• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Psychological Thing Re: Big/Small

Me, I even had it the other night - shame googling it doesn't come up with much :(

If it's extremly rare to suffer it in adulthood then why are there 3 of us suffering from it?

In all fairness that was the first time it had happened in about 18 months or so... The Hypnogogic voices and the running thru mud are all still quite frequent tho :( ( as discussed in another thread )

That'll be all that coffee you down in the trolls head :)
Seriously tho can you get by on only 4 hours a night? I can do that for a day or three then i need to crash for about a day!!
Well about 14-15 hours anyway, guess i'm lucky i can do that as i work a 3 nights on 3 nights off shift pattern.
I start seeing things big time from the corner of my eye if i don't
:eek!!!!:

I don't really get the big small thing, but I get a onesness and apart feeling alot.

When I do acid, I always feel like I can see and understand everything, then I forget it and grasp as I try to remember the thing that connected it all. But I am left with that feeling of how everything fits together and can be understood, in a larger sense than simpley one existance or life. But then when entirely sober I get that apartness. Like, I am a lone consciousness trapped behind eyes that are a very limited way of seeing things. I feel as if the world is behind a curtiain, and everything in it is a seen "through a glass, darkly". I am seperated, my consciousness is isolated from all others as a result the world is far from me. I feel subjective as if my vision of the world, my reality is unsubstantiated.

It is a stark contrast and one that is very unsettlling when I experience the partness, it can be very difficult to re-engage the world after a bout of this. Emotional attachments are difficult as there seems to be no reason to beleive that things are the way they seem.

Eventually, I slip back into this body, as it were, like I move closer to the world and it seems less subjective, closer. A very odd and unnerving experience.

I don't know of any particular pattern to this kind of thing.

Does this sound remotely similar?

LD

lorddrakul said:
When I do acid, I always feel like I can see and understand everything, then I forget it and grasp as I try to remember the thing that connected it all. But I am left with that feeling of how everything fits together and can be understood, in a larger sense than simpley one existance or life.
Blimey, that's exactly what it feels like to me; a kind of universe mind where I seem to understand everything and see everything, but like you said after a few minutes it just seems to evaporate, and then I'm left feeling really empty, but then privilaged to have the experience anyway.

BTW, for me I do it without using, and I think I mentioned above that I go into a meditative related trance of some sort, shallow breathing and concentrating on my finger-tips type thing.

I have had less intense version of the oneness feeling while meditating also.

An interesting technique I heard of once was to concentrate on the noise in your ears, be it blood or pulse, or in my case, tinnitus.

This gives you a very even plane to start from.

However, the apart feeling seems to be very different. I cannot reconcile it with the oneness feeling at all as the oneness feeling always leaves me with a sense of well being where as the aprt feeling always leave me unnerved for several days afterward.

I've never been able to understand the aprtness until I read Kafka and Camus and started to get the idea that some people have this kind of feeling all the time, not just in bouts.

I'm glad someone else has some sort of idea of what I am talking about here.

LD

Scott Bainbridge said:
Seriously tho can you get by on only 4 hours a night
I have to be up and outof bed at 5 in the morning and most nights I'm not off the board until midnight. I have been login off earlier lately but that has been due to a cold.(just couldn't be bothered)

We now have a count of 5 people who sufferthis in adulthood.

Perhaps we ARe a little weird on this board.

Not that I hadn't noticed that anyway...

This thread is clearly not about macropsia then, having googled for it, it's clearly a visual disturbance of some kind, whereas what we were on about is a "sense", whilst lying in bed with eyes shut. It's more akin to the sense of touch than sight.
Nice try, but the mystery remains.

No, I think you'll find that relying on Google isn't always the best policy when finding reliable information.

Macro/Micro-psia is not just to do with the eyes (if at all), it is the improper fuctioning of the frontal lobes. This is why it is commonly associated with tiredness and anxiety. Given that the back of the eye is very closely linked to the brain, confusion may have arisen.

PS
It could be argued that my replies are also a bad source of reliable info, but I try my best.

Onto page 8.

jamesveldon said:
We now have a count of 5 people who sufferthis in adulthood.

Count me in - that's six people. Plus borgqueen, who started the thread and her friend Steve.

My Big/small experiences

Firstly I might as well say now, that as a 26 yr old I still get these experiences that everybody in this thread is talking about, but only very occasionally and to a very lessened extent, but I seemed to have it far worse at about the age of 10-12 which involved recurring dreams and noises in my head.

it always seemed to occur in the middle of the night (2-4 AM ish) and started with that horrible big/small feeling, usually with my hand gripping the duvet and not being able to discern its size(I would usually be partially awake at this point, but my eyes would be shut) then I'd see something like an enormous object(planet like) but curiously the surface of this thing would be really weird like a cross between a computer monitor and a jewel or diamond. then I would rush towards it(against my own will!) and then 'land' on the surface of it, which was a perfectly flat plain looking almost exactly like the start up screen of a Commodore 64(!) At times random detritus would be scattered quite densely over this blue plain- washing machines, tables, petrified trees, and curiously, dented bicycle mudguards. Children seemed to be playing in this junk and making a lot of noise which I remember was very annoying. Then I would hear voices. (Can I just say at this point I have NEVER heard voices in my head at any other time in my life than these dreams) There were two voices one soothing and calming, the other aggressive and swearing, shouting insults - every word these voices said I understood perfectly clearly during the dream, but upon awakening I could remember almost nothing, the sound of their voices always had an echo on them that seemed to amplify with each repeat building up and oscillating over and over.

There were other random elements that occured semi frequently in these dreams one was these waving or writhing lines in the sky made of hair, or chains of some kind, another one was the sighting of a tenement like block of flats just sat on this surface, the oddest though was a doorway of some kind on a short stubby tower made of white marblelike material, which opened to reveal a strange creature that was apparently invisible apart from the white nun like outfit it was wearing. this 'thing' was called Mary(I'm an atheist)and a voice announced it was her 100th birthday(i'm confused too)(if people are interested I'll draw pictures of these this and attach them to another post) when I would slowly return to consciousness I would always feel the huge grey clay block hanging over my body and would be almost pushing myself away.

These dreams were unpleasant and upsetting but never terrifying or nightmarish. I've always been able to remember my dreams really well, with a real visual clarity, and I've always had really weird vivid dreams, and occasionally had premonitive ones also. I don't consider myself a particularly unusual person, and I know I don't suffer from mental problems either, I'm just wondering what anybody else could make of this.

Re: My Big/small experiences

Revurverox said:
I seemed to have it far worse at about the age of 10-12 which involved recurring dreams and noises in my head.

While I've never had the big/small thing as people here have described (the earlier thing I posted about on this thread was obviously something quite different), I did go through a couple of phases in childhood of having a very odd recurring dream. (Is this a common thing with children, I wonder?) Anyway, I posted about that elsewhere.

Revurverox said:
(if people are interested I'll draw pictures of these this and attach them to another post)

I'd be curious to see a picture of it.

first image

This is a bit of a test run so this jpg may be too big or too small, i've just(unskilfully) sketched this now, this is the thing that was called mary, just in black and white for now, but I might have a proper stab at drawing this properly and colouring it as well.(saying that it wouldnt be very colourful anyway, just white blue and grey.

I understand there is a religious overtone to this image, and trust me, as a child I was rarely taken to church and certainly did not have christianity rammed down my throat, and now I am an atheist.

Big/small thing-

My bro once had to deliver some metal gates so he flung them into the back of a van and set off up the motorway.

After a while, he noticed that the motorway had about a hundred lanes and was a mile wide, and his van had shrunk to the size of a matchbox.

Didn't seem right so he pulled over. Suddenly he felt a violent pain in his head and opened the window just in time to throw up.

When he felt better he noticed a weird smell coming from the back of the van.

He soon found that he'd dropped the gates onto an aerosol can, puncturing it and freeing the propellant inside which had then gassed him!

He's a lot more careful now.

Just want to add my name to the list of those who had the big/small dream thing. I am 30 and can remember these dreams (really nighmares, actually) from 25 years or so ago. I especially remember seeing numbers following each other as if they were on a "conveyer belt" going from right to left. They would be really big, but suddenly a really tiny number would come along - and I would really freak out - I remember having to be totally calmed down by my mum and dad. I must have had at least 10 of these nightmares when I was a kid, but have never had them since - either those particular ones, or any other nightmare.

I am really amazed to find this thread here, and that others seem to have had exactly the same kind of nightmare as I had - a nightmare I have never mentioned or discussed with anyone before.

YES!

the numbers thing: my personal big/small intense-immovable thought thing was of an abacus on the wall opposite my bed, and it only had one bar.
the beads would be huge on the left but gradually more would be added from the right, getting smaller and smaller, but the smaller they got, the more "presence" they had, and the more dread i felt, but i just couldn't stop thinking of it.
this thread has truly been one of those "wow!" moments, after years of explaining to my friends that i'm haunted by a giant abacus :)

it still happens from time to time, most often when i'm i'll. i'm 18.
and i do think it's something The Magazine should take a look at!

Not so much the big/small thing, but I do have a complex about huge numbers of things that are incomplete in some way.

For example, a field full of billions of tiny snail shells, each with a tiny little crack in the edge. I once in the middle of the night thought that my bathroom was filled with an innumerable number of little vials (the kind eye drops come in) each with one or two drops of a different chemical inside.

I'm a mathematics major, and at parties and stuff I'll often blow people's minds by explaining infinite concepts to them. For example, there are just as many odd numbers as there are integers. There are just as many positive integers as there are negative or positive fractions. There are an infinity of integers, but there are MORE real numbers (i.e. decimals) between 0 and 1 as there are integers on the whole number line. The proofs of these are elementary, and within the grasp of most laymen, and it's very entertaining to watch people's minds be blown by these facts.

Another very disturbing mathematical fact re: big/small:

Any sphere can be cut into no fewer than 5 pieces in such a way that the pieces can be reassembled into two spheres the same size as the first. Any sphere can be cut into 5 pieces and reassembled into a sphere of any size; for example, you could cut a pea into 5 parts, move them around, and put them back together to make a sphere (with no holes) as big as the Earth, or vice versa. The proof of this is beyond the scope of "everyday" mathematics, but it's not all that hard to explain. Basically, if you accept that, given a group of any number of objects, you can always pick one of them, you must believe that all objects are equidecomposible.

lorddrakul said:
When I do acid, I always feel like I can see and understand everything, then I forget it and grasp as I try to remember the thing that connected it all. But I am left with that feeling of how everything fits together and can be understood, in a larger sense than simpley one existance or life.

Er, not to belittle anyone's experience, but doesn't everyone get this when they do acid? I did a lot in my teens with a group of friends and achieving this kind of.. universal understanding happened so often that we began referring to infinity as "finty".

To be honest, I think it's because LSD expands and slows down thought processes, so basic concepts, ideas and experiences can seem massively complex and drawn out, and because -- for the most part -- people who do acid seem to be more into "spacey" thinking. Another friend did acid for the first time while reading Lord of the Rings alone in her room one night (don't ask) and became very, very confused for a long time...

Orbyn, how about if you have never done acid?

Caroline said:
Orbyn, how about if you have never done acid?

Er, sorry?

My comment was concerning the bit I quoted directly, not the subject of the entire thread, btw.

As I mentioned previously on this thread, I have experienced the big/small/infinity thing myself and don't attribute it to the after-effects of LSD, mainly because I didn't actually take it as a child.

Thank you for clarifying things there Orbyn. I was a little confused there for a moment.

Caroline said:
Thank you for clarifying things there Orbyn. I was a little confused there for a moment.

must be the dodgy acid you took

Wow! I remember this from my childhood and was just thinking about it the other day. I knew I wasn't the only one who experienced these sensations but I never knew so many others had.

For me it was like scale had gone completely out of the window, and it was replaced by hyper-sensitive touch. Could never explain it properly! Sort of like feeling something miniscule with very large hands and feeling every microscopic detail.

i posted this ages ago on another thread but its still quite relevant i think

"I to can remember the feeling of being very distant, like being in a very big void and not seeing the perimeter I guess, and the feeling of being big. Both feelings are difficult to describe but I still have them now (im 28), I quite like it to be honest and i just think its your Conscious handing the wheel over to the sub-Conscious. Also it was always accompanied with a felling of a constant and this may sound strange but if I see a tap running slowly (just before you turn it off) it gets to a point where the water doesn’t ripple or move it just flows at a constant and looks like its frozen this image always remind me of my void feeling."

since then ive also noticed a similar feeling, when in bed with my better half Sarah it feels like there is a missive distance (gap not emotional) between the two of us and my arms feel like they are tiny, so small that one arm cant touch the other. Nuts

Back