• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

I know, I know. That was just Solo.
Here I am, full of jibber-Jabba.

When I was a small person in a small town in West Virginia, there was a local family named Justice, who gave their oldest daughter the resplendently chromatic cognomen of Scarlett.

That's right, Forteans, Scarlett Justice. If there were superhero families who groomed the kids for careers in the capes, they could do worse than to name the kid that.

There was also a girl in my grade school named Cinderella Hebb.

In Hong Kong many people want to choose a unique English name for their kids (people here have an English name as well as Chinese name). I teach kids and the list really goes on and on forever, but some of my favourites so far have been Lego, Basic, and Fighting (all in the same class). Today I supply-taught a class that included a Moon and a Twinkle. I actually think it's really cute but I guess the kids may run into some mockery if they move abroad when they grow up.

In Hong Kong many people want to choose a unique English name for their kids (people here have an English name as well as Chinese name). I teach kids and the list really goes on and on forever, but some of my favourites so far have been Lego, Basic, and Fighting (all in the same class). Today I supply-taught a class that included a Moon and a Twinkle. I actually think it's really cute but I guess the kids may run into some mockery if they move abroad when they grow up.

I was at college with an Asian student called Hammond Ng. He soon earned the nickname Breakfast.

Orange, I met somebody who claimed that their name was Orange--what a fool.

In the East Anglian town of my wife’s adolescence lived the Death family. (They pronounced it De’Ath). ...

There are two - not necessarily mutually exclusive - theories as to the origin of the surname Death. One theory specifically attributes the name to a fusion of 'De' and 'Ath' - a place name in Belgium. See, for example:

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Death

The other theory (yes - 'Death' as in death ... ) may have been an independent line of descent from the medieval English 'deeth'.

I recall reading an article many years ago about names in colonial America - many of which had essentially disappeared. 'Death' was one of the surnames cited as having been surprisingly common around the time of the Revolution.

What about the names Bishop and Pope?

Or the grandparents of one or other of the perpetrators?

So many hippies seemed to have rich rellies they could fall back on.

Yup, the hardcore hippies I knew were all toffs trying hard to talk like East End weed pushers. After a few years of dossing around and not washing they'd rise effortlessly from the depths to resume their destined places in the Establishment pantheon, in a process known as cutting my hair: dumping their erstwhile friends in the true counterculture without a second thought.

They were known as plastic hippies.......

*nods* Indeed. We all knew who they were. The dealers did, too!

I still see real old hippies/punk friends around, those who've survived. One still has a Mohican, only it's on the side of his balding head, like a standing-up combover. Satire on legs!

His son is doing Media/TV at Salford. I bet he has plenty of material for his student pieces!

I still see real old hippies/punk friends around, those who've survived. One still has a Mohican, only it's on the side of his balding head, like a standing-up combover. Satire on legs!
B5_londo.jpg

Actually from The Jimmy Kimmel Show.

Back