• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Ages ago I heard that some eccentric couple had decided to call their newborn child Depressed Cardboard Cheesecake. Does anyone know what happened to the child? Did he/she keep his/her name?

What's the weirdest name you've ever heard of? Apart from football fanatics naming their offspring after football teams, or whatever...

Well my mother is called Robertina. She has distant cousins called Thomasina and Hughina.

Cujo

In the late 70's a bloke from a village near where I went to school changed his name to Cardboard Box. I have also worked with an HGV driver from the Birmingham area who changed his to Nasty Bastard - and I know that one's true because he showed me his driving license and credit cards.

a sheffield based radio station named halam fm are or were running a competition recently that required someone to change their name to halam fm for 1 year i dont know what they'd win for doing this but how badly would you want to win to change your name to halam fm?

cas

lol there are some good un's on there
one of my fav's was

Ima Hogg
Unlike the other names above, Ima Hogg actually does exist. She was the daughter of a early 20th century Texan politician. She was also a philanthropist. However, nobody has verified variations like Ima Pigg and Ura Hogg.

cas

One of my brothers is a civil servant. He collects odd names. This is one of his favourites.

Lilly Fatima Cheeseman

Cujo

Quote from the Rough Guide to the USA:

"Among the most famous of the philanthropists responsible for the development of downtown Houston were the cruelly named sisters Ima Hogg and Ura Hogg."

The oddest name I've personally come across, and forgive me if you're on these boards, is 'Tallan Skeens-Piggins'.

i worked in the hospital in Inverness which received blood samples from all over the highlands and islands. Some of the old wifies from the west coast had names like Murdina, Jamesina etc. It seems the parents had set their heart on having a boy and when a little girl inconveniently arrived they just added a bit on the end of the boys name they had chosen (e.g. Murdo, James)

There was a story a few years ago, repeated on The News Quiz on Radio 4, where a guy had got so irritated by his bank that he changed his name by deed poll to “Yorkshire Bank PLC are Fascist Bastards”. When they asked him to close his account he told them to repay the 69p balance with a cheque written in his new name.

Not wishing to mock the afflicted but there is also a Whalebelly listed in my local phonebook.

'Jances Raistlin Majere Baisler-Ridge'

'Nuff said.
That poor, poor girl...

Some more names from my brother's collection.

George McGungle
Lorranine and Walter Whibley

Cujo

There once was a Chipchase in our family.

luce

Deciding to name yourself something weird to spite the world
may be fun but giving a child a trash name is sheer evil.

The parents may not know it is a trash name but teachers will.

I could add a list here - it's the register I will be reading tomorrow.

Safety in numbers maybe, but it is a poor area.

And I heard all the jokes about Whitehead by the age of five. I will
probably hear them tomorrow as well, again.

Yup we should all be just numbers really. :(

And we all remember Frank Zappa and his Moonunits. And Zowie Bowie (didn't he later change his name to something more prosaic, like Fred?)

It's all very well for parents to give their kids fanciful names, but they forget the kids themselves have to put up with all the ribbing at school.

When my twin boys were born, my husband's aunt wanted them to have the family names - Cecil and Cuthbert (seriously:eek:)

Carole

I went to school with a lad whose middle names were:

Caruk Alladice

and another lad whose middle name was: Rockly

and a girl called Kiki Buchanan, which isn't easy to say when drunk I can tell you..........

My brother-in-law had a good friend of Scots-Greek parentage, called Socrates MacTaggert. He's also related to a family called Mann, including the brothers Andy and Arthur.

A mate had an embarrassing Christian name and changed it by deed poll at 18 to something more ordinary. It still causes trouble as her family insist on calling her '*****' and take delight in using that name in public.
As she was christened with that name, her family believe that she won't be called into Heaven by any other, and that serious post-mortem metaphsical problems may result.

As for 'masculinising' names for a child of the supposed wrong sex...that's just abusive.
I had elegant names ready for all my many babes, one for each sex, and was able to choose at the last moment as appropriate.

One child was gestated during the 'Dingo Baby' trial. I named him Aidan, not knowing where I'd heard this name, but liking it. Last year I read a book about the trial and discovered that the Chamberlain family had a son called, you've guessed it, Aidan! So my third child is named after the Dingo Baby's older brother....

Well..... I had vowed to remain anonymous on this message board (for obvious reasons !) but this is just too much to resist !!!

In fact my real name is :

Jerushah Marie Sunshine Sphere Jardine-Hettiaratchi

I've suffered ridicule at school, work, college etc. and when I got married the vicar reading the banns in church before the event even got confused and caused great guffaws throughout the congregation !!

Sometimes I consider setting up a society for the off-spring of 70's hippy parents !!

Haarp
:eek!!!!:

Hmm, that must have been hard on you Jerushah Marie Sunshine Sphere Jardine-Hettiaratchi :p

Cujo said:
One of my brothers is a civil servant. He collects odd names. This is one of his favourites.

Lilly Fatima Cheeseman

Cujo

I amuse myself in the same way whilst at work. I can't lay hands on my list(s) at the moment, but I've just come across a Miss Sionedgwenllian Robert. What a fantastic name ! (Welsh presumably).

PS. How about " Nimrod Funk"??

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilmorgan/1894/funk.htm

There's some bloke in the British Touring Cars Championship who changed his name to something like B&Q Warehouse for sponsorship purposes.

There was also a couple on TV in the early 90s who named their daughter Pebbles after the Flintstones character.

names

elona as some of you know is my real name and its a pain in the neck having an unusual name nobody gets is right and i spend alot of time being called " there" as in "hello ( pause while they think....nope cant remember it...) there"

i will get my revenge on my parents by calling my children oakes and tuppence. oakes after oakes ames an ethnobiologist and tuppence after my grandfathers dog.... well then its a family name..

my brother was nearly called austin seven after the car my parents have real problems naming children

Reminds me of that English rugby played called Austin Healey :)

I think the name recorded in the 1980's was "Depressed Cupboard Cheesecake" rather than "Cardboard". I hope the child was subsequently taken away by social services !

...I remember some friends of my Mum & Dad had kids called Royal and Strange... and thier last name was Savage !

I also know a chap whose friend is called Katman Dooley... plus another hippy family whose kids names are Sky, Days and Blue ..

Do you remember that story reported in FT about the Japanese parents who called thier baby 'Beautiful Flower Plucked From Hairy Bottom' ?? The story goes that this was found to be offensive by the local registrar and the couple were told to call the baby something else.... So guess what they called him ?? Yes... 'Something Else' !! I thought that was very funny - not for the baby though !

Talking of which as I mentioned earlier my first name is Jerushah Marie Sunshine Sphere, and my partner and I are expecting a baby in March... My partner's name is Kaushika and we're thinking we might now call the baby something like John, Jane or Janet etc. etc just to be rebels !! ??

What d'you think ??;)

Haarp

There was a girl in our school called Rain and a bloke called Blue. Not that weird but i think Rain is quite a nice name. (The girl was very attractive)

Jerushah Marie, I agree entirely, you might call your child something dignified with perhaps a very slightly exotic middle name.

I think it's wrong to saddle babies with bizarre names. The poor lambs have to live with them (as you know!) and it's unfair to expect kids to have to justify their parents' stupidity in later life.

My good friend Angela, a white witch, and her lovely partner are expecting about now. Their selected name is Danielle or Daniel, depending on the sex. No need for mad occult names, they say, this child is a witch whatever name we choose.

(Just remembered- there's a Korean concert pianist whose name always made my ex husband's face light up- a Mr. Dong Suk.)

I have 4 kids with only slightly unusual names and they're all happy in their skins.

Local surnames inclue Housekeeper and Nipple. Worked with someone named Happy Sahni (pronounced 'sunny'), and another named Richard Cox (poor guy). When I lived outside Wash. DC, the phone book had plenty of Butts, and even a Buttolph. Just imagine if any of these people marry each other.

I chose my new name a long time ago. If I change my name officially, it will be Paddleboats Belvedere Bartokowitz. It has a nice ring to it.

The dining hall at my college (Reisner Hall) had a picture of the woman whom it was named after. It was an ancient looking woman and her full named was engraved on a plate at the bottom: "Marion Blood Reisner". ISYN.

Oh, I should probably relate an experience I had once. While taking a walk, I noticed one of those little 'so-and-so for schoolboard' signs in someone's lawn. The name was Sharon Cox. I looked at it a few times and decided it had to be a hoax. I went back to steal the sign a few days later but it had gone...

I knew a chap called Bill Pink, which is not particularly strange. However, his wife's name was Dawn... Sounded like a shade of lipstick!

Another thing parents should beware of is initials. Not many people want TIT or SAD (or worse) on their briefcase.

Back