite old and shabby and I wondered why they would have replaced it with an old one. I didn't give it too much thought and carried on. A bit further down the road is a Co-op and I was going to pop in to get something on the way except when I got there it wasn't a Co-op, it was a pub. I was so confused, it had been a Co-op that morning, completely as usual so I was absolutely stumped at how it was now a pub. I looked in and it was a proper pub with a bar, people in it etc. I was just wtf about how thisCco-op had turned into a pub in the last 6 hours.

I carried on walking up the road to the preschool but as I got closer I realised I couldn't see the building. I started to panic a bit and started running towards where it should be. When I got there, it was literally just an empty bit of green field behind a fence. I just stood there staring at it thinking what the actual fuck is happening and where is it. And then it sort of dawned on me. I had not paid a huge amount of attention to this but when I'd been looking at the new pub there had been a blackboard sign outside it saying something about watching the 2004 some sort of football cup final and I realised that somehow I was in 2004. Looking around, I could see most things were the same but some things were slightly different, small things like a house was painted a different colour, a tree where there hadn't been one before, all the cars parked nearby looked a little older.

I was hyperventilating by this point thinking what on earth do I do? I'm supposed to be picking up ds1. If it’s 2004 he's not even born yet; I've not even met my husband yet and I'm stuck here with my baby wtf am I going to do?? I sort of slumped down next to the fence to catch my breath. I looked up as someone walked past and something about them made me feel like I was in the present day and I realised they were texting on an iPhone and thought well it can't be 2004 can it? I stood up and the preschool was right there, everything looked normal again so I just went in, collected my son and went back home.

As I said I was suffering from pnd and I was worried if I mentioned this incident to anyone I'd have looked completely mad so I never told anyone. It was a couple of years ago now. I asked at the doctors' surgery if they used to have a white sign with blue letters and they did. I looked into it and the Co-op did used to be a pub and I've found old photos of it and it looks identical to what I saw. I didn't even know it used to be a pub so I do now actually think I did have some sort of time slip and that I didn't imagine it. But I'm still not telling anyone in real life!!

**Namechangedforthisonetoday · 15/11/2022 14:18**

ellyfinsmum I completely believe you as the same has happened to me. I also thought I was going mad. It was 5/6 years ago and I was walking my dogs through fields behind my house. I decided to extend the walk and went a field further than I usually did. At the bottom of the field there are some woods with a small waterfall, the usual foliage, trees (obviously ) and the dogs were really enjoying the walk. I followed them to the edge of the woods and came to a 5 bar gate. Beyond the gate I could see a long track, a farmhouse and a van. I remember thinking "gosh I've lived here years and never realised there was another farm here" (we're very rural). I stood at the gate and got one of the strangest feelings I've ever had. I truly felt like I'd gone back in time. I can't explain it. All of a sudden the sun seemed to shine really bright, I looked at the van and realised it was one of those little old ones from the 30s. It was just a really bizarre feeling and I started to feel scared. I turned and walked back. A few months later I was with my DH and I told him I'd show him "the farm". We got to the gate. No driveway, just a paddock. No farmhouse, just the ruins of where something had been. I felt like I was going to throw up. I really believe something strange happened that day, what I do not know.

**CinnamonSodaPop · 15/11/2022 16:40**

Way back in the 80s, I was walking along the Derwent Walk. It is like a bridlepath with historical links to an old railway, goes over a lovely viaduct at one point, near Gibside Manor among other historial places. The surface was mainly large pebbles, suitable for walking or for modern bike tyres (although I always got punctures when riding there as a kid). One morning someone wearing old fashioned clothes rode past me on a Penny Farthing. As odd as that is, I didn't think much of it at the time. Since I have realised that Penny Farthing bikes had solid tyres and there is no way it could have been riding on such a pebbled uneven surface. A ghost or a flashback, timeslip, random historical reenactor from Beamish with special tyres? I'll never know but it is the only time I every saw a Penny Farthing!

**Clovacloud · 16/11/2022 11:04**

I'm a huge family history nerd, and I love reading old newspapers to see what my ancestors have been up to. And I think I came across a time slip story in a 1898 local newspaper.

There was a story about a local man, who had walked out into the lane in front of his house. Apparently he saw hundreds of people in the lane, and terrified he ran to the neighbours screaming about seeing all these people. They went out, just saw an empty lane, but he insisted they had been there. The neighbours by this point thought he had gone mad (which in fairness he might have done), and called the police. He told his story to the police who took him away to calm him down. And then there isn't any follow up story. Now 100 years later that lane is now a main road, and one of the most walked routes into town with an Aldi and a massive Sainsbury's on it. I wonder if he had a brief time slip?

If you like time slip stories, Google "Suffolk Timeslips" there have been quite a few there.

**Squiff70 · 17/11/2022 03:50**

Ellyfinsmum I absolutely believe you. I'm a huge skeptic, and to the best of my knowledge I haven't experienced anything like what you described. ...

A few weeks ago I was browsing MN and reading a thread similar to this. One person described how she'd been travelling with a companion on a very familiar route by car and both of them saw an old/ancient stone bridge covered in moss. Neither of them recognised the bridge and had never noticed it before. When travelling on that same stretch of road a short time later, the bridge wasn't there.

As a PP said, humans are very ignorant to assume we know all there is to know. Clearly we don't, and whatever the true explanations, there's good reason we don't know.

Your experience sounds utterly terrifying and bewildering. I've had a few very strange experiences which I can't explain but nothing on the level you've described here.

**JestersTear · 18/11/2022 01:26**

I'm not sure this is as spooky as some of the tales on here, but here's one of mine.

Hubby and I often drive from our home city to visit family in my old hometown. Almost always we travel home in the dark down A-roads through the countryside. We now know all the landmarks, farmhouses, etc, on the route as we've driven it so often over the last almost 20 years.

One evening, not too late, about 8pm, we were driving home as usual. The weather was ok, a little foggy but nothing too bad, and all of a sudden, out of the mist I see an Elizabethan manor house to the side of the road. It was quite large with fancy chimneys and dark beams, little windows etc. I was surprised as I'd never noticed it before and at that point, we'd been making the trip regularly over the course of a few years. After we'd passed by, and I could no longer see it, my husband asked 'Did you see that?' I asked him what and he replied, the manor house. I said yes! I've never noticed it before, he said the same and we pondered on it for the rest of the journey home.

The next time we went up, we kept an eye out for it in the daylight - nothing. Not even a building or anything where we saw it. We looked again on the way home in the dark, reasoning that it may well have been a trick of the light or something but again - nothing.

We have often looked for that manor house on our journeys up and down that road, and never again has it appeared. We still wonder about it now.

I have never felt at ease on that particular part of the route...

**Source:** https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/am_i_b...unexplainable-and-spooky-has-happened-to-you?

I think we’ve had the first one before. But the others are interesting.

From Reddit #timeslip

Six of the best Mumsnet timeslips - includes bonus sightings of a penny-farthing and a Vanishing House!

These are copied from a current active thread on Mumsnet

**Ellyfinsmum · 15/11/2022 10:03**

I've told the story on mumsnet before but to this day I've never actually told anyone in real life. It sounds so completely ridiculous. I was suffering from post natal depression and the time and I was not sure if was having some sort of distortion of reality but having checked some of the details I have come to the conclusion that this did somehow happen to me.

I left the house with my baby ds2 in the pram to collect ds1 from preschool. It felt unusually warm given it was February. I had to take my coat off after a few minutes and I remember thinking how odd, it actually feels like summer in the middle of February. As I was walking I remember seeing there was a different sign on the doctors surgery except instead of it being new it was quite old and shabby and I wondered why they would have replaced it with an old one. I didn't give it too much thought and carried on. A bit further down the road is a Co-op and I was going to pop in to get something on the way except when I got there it wasn't a Co-op, it was a pub. I was so confused, it had been a Co-op that morning, completely as usual so I was absolutely stumped at how it was now a pub. I looked in and it was a proper pub with a bar, people in it etc. I was just wtf about how thisCco-op had turned into a pub in the last 6 hours.

I carried on walking up the road to the preschool but as I got closer I realised I couldn't see the building. I started to panic a bit and started running towards where it should be. When I got there, it was literally just an empty bit of green field behind a fence. I just stood there staring at it thinking what the actual fuck is happening and where is it. And then it sort of dawned on me. I had not paid a huge amount of attention to this but when I'd been looking at the new pub there had been a blackboard sign outside it saying something about watching the 2004 some sort of football cup final and I realised that somehow I was in 2004. Looking around, I could see most things were the same but some things were slightly different, small things like a house was painted a different colour, a tree where there hadn't been one before, all the cars parked nearby looked a little older.

I was hyperventilating by this point thinking what on earth do I do? I'm supposed to be picking up ds1. If it’s 2004 he's not even born yet; I've not even met my husband yet and I'm stuck here with my baby wtf am I going to do?? I sort of slumped down next to the fence to catch my breath. I looked up as someone walked past and something about them made me feel like I was in the present day and I realised they were texting on an iPhone and thought well it can't be 2004 can it? I stood up and the preschool was right there, everything looked normal again so I just went in, collected my son and went back home.

As I said I was suffering from pnd and I was worried if I mentioned this incident to anyone I'd have looked completely mad so I never told anyone. It was a couple of years ago now. I asked at the doctors' surgery if they used to have a white sign with blue letters and they did. I looked into it and the Co-op did used to be a pub and I've found old photos of it and it looks identical to what I saw. I didn't even know it used to be a pub so I do now actually think I did have some sort of time slip and that I didn't imagine it. But I'm still not telling anyone in real life!!

ellyfinsmum I completely believe you as the same has happened to me. I also thought I was going mad. It was 5/6 years ago and I was walking my dogs through fields behind my house. I decided to extend the walk and went a field further than I usually did. At the bottom of the field there are some woods with a small waterfall, the usual foliage, trees (obviously ) and the dogs were really enjoying the walk. I followed them to the edge of the woods and came to a 5 bar gate. Beyond the gate I could see a long track, a farmhouse and a van. I remember thinking "gosh I've lived here years and never realised there was another farm here" (we're very rural). I stood at the gate and got one of the strangest feelings I've ever had. I truly felt like I'd gone back in time. I can't explain it. All of a sudden the sun seemed to shine really bright, I looked at the van and realised it was one of those little old ones from the 30s. It was just a really bizarre feeling and I started to feel scared. I turned and walked back. A few months later I was with my DH and I told him I'd show him "the farm". We got to the gate. No driveway, just a paddock. No farmhouse, just the ruins of where something had been. I felt like I was going to throw up. I really believe something strange happened that day, what I do not know.

**CinnamonSodaPop · 15/11/2022 16:40**

Way back in the 80s, I was walking along the Derwent Walk. It is like a bridlepath with historical links to an old railway, goes over a lovely viaduct at one point, near Gibside Manor among other historial places. The surface was mainly large pebbles, suitable for walking or for modern bike tyres (although I always got punctures when riding there as a kid). One morning someone wearing old fashioned clothes rode past me on a Penny Farthing. As odd as that is, I didn't think much of it at the time. Since I have realised that Penny Farthing bikes had solid tyres and there is no way it could have been riding on such a pebbled uneven surface. A ghost or a flashback, timeslip, random historical reenactor from Beamish with special tyres? I'll never know but it is the only time I every saw a Penny Farthing!

**Clovacloud · 16/11/2022 11:04**

I'm a huge family history nerd, and I love reading old newspapers to see what my ancestors have been up to. And I think I came across a time slip story in a 1898 local newspaper.

There was a story about a local man, who had walked out into the lane in front of his house. Apparently he saw hundreds of people in the lane, and terrified he ran to the neighbours screaming about seeing all these people. They went out, just saw an empty lane, but he insisted they had been there. The neighbours by this point thought he had gone mad (which in fairness he might have done), and called the police. He told his story to the police who took him away to calm him down. And then there isn't any follow up story. Now 100 years later that lane is now a main road, and one of the most walked routes into town with an Aldi and a massive Sainsbury's on it. I wonder if he had a brief time slip?

If you like time slip stories, Google "Suffolk Timeslips" there have been quite a few there.

**Squiff70 · 17/11/2022 03:50**

Ellyfinsmum I absolutely believe you. I'm a huge skeptic, and to the best of my knowledge I haven't experienced anything like what you described. ...

A few weeks ago I was browsing MN and reading a thread similar to this. One person described how she'd been travelling with a companion on a very familiar route by car and both of them saw an old/ancient stone bridge covered in moss. Neither of them recognised the bridge and had never noticed it before. When travelling on that same stretch of road a short time later, the bridge wasn't there.

As a PP said, humans are very ignorant to assume we know all there is to know. Clearly we don't, and whatever the true explanations, there's good reason we don't know.

Your experience sounds utterly terrifying and bewildering. I've had a few very strange experiences which I can't explain but nothing on the level you've described here.

**JestersTear · 18/11/2022 01:26**

I'm not sure this is as spooky as some of the tales on here, but here's one of mine.

Hubby and I often drive from our home city to visit family in my old hometown. Almost always we travel home in the dark down A-roads through the countryside. We now know all the landmarks, farmhouses, etc, on the route as we've driven it so often over the last almost 20 years.

One evening, not too late, about 8pm, we were driving home as usual. The weather was ok, a little foggy but nothing too bad, and all of a sudden, out of the mist I see an Elizabethan manor house to the side of the road. It was quite large with fancy chimneys and dark beams, little windows etc. I was surprised as I'd never noticed it before and at that point, we'd been making the trip regularly over the course of a few years. After we'd passed by, and I could no longer see it, my husband asked 'Did you see that?' I asked him what and he replied, the manor house. I said yes! I've never noticed it before, he said the same and we pondered on it for the rest of the journey home.

The next time we went up, we kept an eye out for it in the daylight - nothing. Not even a building or anything where we saw it. We looked again on the way home in the dark, reasoning that it may well have been a trick of the light or something but again - nothing.

We have often looked for that manor house on our journeys up and down that road, and never again has it appeared. We still wonder about it now.

I have never felt at ease on that particular part of the route...

**Source:** https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/am_i_b...unexplainable-and-spooky-has-happened-to-you?
I think the last one was the setup for a Jonathan Creek episode.

We started rewatching JC but it was never as good when Caroline Quentin left and it got ridiculous at the end.
Agreed, when the Quentin-era saw some cracking episodes, especially the dead guy in the farmhouse cellar and the rock star, the frog and the hippies episodes. But yes, it kept getting resurrected for short runs after she left and sadly by then had lost all its charm, wit and originality. JC eventually became an advertising executive *rolls eye*.

There was an en episode in which two women see a house that is later revealed as a fake frontage film prop, but I do feel this shouldn't detract from the experience in the episode above as there have been some well documented time-slip house cases over the years.

Story 4- the old man from the 1898 clipping, sounds like he may have had a psychotic episode or maybe something dementia related given his age.

All interesting tales though.
Crucially, he didn't describe those masses of people as wearing futuristic/unfamiliar clothing which somewhat undermines the suggestion he saw future shoppers.

I like the details in this one, especially as regards the sun seeming really bright:

ellyfinsmum I completely believe you as the same has happened to me. I also thought I was going mad. It was 5/6 years ago and I was walking my dogs through fields behind my house. I decided to extend the walk and went a field further than I usually did. At the bottom of the field there are some woods with a small waterfall, the usual foliage, trees (obviously ) and the dogs were really enjoying the walk. I followed them to the edge of the woods and came to a 5 bar gate. Beyond the gate I could see a long track, a farmhouse and a van. I remember thinking "gosh I've lived here years and never realised there was another farm here" (we're very rural). I stood at the gate and got one of the strangest feelings I've ever had. I truly felt like I'd gone back in time. I can't explain it. All of a sudden the sun seemed to shine really bright, I looked at the van and realised it was one of those little old ones from the 30s. It was just a really bizarre feeling and I started to feel scared. I turned and walked back. A few months later I was with my DH and I told him I'd show him "the farm". We got to the gate. No driveway, just a paddock. No farmhouse, just the ruins of where something had been. I felt like I was going to throw up. I really believe something strange happened that day, what I do not know."

This does seem genuine and the observation about the sun chimes with some other reported time-slips in which the sun has been unusual in some way (wrong part of sky, suddenly visible, too dark/bright etc)

Twitter (not me): Weird-Wiltshire @WeirdWiltsBlog
Strange things happen in our house…today we were all out. No one here! Came home and this ring is on the kitchen surface. None of us have ever seen it before. No one has been in the house. It wasn’t there this morning, I know for sure as I wiped the surfaces over. Contd….

Here’s an extra layer of strange…I’ve been looking for a new ring (I wear silver) for my middle finger and this fits me perfectly. But honestly, I cannot understand where this came from? None of us do!

1671995618423.png

Twitter (not me): Weird-Wiltshire @WeirdWiltsBlog
Strange things happen in our house…today we were all out. No one here! Came home and this ring is on the kitchen surface. None of us have ever seen it before. No one has been in the house. It wasn’t there this morning, I know for sure as I wiped the surfaces over. Contd….

Here’s an extra layer of strange…I’ve been looking for a new ring (I wear silver) for my middle finger and this fits me perfectly. But honestly, I cannot understand where this came from? None of us do!

View attachment 61885
It doesn't look decorative to me but rather some sort of old-fashioned clamp for a hose or wire. I'm pretty sure I can see a horizontal groove on the front where a small screwdriver might tighten it and that a actually looks like a metal washer of sorts behind (in the middle portion)

It doesn't look decorative to me but rather some sort of old-fashioned clamp for a hose or wire. I'm pretty sure I can see a horizontal groove on the front where a small screwdriver might tighten it and that a actually looks like a metal washer of sorts behind (in the middle portion)
Definitely looks like a ring to me especially with the twist work around the bezel.

Last edited:
It’s a ring (like I said there’s work around the bezel) I know one when I see one and so does the person who found it.
It looks very much like the ones we made at school back in the 70’s. We only had one term at making jewellery as we got to keep what we made. I expect the cost of the materials was too much for more than 1 project each.

Back