• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

Roddy Woomble is the lead singer of indie rock band Idlewild. Close, but no cigar (or whatever Wombles' vice is).

One of my daughters is named Vienna.

When she was younger and I was asked her name, people always used to presume she was called Fiona and I just had a very very posh accent (I live in Yorkshire and have a southern accent, it's practically the same as being posh). Another daughter is called Riyadh, which really sorts out the geographically educated from the ...err...not, who tend to think it's Welsh.

When she was younger and I was asked her name, people always used to presume she was called Fiona and I just had a very very posh accent (I live in Yorkshire and have a southern accent, it's practically the same as being posh). Another daughter is called Riyadh, which really sorts out the geographically educated from the ...err...not, who tend to think it's Welsh.
Place of conceiving? Something the Beckhams got up to if memory serves me right.

Reviewing document today, came across a Dr Womble.
In the '70s when the Wombles were all the go there was a Yorkshire family called Womble who weren't keen. Schoolmates would taunt the Womble kids by singing 'Underground, overground, Wombling free, the Wombles of Huddersfield, common are we!'

This came to the attention of the BBC who then broadcast a radio 1 show, possibly the Breakfast edition, from the Womble household. The idea was to make everyone soooo jealous. The occasion was announced and fanfared a couple of weeks in advance so everyone knew it was coming.

I heard it on t'wireless on the day, seemed like fun.

It's laughable that people mispronounce Leone as well.:loopy:

Reviewing document today, came across a Dr Womble.
I once had call to translate a text mentioning Old Great Bulgaria. No, I'd never heard of it before, either, so I did the typical translator's cheat of consulting Wikipedia for the idiot's guide. The editors of that page have seen fit to include a disambiguation link to Great Uncle Bulgaria. That discovery ruined any chance I had left of producing useful work that morning.

My wife and I were listening to our local radio station in the car when driving to work last week as we advertise on it and were hoping to hear our latest ad.
Each morning there's a segment where people who are celebrating their birthdays can get an online 'congratulations' from family members or friends. There's usually only two or three Happy Birthday mentions to keep the segment short but what stood out this particular morning were the Birthday wishes being sent out to a young girl named 'Kahlua', from her mum and dad but also her brothers 'Bailey' & 'Jack'.
I said to my wife, ''I wonder if her parents are big drinkers or if it was just a piss take sent in by someone?''
Potential sibling could be Brandy, Sherry...Tia. The list goes on.

Last edited:
I had the misfortune to have a surname at birth that was unusual, apart from in Cornwall, and the points of reference in the 1970s and 80s were a well-known comedic soap-opera character who wore a distinctive type of headgear and a daft, sexist entertainer. My school days were a bugger!

A virtual Christmas kiss to anyone who PMs me with the correct name :hapdan:

My mother had friends--regular nice country gals from West Virginia, all of them, including her--who were named Melbadell, Belice and Viuka (pronounced Vi-YOO-ka).
I like different names. It forces people out of their comfort zones. Though the silly spelling of common names irks me. That is not being different, it's just following everyone else.

I like different names. It forces people out of their comfort zones.

l disagree.

Weird names - to me - are the equivalent of those drips who have zero personality, but “make up for it” by wearing daft hats. Except that you’re inflicting it on a helpless third party. The only way it “forces me out of my comfort zone”, is by compelling me to bite my tongue bloody until l can break contact with the victim.

lf you want to give something a hamster name, buy a hamster.

maximus otter

I had the misfortune to have a surname at birth that was unusual, apart from in Cornwall, and the points of reference in the 1970s and 80s were a well-known comedic soap-opera character who wore a distinctive type of headgear and a daft, sexist entertainer. My school days were a bugger!

A virtual Christmas kiss to anyone who PMs me with the correct name :hapdan:

Hmmm. :thought: Bernard Manning and Bernard Youens who played Stan Ogden? He wore a Christmas cracker hat in one episode.

"Bernard", "Bernie", ""Be...

I'm close, aren't I?

don't tell me, I'll get it.

Hmmm. :thought: Bernard Manning and Bernard Youens who played Stan Ogden? He wore a Christmas cracker hat in one episode.

"Bernard", "Bernie", ""Be...

I'm close, aren't I?

don't tell me, I'll get it.

You're on the wrong track :)

‘Salmon Chaos': Taiwan asks people to stop changing their name to get free sushi

A top Taiwanese official issued a plea on Thursday for people to stop changing their name to "salmon" after dozens made the unusual move to take advantage of a restaurant promotion.

TELEMMGLPICT000003519860_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RWtT0gK_6EfZT336f62EI5U.jpeg

In a phenomenon that has been dubbed "Salmon Chaos" by local media, around 150 mostly young people flocked to government offices in recent days to officially register a change in their name.

The cause of this sudden enthusiasm was a chain of sushi restaurants.

Under the two day promotion which ended Thursday, any customer whose ID card contained "Gui Yu" - the Chinese characters for salmon - would be entitled to an all-you-can-eat sushi meal along with five friends.

"This kind of name-change not only wastes time but causes unnecessary paperwork," deputy interior minister Chen Tsung-yen told reporters as he urged the public to "cherish administrative resources".

young-chinese-man-is-eating-sushi_99043-1342.jpg

Local media ran interviews with people who took advantage of the promotion.

"I just changed my name this morning to add the characters 'Bao Cheng Gui Yu' and we already ate more than Tw$7,000 ($235)," a college student surnamed Ma told TVBS news channel in southern Kaohsiung city.

Roughly translated, Ma's new moniker means: "Explosive Good Looking Salmon".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...iwan-government-steps-hundreds-people-change/

maximus otter

I thought there was a thread for names suitable to jobs but I cannot find it sadly
This has entertained me this morning (the names that is, not the fact the store is facing a loss)
https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blo...-new-finance-boss-as-it-swings-to-14-6m-loss/
Amid the sales decline, Shoe Zone has drafted in Terry Boot to replace Peter Foot as its new finance director with immediate effect.
This thread? Nominative determinism.
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/nominative-determinism.28927/page-16

Back