• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

‘Salmon Chaos': Taiwan asks people to stop changing their name to get free sushi

A top Taiwanese official issued a plea on Thursday for people to stop changing their name to "salmon" after dozens made the unusual move to take advantage of a restaurant promotion. ...

"This kind of name-change not only wastes time but causes unnecessary paperwork," deputy interior minister Chen Tsung-yen told reporters as he urged the public to "cherish administrative resources".

The unnecessary administrative burden for all these name changes isn't the only reason Taiwanese officials are cautioning people against changing their name to "salmon." ...

The ministry urged residents not to change their names for the promotion, pointing out that the Name Act only allows a person to change their name three times -- meaning some of those who change their names for the promotion could be stuck with the name for the rest of their lives.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...tion-name-change-salmon-Taiwan/5841616094491/

The incident prompted the Ministry of the Interior (MOI) to remind the public on Wednesday (March 17) that a person can only change their name three times and that a miscalculation will result in the name becoming permanent. ...

The MOI warned on Facebook that based on an interpretation by the Constitutional Court and the regulations of the Name Act, citizens can apply to change their names only three times.

FULL STORY: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4153247

And ... Sure enough - one young man changed his given name to "Salmon Dream" for the sake of the sushi promotion, only to learn he'd now used up his allotted 3 name changes. According to a lawyer there's a loophole, but it would require an elder and relatively close relative to change his / her name to "Salmon Dream" as well (and still have yet another allotted name change to burn after that). What are the odds?
Taiwanese man horrified to learn new name 'Salmon Dream' is permanent

Man could be allowed to change his name again if relative also changes name to 'Salmon Dream'

Amid the "salmon chaos" that is gripping Taiwan, a Taiwanese man changed his name to "Salmon Dream" only to later realize it was his last allowable name change and would be permanent. ...

Eager to get his share of free sushi, a student surnamed Chang (張) at the Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine at China Medical University legally changed his name to "Chang Salmon Dream." However, he soon faced a nightmare scenario when he received his new ID card and was informed by the household registration office that he had reached the maximum quota of three name changes and would not be allowed to change his name again, reported UDN.

When he realized that he would not be able to undo the name change, he was horrified. Since he had changed his name without first notifying his parents, he said he did not want them to know for the time being.

On Thursday (March 18), attorney Lin Chih-chun (林智群) said on his Facebook page that he has often had to come up with creative solutions for clients stuck in such conundrums. Lin pointed out that Article 9, Item 2 of the Name Act (姓名條例) states that a person may change their name if they have "the exact same given name as an elder relative within three degrees of kinship."

Therefore, Lin postulated that if Chang's father or another close relative changes their name to "Salmon Dream," Chang will then have another opportunity to change his name. This assumes, of course, that the relative has not exceeded their quota of name changes or has only one left. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4154988

The first one's not weird, but amusing. No doubt he finds it a good way of passively promoting brand awareness. Rupert Bear is a solicitor in Nottingham, UK. I know this is genuine because I spent most of my life in Nottingham and have walked past his office, and I occasionally had to deal with him when I was an insurance negotiator.
family-law-about-us.jpg

I also used to deal with medical reports from this guy, who I think was not yet a professor at the time. He was known to me and my colleagues as "Doctor Huge Cock".
Screenshot 2021-03-20 at 10.39.48.png

This Indonesian infant was formally named for his father's workplace - Statistical Information Communication Office.

Bets on whether and when this child's story will require an update over in the "They Fuck You Up, Your Mum & Dad" thread are being accepted in the Troll's Head.
Indonesian Man Names His Son After His Workplace

An Indonesian man loves his workplace so much that he has named his son after it. His 5-month-old boy’s name is Statistical Information Communication Office…

Even before he got married, Samet Wahyudi knew that if he ever had a son, he wanted to name him after the department he worked in as a civil servant. He made that very clear to his fiancé before they got married, and she accepted his condition. Their first child was a girl, so Samet agreed on a more conventional name for her, but when his wife, Linda, gave birth to their second child, a boy, in December of last year, he knew exactly what his name would be – Statistical Information Communication Office. ...

Indonesian media reported on the child’s unusual name earlier this month, after checking the country’s name registration database. ...

Statistical Information Communication Office will probably have a tough time introducing himself with his full name, which is why his parents have already chosen a nickname for him, Dinko. Asked if he has given any thought to how his son will feel about his name when he grows up, the Indonesian civil servant said that he is sure the boy will get used to it eventually. ...
FULL STORY (With Confirming Photo):
https://www.odditycentral.com/news/indonesian-man-names-his-son-after-his-workplace.html#more-72988

I bet his older sister is happy she isn't a boy. Could any of his nicknames and proper name be worse? Unfortunately, I can say "yes" to that:oops:

I noticed a VERY unfortunate name while reading a magazine. It is probably not an uncommon one, however - would you really like to have a consultation with Dr Shipman? Luckily she's a dermatologist but I bet still gives people a jolt when they get the letter through!

One of my daughters is named Vienna.

When she was younger and I was asked her name, people always used to presume she was called Fiona and I just had a very very posh accent (I live in Yorkshire and have a southern accent, it's practically the same as being posh). Another daughter is called Riyadh, which really sorts out the geographically educated from the ...err...not, who tend to think it's Welsh.

Norwich parish baptismal registers, 1853 - one Vienna Rachel Smith. :)

I noticed a VERY unfortunate name while reading a magazine. It is probably not an uncommon one, however - would you really like to have a consultation with Dr Shipman? Luckily she's a dermatologist but I bet still gives people a jolt when they get the letter through!
Escette was at university with a pair of posh ladies, twins, who were medical students called (yup) Shipman.

This amused them hugely and they would giggle and say 'Doctor Shipman AT YOUR SERVICE!' :chuckle:

Affable and jolly, they would mock their younger brother mercilessly if they thought he was acting too swanky with 'Oh, jolly hockey sticks!'

Last edited:
Norwich parish baptismal registers, 1853 - one Vienna Rachel Smith. :)
I have heard anecdotal evidence of other Viennas out there. A friend, who's a nurse, said she nursed a little girl called Vienna back in the '80's. My daughter has, however, never met another one. I'm slightly surprised it's not more common, as you say, Florence is a perfectly acceptable name. All it will take is for an Influencer called Vienna to hit Tik-Tok singing some ridiculous song and suddenly every second baby girl born will be called Vienna.

My daughter will be ahead of the curve though.

I have heard anecdotal evidence of other Viennas out there. A friend, who's a nurse, said she nursed a little girl called Vienna back in the '80's. My daughter has, however, never met another one. I'm slightly surprised it's not more common, as you say, Florence is a perfectly acceptable name. ...
The given name Vienna had a resurgence in the USA about a decade ago.
Vienna was used in the US in 1882 for 5 baby girls, and it wasn't heard from again until 1899. Its usage remained in the single and double digits until 2007 when there were 107 births for the year. Now, in 2012 there were 214 births which puts Vienna at #1141.
http://www.theartofnaming.com/2013/08/girl-name-of-week-vienna.html

In American usage Social Security records indicate Vienna gained popularity since 2007 and peaked in 2019.
For 2020, the number of births with name Vienna is 332, which represents 0.019 percent of total female births in 2020.

The year when the name Vienna was most popular is 2019. In that year, the number of births is 370, which represents 0.020 percent of total female births in 2019.
https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi

With the upsurge in fashionability of chav-barrelling surnames, and Christian names based on the location of conception, how long can it be before l encounter my first “Up Against the Skip in Lidl’s Car Park Smiff-Braahn”?

Alternatively, for the more technically-minded, “slurs.this.shark Johnson”.

maximus otter

I was at school with a lovely girl called Venetia back in the 60s.
There can't have been many people with that name in the UK. Do a search, and most of the results will be from the USA.

Back