• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

'Jesus' is a popular name in Hispanic cultures. Jesus is a currently venerated demigod whereas Odin represents a dead religion.
Livingston FC are signing someone called Odin Bailey.

How pretentious do you have to be to call your son Odin?
I've heard of a few Greeks being called Zeus, and there have definately been a few Scandinavians called Thor.
Manchester City have a player called Gabriel Jesus, that's and Arch Angel and the son of God (if you believe in that)

I've heard of a few Greeks being called Zeus, and there have definately been a few Scandinavians called Thor.
Manchester City have a player called Gabriel Jesus, that's and Arch Angel and the son of God (if you believe in that)

I know a Danish bloke called Thor.

He lives in Dublin though so everyone calls him "Tor".

I was once briefly acquainted with a young man called Crack (full name Caractacus)

I was told that he had a sister called Boudicca.
Lead character in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is Caractacus Potts.

I'm get a bit cross when those with less of a classical education laugh at names like Ariadne, as if it's some new-fangled made up name.

Lead character in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is Caractacus Potts.

I'm get a bit cross when those with less of a classical education laugh at names like Ariadne, as if it's some new-fangled made up name.

Just a little bit?

Livingston FC are signing someone called Odin Bailey.

How pretentious do you have to be to call your son Odin?
Our next English Springer Spaniel, planned for a couple of years from now, is likely going to be called Odin. If not Odin some other name with a Viking association. Our current pup is Rollo. We nearly took another from the same litter who had the pedigree name Torstein.

Just a little bit?
I don't have the energy...
Our next English Springer Spaniel, planned for a couple of years from now, is likely going to be called Odin. If not Odin some other name with a Viking association. Our current pup is Rollo. We nearly took another from the same litter who had the pedigree name Torstein.
There's an advert for PDSA or somesuch charity, featuring a kitten who has obviously had an eye removed recently, due to infection. The advert voiceover confidently tells us that 'little Odin would have died without treatment'. Am I the ONLY person who shouts out 'What was his name BEFORE THE OPERATION?'

I don't have the energy...

There's an advert for PDSA or somesuch charity, featuring a kitten who has obviously had an eye removed recently, due to infection. The advert voiceover confidently tells us that 'little Odin would have died without treatment'. Am I the ONLY person who shouts out 'What was his name BEFORE THE OPERATION?'
Iodine?

1629111839436.png

This is a Dutch geopolitics talk show. I post it for the last sentence. Translated literally:
"WIth our guest, the emeritus pilot Benno The Brick."

A few rose through the ranks, like Peter Eppelmann, a Calvinist peasant from Hademar in Nassau, who had enjoyed a university education thanks to good family connections and changed his name to the more elevated ‘Melander’, the Greek version of ‘Apple man’.

Europe's Tragedy: A New History of the Thirty Years War (Peter H. Wilson)

Ages ago I heard that some eccentric couple had decided to call their newborn child Depressed Cardboard Cheesecake. Does anyone know what happened to the child? Did he/she keep his/her name?

What's the weirdest name you've ever heard of? Apart from football fanatics naming their offspring after football teams, or whatever...
My daughter went to school with a girl named Tuesday After Lunch. Her brother had a weird name but I can't remember what it was.

I just remembered another one. My daughter's friend had a job in Dallas, TX as a social worker and told her about the mother who named her daughter Shithead (pronounced Shi'thade). I heard about this poor child from a co-worker whose wife was a nurse. He told me that the child was taken to the hospital and they were in the waiting room, the nurse who had to call for the child spent several minutes trying to figure out how to pronounce the kid's name and finally just called for Shithead, and the mother spent 5 minutes yelling that everyone mispronounced her daughters name. I told my daughter and she told me she had already heard about that crazy woman, too bad she didn't know about apostrophe's to make it more clear.

I just remembered another one. My daughter's friend had a job in Dallas, TX as a social worker and told her about the mother who named her daughter Shithead (pronounced Shi'thade). I heard about this poor child from a co-worker whose wife was a nurse. He told me that the child was taken to the hospital and they were in the waiting room, the nurse who had to call for the child spent several minutes trying to figure out how to pronounce the kid's name and finally just called for Shithead, and the mother spent 5 minutes yelling that everyone mispronounced her daughters name. I told my daughter and she told me she had already heard about that crazy woman, too bad she didn't know about apostrophe's to make it more clear.
I shouldn't laugh but..

Maybe that’s when she was conceived.
Probably. I asked and my daughter said she was told that "all good things happen on Tuesday after lunch". Her parents were hippies (about 3 decades late)

Last edited:
I am not going to say what my name is, but my mother made my first name up and being a female with a name that seems like 2 last names is sometimes funny because if someone sees my name before they meet me they expect a man, and they think my name was put down backwards and call me by my last name.

I am not going to say what my name is, but my mother made my first name up and being a female with a name that seems like 2 last names is sometimes funny because if someone sees my name before they meet me they expect a man, and they think my name was put down backwards and call me by my last name.
Flippin' Parents...tcha!

Back