• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chastity Belts

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Obviously it would!!

Posted 2/6/2004 11:46 AM Updated 2/6/2004 11:48 AM

Woman's chastity belt set off airport security alarm

ATHENS (AFP) — When a 40-year old British woman set off a metal detector alarm at Athens airport, bemused security staff found that it was caused by a chastity belt she was wearing, officials said Friday, confirming a press report.

"It happened a few days before Christmas. The metal detector went off and after a further check we found out she was wearing a chastity belt," airport police official Dimitris Tzouvaras told AFP, confirming a report in the daily newspaper To Vima.

"The woman was allowed to fly on to London on the pilot's responsibility," Tzouvaras added.

According to the press report, the woman told police officers her husband had forced her to put on the belt to make sure she had no extra-marital affair during a brief visit to Greece.

Tzouvaras did not comment on that report.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2004-02-06-chastity-belt_x.htm

I know that I'm pretty clueless, but I had no idea that chastity belts were still in use or manufactured. Has the design been updated or new technology implemented, because otherwise wouldn't it be relatively easier to break into using recent technology?

I must admit that this subject both horrifies and fascinates me.

There's nothing like a relationship built on mutual respect and trust.

And that's nothing like...

They are still made, mostly for the fetish market. There used to be a surplus store in Canberra that, amongst its collections of "Genuine Replica Swords" and "Authentic Plate Armour" included chastity belts. I spent ages trying to work out how you were supposed to avoid getting a nasty infection.

When they said it was an Army Surplus store, I didn't realise it included surplus equipment from the Crusades.

IIRC the only ones I've seen archeologically are later fakes for the tourist market.

Well, I suppose that the woman in question could have been part of a sub-dom relationship and not merely a chattel of a sad, insecure control freak.

Sorry to go on, but SD, does that mean that you've never SEEN a real ( by which I mean one that was used for locking up a woman's body against her will)belt or that you've never come across reports of them. What I'm trying to say is are they like the "droite de seigneur" - repeated as fact, but with little evidence to back it up? It just seems that a chastity belt, made of metal and enclosing all the sexual orifices would be really impractical. I may sound like a twelve year old, but how would she poo? Were there "flaps" to open? It just seems an enormous hassle compared to just having a trusted companion accompany her everywhere.

I would google it, but I'm at work and we get regularly checked. I don't want to over excite our IT boys.:rolleyes:

The ones I've seen, which as SD has said are modern fakes, involved not so much a total obstruction of the areas, but a sort of restriction.

That is, there are apertures, but very small ones.

Which is kind of disgusting, and hence my earlier ponderings on the matter.

You're right Anome, even with small holes they're hardly sensible* for long term use. There must be easier (and less messy) ways of guarding your genetic legacy.

* Yeah, I know. As if anyone who seriously believes that a chastity belt is the way forward is sensible. :rolleyes:

fully agree with anome's description.

The ones I've met have been in museum collections, unprivenanced or firmly provenanced to victorian tourism and fetishes.

from a site on them:
"Chastity belts are rare; many collectors are eager to possess a genuine one. Sir James Mann, Master of the Armouries at the Tower of London, managed to purchase one shortly before his death in 1962. It cost him around £350 and appeared to date from the early seventeenth century.
However, experts at the Tower have decided that it is a fake and sent it for sale at Christie's in March 1974. A spokesman declared that "It does not seem strong enough for its purpose." "

I was goingt o suggestthe tower of london as they have some very unsorted and bokers collections. Maybe that should be /had/...

Kath

Cider said:
You're right Anome, even with small holes they're hardly sensible* for long term use. There must be easier (and less messy) ways of guarding your genetic legacy.

* Yeah, I know. As if anyone who seriously believes that a chastity belt is the way forward is sensible. :rolleyes:

You could have larger holes but with a serrated edge. :wince:

Min, please always be my friend and never ever my enemy!

:rofl:

Kath

you're on - the person who showed me said "little and often, keep the rhythm steady and try lying on your front if you have problems."

Mind you, I think it was actually the practical demo that made it click!

Kath

Some of the highest quality modern devices come from the English company Tollyboy, they're also sold as anti-rape devices but I can't say that I've ever met anyone who used one as such, and the BDSMers that I used to know rarely appeared to wear them for more than a few hours at clubs for showing off.

Nothing graphic on this site beyond stainless steel appliances...

anyone made the obviose Greek joke?... not only galls who may need guarding...

But you were hardly likely to be embarassed if the stable boy gets ravaged by the gamekeeper.

As I understood it, the belts were as much about protecting the bloodline from dilution as preventing infidelity - as BRF pointed out, they're effective anti-rape devices too.

Hang on a mo...

I may have missed something here, but if she was British, and was returning from a trip to Greece, presumably the arse of a husband would have had it fitted before she left the uk. So why didn't it set off any of our airport metal detectors when she flew out? Are our airport security too shy to blab to the tabloids that some poor woman was wearing a chastity belt.........
Or is it an example of another person slipping through the net?
Now if it was an exploding chastity belt then we would have been in trouble.:p

morning miss! you called for a locksmith? :D

cheeky said:
...Or is it an example of another person slipping through the net?
Now if it was an exploding chastity belt then we would have been in trouble.:p
There was a discussion here regarding the volume of semtex / C4 required to bring down a passenger jet. It could probably be concealed in a chastity belt quite easily (and locked in, in case the carrier had a change of heart:( ).

More likely not so much that it missed detection as that the outgoing security were a bit more sensible about the whole thing and didn't bat an eyelid, I'm sure they're accustomed enough by now to all sorts of genital piercings and the like setting the alarms off.

One time I was coming back from Amsterdam and security searched through one of my bags to find a metal vaginal retractor that I'd bought from a shop in the red light district, I guess it'd looked very strange on the x-ray. They were very polite and professional about the whole thing.

BRF:
There's a fine line between "being cosmopolitan" and "too much information"! :p

[edit:] I guess I should have known what I was in for from the thread's topic...

There's no such thing as too much information... speaking as the woman who didn't know the other meaning of muff...... :(

Kath

The male plastic chastity belt looks like It's mutilated his penis and balls! :eek:

The Piercing penis ones scare me! :shock:

That modern female chastity belt though, couldn't you manage to move It to the side?

HuffPost reports:

A woman in Italy walked into a fire station last week because she had lost the key to her chastity belt and needed help removing it, according to local newspaper Il Messaggero.

The 60-year-old initially told fire crews in the northern city of Padua that she needed help opening a padlock, The Telegraph reports. When firefighters asked the woman where she lived, thinking she'd locked herself out of her house, she lifted her sweater and showed them the iron device.

After cracking open the lock, they investigated whether the woman, whose name has not been released due to Italian privacy law, was a victim of domestic violence who may have been forced to wear the chastity belt.

But the woman told the firefighters she wore it because she was worried about the incidents of sexual violence she saw on the news, Italian news outlet TGCOM24 reported.

Neither the woman nor the fire department have further commented on the incident.

Did she need men in uniform to get her out of the belt, or did she just need to get out of the belt around men in uniform?

It's a bit worrying when random sexual violence drives people to medieval prophylactics.

"Firefighter gets woman out of chastity belt" is in the running for the most obvious headline ever.

Back