• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

But loads of people hate their names. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the name, per se, just that the namee doesn't like it.

Around here, loads of people seem to be giving birth to their great grandparents. There's little, Ava, Ada, Nellie, Archie, etc etc. I wonder what those children will think of their names later in life? I was particularly o_O about Nellie.... She's currently a couple of weeks old, but I'd be willing to bet she's dropped down to 'Ellie' by the time she's sixteen.
What amazes me is people who give their kids the name Junior. It's a decent enough name for a kid, but it's going to sound bloody ridiculous when they're 50.

What amazes me is people who give their kids the name Junior. It's a decent enough name for a kid, but it's going to sound bloody ridiculous when they're 50.
Isn't that mostly an American trait? I don't know one single person who's called Junior - except in cases where Dad is called John and the son is named after him and known as 'Junior', until Dad dies, whereupon he's just 'John' and is known as John to everyone other than immediate family.

Example - Junior Giscombe:
junior-giscombe_by_david-s-james_06.jpg

From Twitter:
Nigel is officially extinct as a baby name.
@ONS has released full 2020 baby names data. There were 189 boys called Kylo, 142 called Kacper, 86 called Aadam, 64 called Cai. Not a single* Nigel

Don't know if this is true. But funny:
"15 boys were called Lucifer last year.
Lucifer is now a more popular boy's name than Barry (8), Trevor (8), Stuart (7), Gordon (7), Keith (5), Piers (4) and Nigel (0)"

Also, " Carol is officially extinct as a girls name. Not a single (same caveat) Carol was registered in 2020."

Last edited:
From Twitter:
Nigel is officially extinct as a baby name.
@ONS has released full 2020 baby names data. There were 189 boys called Kylo, 142 called Kacper, 86 called Aadam, 64 called Cai. Not a single* Nigel

Don't know if this is true. But funny:
"15 boys were called Lucifer last year.
Lucifer is now a more popular boy's name than Barry (8), Trevor (8), Stuart (7), Gordon (7), Keith (5), Piers (4) and Nigel (0)"
XTC have plans

Isn't that mostly an American trait? I don't know one single person who's called Junior - except in cases where Dad is called John and the son is named after him and known as 'Junior', until Dad dies, whereupon he's just 'John' and is known as John to everyone other than immediate family.

Here in the U.S. I've noticed it's almost exclusively people of Caribbean origin who are named Junior.

On the subject of Jr, I only found out yesterday that Michel Roux Jr, was the son of Albert Roux and not Michel Roux Snr

In American popular usage ...

'Junior' can be either a given name or a nickname. The given version is a fixed element of the person's legal name.

The nickname doesn't count as a legal name, but it may be informally - and even formally - cited / included to differentiate a given person from others with similar legal names.

It can also appear as a suffix ('Jr.') to designate a person given the same full name as his / her parent. This usage has an etiquette attached to it, but I don't think many folks strictly follow its tenets nowadays. For example, under strict / old-school etiquette rules 'Jr.' should only be attached to the name of a child whose parent is identically named. A child named identically to any other relative (e.g., uncle, etc.) would be given the suffix 'II' instead (under strict etiquette).

Similar to the nickname, this suffix designation is mainly cited to differentiate among people with identical names. I don't recall it having any legal force or effect other than personal identification.

In rare cases, the 'Jr.' and 'II' (etc.) suffixes are applied to females.

I had a student named Junior in my class but I can't for the life of me remember what his father's name was. This was at a behavioral school and I never met his parents.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention that Junior is one of the characters in the Duolingo language learning app! Junior's dad's name is Eddy.

Attachments

• Duolingo_junior.png
    Duolingo_junior.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 6
That's the problem with famous people, they all lie about their names, Lady Gaga isn't her real name either, she's not even a member of the House of Lords :p
Even Gordon Brown changed his name, he's really James Brown :hapdan:
.. and The Stranglers wrote that song called Gordon Brown .. texture like sun ..

Here in the U.S. I've noticed it's almost exclusively people of Caribbean origin who are named Junior.

Very much so. (South and Central American too.)

Junior Witter in his half England/half Jamaica trunks.

witter.jpg

Junior Murvin of "Police and Thieves" fame.

murvin.jpg

Junior Stanislas, Bournemouth football player

stan.jpg

Real names,

Junior Murvin - Murvin Junior Smith

Junior Stanislas - Felix Junior Stanislas

A couple more footballers

Junior Hoilett - David Wayne "Junior" Hoilett

Junior Firpo - Héctor Junior Firpo Adames

Junior Witter is his real name

I heard a good 'fake' name yesterday.
I might even use it if I get a chance.

Dan Gleebals.

I heard a good 'fake' name yesterday.
I might even use it if I get a chance.

Dan Gleebals.
I ran the Surname through my head first...Ok, I thought. Then, I paired the Christian name with the Surname...and laughed out aloud for 5 seconds or so --Goodone Trevp.

(I'm figuring that it's okay to post in the 'weird personal names' thread as I expect that someone with the name actually exists)
Another 'fake' name I like to use, given the opportunity is;

Drew Peacock

Back