• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Local Traditions

I use veggie (dried soya) mince. about 100g and then add a pint and a half of 'stock'. This is made up from:

Tablespoon of tomato ketchup. Ditto brown sauce. Heaped teaspoon of veggie bouillon. two-three teaspoons of Worcester sauce. Dessert spoon of DARK soy for colour. A dessert spoon of fish sauce. Boiling water. Pour over mince and stir until all liquid absorbed. I usually leave this a couple of hours.

I saute in oil, a finely chopped onion, two sticks of celery and a large carrot finely chopped. Add mince. Add a little liquid and simmer for 30 minutes. Add water if required, you want it fairly wet for lasagna as the pasta suck all the moisture out.

Make lasagna with that - although I make a proper bechamel, pint and half of milk, one large onion, carrot, stick of celery, bay leaf, sprinkle of nutmeg and a few peppercorns. This soaks the whole time the mince is soaking. I then bring it to the boil, let it stand for 20 minutes, sieve the whole lot, heat it back up, add 3oz butter, let it melt, whisk it smooth and then add the 2-3oz flour whisking as it goes in.

Make lasagna. Grate cheese on top.

Never any left over. Not ever...
Not vegetarian. Worcester sauce and fish sauce both contain anchovies.

Not vegetarian. Worcester sauce and fish sauce both contain anchovies.
Good point. the Coalettes and Mrs Coal don't eat meat, but do eat fish. Should have made that clear.

Light soy might be an acceptable alternative to give it a bit of flavour.

Is there such a thing as a Worcester sauce replacement that is vegetarian?

Some years back, I had a glut of garlic and decided to preserve some cloves in vinegar. Very like the origin-story of Lea & Perrins, I left this jar for some time. It was not entirely forgotten but, with fresh garlic to hand, I did not investigate it.

By the time I did, the pickle had darkened somewhat but the fluid was remarkably like Worcester Sauce. I seem to recall that it was used exactly that way and the pale garlic cloves, sucked of their lifeblood were discarded. :(

Anchovy and tamarind may add their notes to the mix but the Worcester Sauce is essentially pickled garlic. :cooll:

Is there such a thing as a Worcester sauce replacement that is vegetarian?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henderson's_Relish
Ip76h.jpg

We've got this town (Parkes), not far from where I live that has had an Elvis festival, every year in January, since 1993.

They shut off the town for three days and play nothing but elvis music over the tannoy (for three days - think, The Prisoner, without the ballons). Now, I've got nothing against tourists who like elvis, and I don't mind his earlier music, but having hundreds of people dressed in bobby socks and other accoutrements dancing the jitterbug in the streets and on the pavements, when all I want to do is get a bag of chookfood back to the vehicle doesn't fill me with the joy of life - especially seeing the males in their jumpsuits doing their karate kicks (and some really, really shouldn't), uttering thank you very much, sotto voce, all in 40 plus degrees. Mad bastards, all of 'em.

Elvis.jpg

72989456.jpg

The only saving grace is a barefoot rugby union game. Elvis V Elvis, which can get a bit mucky...
r0_30_1098_647_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Then we've got the Abba Festival coming up in a little town near me that goes by the name of Trundle
trundle-central-west-nsw-data.jpg

r0_0_1280_720_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

watching-abba-themed-marriage-vow-renewal-data.jpg

that has the (gawd struth) 'I do, I do, I do, marriage vow renewal section around the back of the Trundle local.

Abba has only been on for the last four years, so it's still got little legs - who knows what it'll turn into...eh.

Last edited:
The Ozzievision Song Contest?

To be honest Mytho, I prefer to watch anything like that from 12,000 miles away. Unfortunately, some Aussie hipster might think that an Ozzievision contest would be so ironic...

If only they'd stick with their beards, their mason jars, their fixxies and their choice of clothes - and just leave irony to the sarcastic - I wouldn't mind it then.

That Elvis thing looks like it would be a good laugh to visit the once but I can see how it would get annoying yearly if you lived there ..

That Elvis thing looks like it would be a good laugh to visit the once but I can see how it would get annoying yearly if you lived there ..

It's a bit of a hoot Swifty - they get right into it, and it's always so bloody hot - I really don't know how they do it.

I'm not game to visit Parkes of an evening when it's on - my imagination captures scenes of sunburnt, hoarse, and tired and emotional Elvis's spilling out of the pubs, wigs in a state of déshabillé, myopically wandering the streets of Parkes, the Tupelo honey replaced with broad strine mutterings of "Now which caravan park was it this year"?

I'm not game to visit Parkes of an evening when it's on - my imagination captures scenes of sunburnt, hoarse, and tired and emotional Elvis's spilling out of the pubs, wigs in a state of déshabillé, myopically wandering the streets of Parkes, the Tupelo honey replaced with broad strine mutterings of "Now which caravan park was it this year"?

hell! you've found it!

A legend, a celebration, a 3-day food fight ... What's not to like? ...
Italians throw fruit for annual Battle of the Oranges

Thousands of people took to the streets of an Italian village to pelt each other with fruit as part of the annual Battle of the Oranges.

Officials said more than 500 tons of oranges were imported from Sicily to Ivrea for the annual event, which is part of the Carnival of Ivrea.

Local legend holds that a young girl decapitated a tyrannical baron in the 12th century when he attempted to coerce her into sex on the night before her wedding. The girl paraded the baron's head through the town, sparking a peasant uprising, the story states.

Each year a girl is chosen to portray "Violetta," the girl from the story, and lead the event.

The food fight is scheduled to last for a total three days, ending Tuesday.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...r-annual-Battle-of-the-Oranges/4811551728027/

It's a bit of a hoot Swifty - they get right into it, and it's always so bloody hot - I really don't know how they do it.

My in-laws have been, and loved it. Pondering this, I'm not exactly sure what kind of family I've married into.

Around here we have what is claimed to be Australia's largest (and longest running Scottish festival). The town even officially changes it's name for the day to 'Brigadoon'. It happens early April each year and goes ahead rain, hail or shine. Often the weather is poor, so those truly of Scottish descent are reminded of home. Men in kilts, caber tossing, bagpipe playing, haggis and enough tartan to send you cross eyed is what it's all about.

I would LOVE to go to something like that! The whole Royal Deeside Balmorality Tartan Tat thing! Done with enthusiasm I imagine it would be very enjoyable :ness:

My colleague, who lives up Tiverton way, always goes to the Wassailing in January, when they bless the apple trees with cider.

Another colleague, who lives in Bradninch, enthusiastically participates in the Twelfth Night custom of making a paper mâché lantern and then dragging her (real) Christmas tree to a big bonfire, where everyone throws them on in turn.

IMHO Hendersons Relish is much nicer than Worcester Sauce

But of course you have to be careful which part of the country you say stuff like that in...

IMHO Hendersons Relish is much nicer than Worcester Sauce

But of course you have to be careful which part of the country you say stuff like that in...
Wash your mouth out! That's heresy!

My colleague, who lives up Tiverton way, always goes to the Wassailing in January, when they bless the apple trees with cider.

I've seen this on an older series of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's River Cottage. It looks like a whole lot of fun and a helluva good time!

Back