• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

I sent a patient to a hospital in Edinburgh. The doctor asked him what his doctor was called and when he said it was Donald Duck the doctor said he should be calling a psychiatrist for him

Donald Duck

Dr Donald Duck, GP

Odd names from today's and tomorrow's obits:

Peachie Pitts
Other Delbert Spears, with a brother named Oval Spears. Other reminds me of T. Pratchett's Medium Dave. :lol:

Nice address in Dublin

hallybods said:
ghost dog said:
I recal a story in the papers regarding a street name. Residents petitioned to have their street name changed from cowshit lane to at the very least cowslip lane.

there used to be an area in north Dublin called "Slutsend" - dunno where the name came from and I think the locals managed to get it abolished...

on bad first names, my grandma's was Attracta, and no, she didnt moonlight as a piece of heavy farm equipment. Also I have a very old nun relative called Sister Perpetua who is reputed never to have stopped talking...ever...

Evelyn Waughs trivia

James Whitehead said:
Snobby lot the Waughs - seems to be in the blood. But their names
could be traps in other ways: Evelyn was more or less universally
referred to as Miss Waugh when his first books were reviewed! :eek:

His wife's name was Evelyn too - they were known to their friends as Hevelyn and Shevelyn

Re: Nice address in Dublin

Bojangles said:
on bad first names, my grandma's was Attracta, and no, she didnt moonlight as a piece of heavy farm equipment.
I like it! It appeals to the mathematician in me - Chaos theory has Strange Attractors!

Had a customer recently rang up and asked for an item to be put aside for her, but she hasn't turned up to collect it. But there are only two entries in the local phone book with her name, so I should be able to track her down! (Unless she's ex-directory...)

another weird name

anome said:
Delbert said:
I was just looking through an old company newsletter from 1990, and it had a list of new starters, one of which was called Junior Boatswain!
What? Not Roger the Cabin Boy?

I was looking through my brother's school annuals and I spotted a boy in a senior year called "Christian Victory". He looked pretty keen too.

Working in a call centre I had a list of favourite names...

"Yes, hello, this is Mr String, Mr G String..."

i've always liked the surname Lovelady and wondered what it's provenance was...apologies if this has already been discussed, i've come late to this discussion and haven't read evey post!

Mr Little Penis gives up

Greets

Ananova:
Mr Little Penis gives up

A Romanian man whose surname means Little Penis has given up trying to change it because of red tape.

Constantin Putica, 45, said he had got fed up with trips to various state offices and constant bureaucratic hassles.

He said: "I have got used to people laughing when they hear my name. I can live with it."

But Putica is not the only Romanian with an embarrassing surname, local daily Libertatea reported.

According to state records, there are another 243 people with the same surname, 233 people with the surname Muia which means Oral Sex and dozens with the name Caca (Faeces), Cur (Ass) and Coi (Testicle).

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1245663.html

mal

An Irish friend of mine has a neice with the surname Lee.
Her mum was having a hard time thinking of names before the birth, until she heard a documentary on an Irish saint named saint Brocha (Brok - ah), which she thought would be ideal, until she told her friends and they started to laugh.

My Grandmothers name was Jocelyn.

But on every official document aside from her birth certificate she was Josephine.

(We got her headstone, right, dont worry)

Her sister was Winifred. (two nice old, welsh names, there) my late sister was also a welsh name, Bronwyn.

But welsh and other celtic names are back in fashion, arent they?

I wont reveal my using name (let alone my true name, which is never used) but my mother always told me that if I had been born a boy, she would have called me Matthew...

I got off lucky, there

My sister was named after our Welsh grandmother, and it is a very uncommon name. I was very envious as a child, as I was named after our English grandmother, whose names are all too common. I longed to be called Myfanwy, which at the time, I thought the epitome of romance and femininity ...... looking back, I thnik I had a lucky escape ...

We had two very distant female cousins who were named Sharon and Sheena (they were twins) Back then, these names were a little exotic for our neck of the woods. My dad remarked that they sounded like a brand of furniture polish. Their parents were not pleased, and I don't think we've had contact with that branch of the family since around 1957....

hecate said:
I longed to be called Myfanwy, which at the time, I thought the epitome of romance and femininity ...... looking back, I thnik I had a lucky escape ....
Maybe so! I had a landlady once with a cat named Myfanwy, which (according to the landlady) had halitosis at both ends!

rynner said:
Maybe so! I had a landlady once with a cat named Myfanwy, which (according to the landlady) had halitosis at both ends!

She named her pussy Myfanwy :?:

Shurley shome mishtake :lol:

I noticed a file for a little girl called Amity today!!!

And was there really a company called 'Maidenhead Removals'?

Or is it just an old joke?

Gyrtrash said:
And was there really a company called 'Maidenhead Removals'?

Or is it just an old joke?

i used to live in maidenhead. i never heard of a company called that, but i know that next time i'm there, i will be looking in the phone book. :lol:

Mention in the local rag today of a chap called Bob Badger
- sounds like a kiddies' TV character!

There is a car wash in Costa Mesa called "Hand Job", a pharmacy in LA called "Sincere Drugs" and there used to be a cafe north of San Diego called the "Stretchmark Cafe".

There's a firm in the Croydon area called Albatross Removals. Not as good as Maidenhead, but it does conjure up a surreal picture.

Good heavens, there really is such a company...

Executive Removals Of Maidenhead
5 Laburnham Road
Maidenhead Berkshire SL6 8NJ

Pete Younger said:
Good heavens, there really is such a company...

Executive Removals Of Maidenhead
5 Laburnham Road
Maidenhead Berkshire SL6 8NJ

Wonder if they have any vacancies? 8)

Reporter fired for Yahoo baby hoax

Greets

further to

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 934#485934

Reporter fired for Yahoo baby hoax

Monday, January 24, 2005 Posted: 7:16 AM EST (1216 GMT)

BUCHAREST, Romania (Reuters) -- A Romanian tabloid says it has fired a reporter for making up a story about a couple who named their son Yahoo as a sign of gratitude for meeting over the Internet.

Earlier this month, major Bucharest daily Libertatea published a story saying two Romanians had named their baby Yahoo and printed a picture of his birth certificate. The news was widely picked up on the Internet.

"It was the reporter's child's birth certificate, which he modified," said Simona Ionescu, Libertatea's deputy editor-in-chief. "We fired him."

She said Ion Garnod, who had worked for the paper for several years, had admitted inventing the story to look good.

"If it were real, it would have been a good story indeed," Ionescu said.

Garnod was not available for comment.

http://www.newsisfree.com/iclick/i,69422684,2315,f/

mal

My favorite from this week's published births:

Summer Dawn Nicole Flowers. :roll:

I just sent a proposal out to one of our salespeople, Buck Rogers. :roll:

There is a referee in my local fooy league whos name is A.Wain

One time I was talking to a person on the phone who I subsequently found out was called Mrs Chisholm but I'd managed to mishear as Jism.

And in Ewell, there used to be a pub called The Organ Inn ... oh how we sniggered.

Dirtybob said:
There is a referee in my local fooy league whos name is A.Wain
He's not a policeman, is he?

Err, here, I guess. These people are pathetic. But I like "name refinement". It sounds like something the Pentagon would come up with.

Dummer prep school mulls name change

Wednesday, February 2, 2005 Posted: 2:08 PM EST (1908 GMT)

BOSTON, Massachusetts (Reuters) -- Governor Dummer Academy, an exclusive prep school north of Boston founded before the American War of Independence, wants to change its name to one that won't be the stuff of snide wisecracks.

In what headmaster Marty Doggett calls a "name refinement," Governor Dummer Academy is acting on a marketing firm's advice to upgrade to a more prestigious moniker in a bid to lure better students. A new name has yet to be picked.

However, it probably won't include "Dummer," the 18th-century Massachusetts governor who gave land and money to the school.

"We're trying to attract the best possible students we can from an array of backgrounds and locations," Doggett was quoted as saying in Tuesday's edition of The Boston Globe.

The school's board of directors voted to change the name, but did not select a new one.

Some alumni are apparently upset by the proposed name change at the 242-year-old institution, and Globe columnist Brian McGrory questioned the logic.

"If a kid took a pass on Governor Dummer because of its name, is that the kind of student they really want at their school?" McGrory wrote.

Doggett was not available for comment.

Copyright 2005 Reuters. All rights reserved.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/02/02 ... index.html

Back