• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

Just came across this article, baby name finds from 1877. All the names on the list are First and Middle names, unless denoted with sn (surname) A few highlights:
Barwood Platt (sn: Woodnutt)
Biggleswade
Boadicea
Crisp Ingomar (sn: Figgins)
Effierenda
Effeldipha Ann
Favoretta Hermione Agnes
Habakkuk
Lambatous Richards
Mehetabel Eliza
Peter The Great & William The Conqueror (twins)
Spendlove Odessa
https://www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2019/02/finds-from-1877.html

Just came across this article, baby name finds from 1877. All the names on the list are First and Middle names, unless denoted with sn (surname) A few highlights:
Barwood Platt (sn: Woodnutt)
Biggleswade
Boadicea
Crisp Ingomar (sn: Figgins)
Effierenda
Effeldipha Ann
Favoretta Hermione Agnes
Habakkuk
Lambatous Richards
Mehetabel Eliza
Peter The Great & William The Conqueror (twins)
Spendlove Odessa
https://www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2019/02/finds-from-1877.html
Habbakuk and Mehetabel are some of the more underused Biblical names, not everyone was keen on Mary and Peter.

Habbakuk and Mehetabel are some of the more underused Biblical names, not everyone was keen on Mary and Peter.
I gotta say, names were a lot more interesting back then, I loved that there were Anglo-Saxon names! Aelred Joseph, Athelstane John. Let's normalize Anglo-Saxon and Biblical names.

Although I did feel sorry for ol' Beanland...

Zipporah Lisle-Mainwaring featured in a planning saga.

"A woman who infuriated her neighbours by painting her townhouse in red and white stripes is now bringing a High Court claim for £4.6 million against the lawyers who handled the property deal.
Zipporah Lisle-Mainwaring, 72, bought the mews property in Kensington in 2012 with plans to convert it from office use to a luxury home, with a double basement and swimming pool.
But her plan was rejected by the council, sparking a long-running legal battle during which time Ms Lisle-Mainwaring repainted the front of the building to the dismay of her neighbours."

One of the posters here has a strange name that was apparently used as a nickname for one of my ancestors.
When it first came up I did a double take as I had thought it must have been an odd family thing.

Despite my lifelong love of Pre-Raphaelite art, l’d never heard of this West Bromwich-born artist in enamels until l went into Brum on Saturday to an exhibition at the museum:

IMG_0560.jpeg

Biography of the enchantingly-named Miss Bunn.

maximus otter

Back