• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Inuit folklore

When I was over in Arctic Canada for a little while in the 1990s, I was very respectful of the Innuit: whilst being collectively scared of them. And: usually being utterly-puzzled by their manner...with all three factors in notionally equal measure (nb I'm being entirely-subjective and apologise for my sweeping negativity).

I knew I was the intruder...it might even have helped contribute to my choice of name here on the forum ...but: I generally found them very very difficult to communicate with. Nothing to do with language, everything to do with divergent cultures, and, personality types (don't shoot this messenger, I'm just being honest).

It's a highly-complicated contemporary situation for what the national/provincial governments refer to as 'the aboriginal populations' (they themselves tend to prefer the term "First Nations Peoples").

A stunning part of the world that it saddens me I'll probably never get to see again.

This video was extremely interesting, thanks!

EDIT I'd not looked up any news from that part of the world for a long while...having just done so, my immediate reaction is to think "Yep...sounds only too familiar" Sheshatshiu Innu First Nation in Newfoundland declares suicide crisis

Last edited:
Back