• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird localised warm patch

SmirnoffMule

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I just stepped out into the garden for a fag (in the British sense), and was wandering up and down the path, deep in thought. It's a chilly night, all vapour-breathy and feels like it's going to frost, but I walked into this weird warm patch of air about half way down the path. Very definately much warmer than the surrounding air. I stood there for a few seconds, then stepped out of it and tried to step back in, but it was gone, replaced with frosty bitingness. Very strange.

I was put in mind of To Kill a Mocking Bird, where Scout and Jem are talking about haints (? been a while since I read it) where you walk through a weird warm patch in the road, and it's a wandering spirit that will suck your breath unless you say a certain rhyme.

Anyone got any ideas as to what might have caused my warm patch, or know anything about the haints mentioned in TKaMB?

Hi,
I haven't read "To Kill a Mockingbird" I'm afraid but I did look up Haints and found that is seems to be just an American word for ghost or monster, the Haint in the book being Boo Radley

Here is a link if you are interested

http://www.courseworkbank.co.uk/cou..._example_prejudice_kill_mockingbird_dis_2552/

I have never heard of the scary warm patch thing, sounds really creepy, I wouldn't want to have by breath sucked away:(

It does put me in mind of a friend of mind who used to live near Thurso. She said there was a bit of water that was popular with surfers because it was always warm. The reason? It was the outflow of water from the cooling towers at Dounray! Just as bad if not worse!:eek!!!!:

'Weird localised warm patch'? I've experienced this phenomenon in swimming pools - never could fathom it. ;)

Was it windy at all?

A couple of friends of mine experienced the opposite phenomenom - a cold patch. They were playing golf and walked through a noticeably cold patch during their game. They were so surprised by it they walked through it several times to make sure they weren't imagining things.

I have one of these in my house. It's always warm in one spot whatever time of year or day, even though it's not in the sun.

Noticed them outdoors too when I'm out walking the dogs. We seem to suddenly walk into a warm patch, then it goes cold.

dunno...........................:confused:

:p Divine wind yourself, Emps.

I've since wondered whether it wasn't something really banal and stupid like me suddenly feeling the heat from my cigarette on my face - but I think I would've figured that out at the time. Besides, it didn't seem to be just on my face, it seemed all over. I remember it on my hands distinctly.

Thanks for the Haint info, Min. I think the haints in TKaMB, which is set in Alabama are more explainable, Alabama being very hot and all, the heat might be absorbed by certain materials and remain in a certain spot long after the sun has gone. But this is Britain, we don't hold with that sun nonsense.

Still got no clue :confused:

Back