• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Synchronicity

A

Anonymous

Here's a case of weird synchronicity if ever I've experienced it -

Years ago Channel 4 I think it was, had a Fortean TV Weird Night where they hosted many fine programmes on a wide variety of subjects. A part of the evening involved 'ordinary' people recounting the strangeness of everyday occurances.

I was watching this programme with my wife of the time and this brought up many stories of strangeness that we'd experienced or heard of. My ex started to tell me about a dream that she'd recently had and which had clearly upset her a lot. She'd dreamt that she was sat in a cafe with an old friend of hers whom she hadn't seen for many years and that they were chatting away about what had happened in the intervening years over a cup of coffee. She dreamt that she's looked away for a moment and that when she looked up her friends face had been replaced by a black void of nothingness. At this point it all got a bit spooky and she became distraught, worrying that this dream meant that he friend had met with an accident and died or somesuch. I spent some time reassuring her with the usual 'it's only a dream and they rarely mean much etc....'.

We returned to watching the excellent programming on TV. More spookily still the very next set of interviews with 'ordinary' people who had experienced the paranormal featured a young man who recounted how he had been sat with an old friend in a cafe drinking coffee and chatting when he had looked away for a moment only to find when he looked back that his friends face..... you know the rest.

Could this be the first case of forteana arising from the Fortean Times itself?

I know that it freaks me out everytime I re-tell the story.

As for my ex-wife - she had a long history of brushes with the unexplainable and inexplicably left me for another man a couple of years later!

Go figure...... :D

Yeah, the woman is probably the biggest mystery in this story. But it is weird how not only they had the same dream, but that those things happened so close to each other.

coincidences

Coincidences happen all the time to me. They usually happen like this...........

Either I'll read/hear/see something for the first time, and then within a short space of time I'll read/hear/see it again, like it's suddenly become common place.

Just todat for example I watched CONTACT (film with Jodi Foster)
the film is abase on a story/concept by Carl Sagan (advisor for NASA) then this evening within one of the threads, someone quoted Carl Sagan .........mad or what!!!!!!!!!!!

Donk., I find that sort of thing happens to me too! Not necessarily things I've not heard of before. To quote a trivial example, I'd been telling my kids about Basil Brush (way before their time, of course and they'd never heard of him) and the next day we went into a card shop and there, in pride of place, was a huge display of Basil Brush toys (it seems they've rediscovered him for kids tv).

Carole

Like when you buy a new car, everyone and his brother seems to be driving the same car and in the same colour, in my case they all seem to be old men with hats, makes me want to flog the Mondeo and buy something sporty.:p

im ok on the car front ive only seen 1 other person driving a car like mine and it was me in a window hehehe
no seriously ive seen 1 other light metalic blue frontera (new shape) but im sure there are others out there
casio

. . . the roads seem to be populated by silver Vectras. Hey, this could turn into a thread about what kind of cars we all drive!

Carole

Several years back,Illuminet Press came out with a new edition of John Keel's"Operation Trojan Horse".Not having a very good copy myself,I went to my favorite book shop in Indianapolis and ordered a copy.After about a month and a half and no notification,I decided to go down and check on it.I live about 45 miles from Indianapolis,and on the way there I stopped in another town with a fairly decent second hand bookshop,where I quickly found a first edition copy of Keel's"Jadoo".I proceeded on to my destination,and discovered that the book had come in three weeks before,and someone had forgotten to inform me.I then went to another second hand shop in Indianapolis,where I found a first edition hardcover of"The Mothman Prophecies",also by Keel.This was lucky,as I've recently seen this book on the abebooks site for $145.00.I paid $5.00.I've always considered this a fortunate example of a minor piece of synchronicity.

I believe tha Keel mentions in one of his books about an actor (Sean Connery?) who was trying to locate a rare out-of-print book, only to find a copy on a park bench he happened to stop at? Familiar to anyone?

I think I have that in a book at home. It might have been Anthony Hopkins.

Of course it was. Thanks.

(Must have had Casio's story thread on the brain).

No, I'm sure it was a park bench. And the story is in a book of mind I've been searching for for ages and which has mysteriously disappeared . . . maybe it'll turn up on Hermes' kitchen table:rolleyes:

Carole

carole said:
No, I'm sure it was a park bench. And the story is in a book of mind I've been searching for for ages and which has mysteriously disappeared . . . maybe it'll turn up on Hermes' kitchen table:rolleyes:

Carole

I'm sure it's not your copy Carole, but I have it here somewhere. I'll try to find the ref. though it may take a little time.

Hermes

Operation: Trojan Horse, is my guess?

Coincidence?

This is the story of my sister and happened in Hannover/ Germany.
When she was 14, a bunch of photographers came to her school and chose her and some others to pose for an advert on a timetable that would be distributed throughout europe.
She was the main girl, holding a fountain pen (GEHA) and the rest stood cheering behind her (very naff).
Anyway, the promotion went ahead and that was the end of that.

Somewhere in Jugoslavia was a boy who got hold of one of these timetables. He fancied the girl in the front so much that he cut her out and put her oicture up in his room.
There she hang for years.
The boy grew up and decided to move to Germany to work there.
Meanwhile my sister got married and had a kid.
Unfortunately the marriage didn't last and she got divorced. In order to support her and her daughter, she took a job in her postoffice. There she met a nice man who listened and understood her.
They fell in love and got married.

Seven years after, they needed to move house and went to the attic to throw stuff out. Here her husband found a cardboard box with allsorts including a wad of these timetables that my sister had kept.
He held one up and said:"Oh, I had one of these. I used to fancy that girl in the front!"
My sister got pale and replied:"That's me..."
Well, I would say that he got the girl of his dreams!!!!
;)

shame it doesnt work like that for every one i had a piccy of gillian anderson on my wall for years and i wouldnt mind meeting her!!!!:)
casio

Re: Coincidence?

Originally posted by Dingo

Seven years after, they needed to move house and went to the attic to throw stuff out. Here her husband found a cardboard box with allsorts including a wad of these timetables that my sister had kept.
He held one up and said:"Oh, I had one of these. I used to fancy that girl in the front!"
My sister got pale and replied:"That's me..."
Well, I would say that he got the girl of his dreams!!!!
;)

All together now ..arhh......Pass the sick bag,

i did aswell but there was no way of posting without making it sound like i was taking the urine !

good story

casio

Is it a nice story?

"He cut her out and put her oicture up in his room"

I shall have a nightmare about it. I know I will. Even
now I have worked out what oicture was meant to be.

:cross eye

Back