Weird Names

Donna Black

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
As possibly previously mentioned, my brother's former boss's name was Jan Glasscock. (The 'J' being pronounced as in 'jam' rather than 'yam'.)
He'd walk into an office to introduce himself and invite the workers to get the giggling over with quickly so that could all get down to some work. When he upset Bro, a round of brews was produced with a nice hot sugary tea in Bro's dog's personal mug for Jan.
I just came here to mention a Glasscock too - physics teacher if I recall. Teachers go through a special kind of hell with funny surnames.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
A man whose name is Storm Denniss is being menaced by online trolls asking him not to wreak havoc on their homes and gardens over the weekend.

Mr Denniss claims he has been receiving "random messages" from strangers online since the Met Office predicted a 1,200-mile wide storm of the same name to hit the region over the coming days.
Storm Dennis could bring up to a month's worth of rainfall in just 24 hours when it hits the UK tomorrow.
But 24-year-old Mr Denniss, from Whitby, says he has been hounded with emails since the storm was forecast on Tuesday, just two days after Storm Ciara brought floods to the region.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co...ging-him-not-ruin-their-homes-weekend-1740939

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
There's a belief in mental health that if you give a kid a stupid name the kid will end up in a psych unit by the time they're 13.

Obviously most of the parents are challenging

Last edited:

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Once, in a previous job, I had to deal with a customer with a frankly terrifying name : Victor Hardman.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
There's a belief in mental health that if you give a kid a stupid name the kid will end up in a psych unit by the time they're 13.

Obviously most of the parents are fuckwits.
Perhaps it ought to be the other way around - give a child a stupid name and the parents end up in a psych unit by the time it's 13. Having to had endure 13 years of teasing & taunting, it'll be tough enough to survive without them and probably bloody well pleased to be rid of them for naming them in such a way in the first place.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Perhaps it ought to be the other way around - give a child a stupid name and the parents end up in a psych unit by the time it's 13. Having to had endure 13 years of teasing & taunting, it'll be tough enough to survive without them and probably bloody well pleased to be rid of them for naming them in such a way in the first place.
May I direct you to a certain Johnny Cash song?

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I once had a job interview and the person interviewing me was named Crystal Lens. When I commented on it she said that most people don't notice.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I once had a job interview and the person interviewing me was named Crystal Lens. When I commented on it she said that most people don't notice.
Lens or Lenz?

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
May I direct you to a certain Johnny Cash song?
Ah yes, good old Ringo Ffire. I went to school with him.:p

Many years ago, I dealt briefly with a customer who had formally changed his name to Long Striding Ant. He submitted documentary proof.

I agree strongly with comments above about not giving kids unusual or silly names, or, indeed, names that are spelled in a non standard way. I recently acquired a grandson and my only advice to my son and daughter in law was don't give him a name he'll have to spell to every customer and every customer service agent every time he's on the phone for the rest of his life.

I have personally known a Richola; her parents wanted a boy whom they would have called Richard. They had a daughter and decided to call her Nichola, but compromised on Richola at the last minute.

I went to school with a white western girl called Michal Boulter, pronounced simply "My Call Bolter". I remember a teacher reading out the register and pronouncing Michal's name with a pained attempt at sounding respectful to her (supposed) Arabic heritage: something like, "Meech'hahl Boowltah".

My grandad had a fairly normal name: Dennis Roy Jackson. The only strange thing was that everyone called him "John" except for his wife who called him "Jack".

One of my middle names is Denis with one N. It's caused me no end of hassle, including a company refusing to print wedding invitations with that spelling until the person placing the order showed them my birth certificate. My mother insisted on the one N spelling as a tribute to her dad. It was only after he died, many years later, and they were doing the necessary paperwork that they discovered it was really spelled with 2 Ns: Dennis.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Even my friends and family have trouble spelling my name. It's not exotic in the slightest.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One of my outpatient medical team is called Anne Summers. Given that she is extremely aesthetically pleasing it can lead to the mind wandering at the most inopportune time.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
To be honest, if I never hear any version of Tainted Love again, it'll be too soon. One of the most overplayed songs known to humanity.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
To be honest, if I never hear any version of Tainted Love again, it'll be too soon. One of the most overplayed songs known to humanity.
I think with any song, it is not just how good or bad the song is, it’s what you were up to when it got imprinted onto your memory and the subsequent memories it can induce.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
When I got married (long divorced now) my then wife acquired my surname, which made her new married name a well known armed robber woman from the 1930s.
It did used to make me chuckle to myself at the thought of her going into a bank etc.
Interestingly she took on a career as an accountant.
It's a bit 'poacher turns gamekeeper' in a way.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
My given name is one which has many spellings. All of which are represented in the wider family. There was a running joke at one point that only holders of this particular name could be considered as partners :)

then people started calling the babies by one or other variant :)

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My given name is one which has many spellings. All of which are represented in the wider family. There was a running joke at one point that only holders of this particular name could be considered as partners :)

then people started calling the babies by one or other variant :)
Babies in our family are variants