• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

Thanks for posting this littleblackcat :) I haven't read the page in full yet but I liked that first one about the eggs :D

Some interesting posts there.

A few of the telephone ones are very reminiscent of John Keel's experiences as related in his Mothman prophesies - very strange indeed.

I really like the short weird ones. Yesterday I had it copied and wanted to paste it but I got sidetracked by something shiny...
The one I liked was the pen that stalled in mid air before falling onto the table in some school and several people saw it happen.
If it wasn't made up, those are the things that interest me most.

Oh my gosh I just got sucked into this thing for hours! I was going to say thanks for sharing but now that I've realized how much time I've wasted reading through these I think I'll take it back... ;)

What a great find, some really creepy stories on there! :heh:

I've just spent 4hrs reading through this one - nice one.

Really like the simple ones like the reappaing pop corn, and the sgetti O stuck on the ceiling!!

The other day my friends and i were about to do some drugs so i threw down a rolled up dollar bill, if you know what i mean, so we could do some. When I looked down at the table it was gone, my friend and i looked and couldnt find it so he started to roll up another one. We looked down again and it had re appeared right in front of us on an empty table. My friend and i looked at each other, both agreed it was not on the table a second ago. There was no possible way we could have missed it, it was right there.
My friends all thought ghost, but i explained this thread, which kind of freaked them out more. I have been noticing this kind of thing alot lately, i was glad someone else saw it this time.

paranoid420 said:
The other day my friends and i were about to do some drugs so i threw down a rolled up dollar bill, if you know what i mean, so we could do some. When I looked down at the table it was gone, my friend and i looked and couldnt find it so he started to roll up another one. We looked down again and it had re appeared right in front of us on an empty table. My friend and i looked at each other, both agreed it was not on the table a second ago. There was no possible way we could have missed it, it was right there.
My friends all thought ghost, but i explained this thread, which kind of freaked them out more. I have been noticing this kind of thing alot lately, i was glad someone else saw it this time.

This is precisely why you shouldn't do drugs! :lol: :lol: :lol:

going slightly off topic, i think any 'real' fortean experience i've ever had can be chalked up to erm, 'chalk'... in the rolled up note sort of sense. i once saw a scarf slithering across the floor like a snake, not only was there no snake scarf on the floor, there wasn't even a scarf . Drugs are bad.

birdy said:
going slightly off topic, i think any 'real' fortean experience i've ever had can be chalked up to erm, 'chalk'... in the rolled up note sort of sense. i once saw a scarf slithering across the floor like a snake, not only was there no snake scarf on the floor, there wasn't even a scarf . Drugs are bad.

Yeah, even mushrooms. Once after taking magic mushrooms, a friend of mine was chased by trees.

ramonmercado said:
Yeah, even mushrooms. Once after taking magic mushrooms, a friend of mine was chased by trees.

He wasn't a thespian in the Scottish play, was he?

ramonmercado said:

I took them once and my house started breathing. :gaga:

Anyway, some interesting stuff on the Reddit threads, but a lot of it makes me think people don't understand how brains work. Not a slam on them (as in 'they're stupid'), but perception and memory are nowhere near as reliable as people believe.

That said, I like the guy who ate an egg for breakfast, then looked down and noticed the egg was still there, uneaten. Buh-whaah?

What if 'glitches in reality' started getting super-frequent, like once a day, then once an hour, and eventually so constant that you didn't even know if the people you were telling your stories to were real. And the craziest things would happen like you turn on a light-bulb and water pours out, or you take a bite from your sandwich and suddenly you wake up in a barrel heading over Niagara Falls. And consequently, what if the 'glitches in reality' became so constant that you didn't even know if you were alive anymore? What would you do?

;)

I was talking to a mate last week who is a hardcore sci-fi fan, about a book I read decades ago based I think on a similar idea. My very fuzzy recollection of the plot is that the universe has been 'dividing' since its beginning, each division creating a alternate reality. At the time the story is set, the divisions have reached a planetary level, so travelling around is becoming very tricky, what with physics behaving very oddly at any point into your journey.

My mate hadn't heard of it, and I have no idea what its called. One fact has stood out in my mind, it was the very first time I came across the word 'avatar' (I think a robot was acting as an avatar for... erm, for... a... Told you my recollection about this is fuzzy!).

Earlier this year I read through the Reddit threads. Very interesting, and no doubt in some cases inventive, stuff.

I've been writing a short horror story and told a bloke at work the basic idea behind it. He told me my start is almost identical to the start of Farenheight 451 (which I knew nothing of)!.

I spent a couple of hours reading that thread last night, and it was great. Lots of great first hand accounts of weirdness.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/762310 ... tml&page=1

That is a thread on ar15,com, which is a site dedicated to the ar15 rifle. The site has a lot of meatheads, and lots of spirited discussions... Well the creepy thread pops up, and they start telling these amazing first hand stories , many involving things that happened out in the woods when hunting. It's long, with many things pasted from elsewhere, but what I did was scroll through until I see a post with no quotes, and you get great first hand stories. Ghosts, skinwalkers (native american shapeshifting witch doctors :p ) totally bizarre unexplained animals, werewolves, bigfoot. It's a Fortean delight :)

Human_84 said:
What if 'glitches in reality' started getting super-frequent, like once a day, then once an hour, and eventually so constant that you didn't even know if the people you were telling your stories to were real.

There's a classic Jack Vance (?) short story where the earth enters a zone with different laws where exactly this kind of thing can happen. Only crazy people are well adapted to these circumstances.

I concur. I highly recommend the first link, Ted's Caving Diary. Clearly fiction, but very enjoyable

I forgot to add creepy fiction to my description :p It has a variety of stuff, with enough first hand original to the thread stories to qualify as relevant in the IHTM forum I think.
I spent a few weeks going through that thread skimming to find the stories when I had time, and it continues to deliver all the way through :)

I signed up to this message board to ask if anyone else out there has come across any other good threads out there on the internet on fortean / strange phenomena - I'm a real sucker for that kind of stuff. Loved that Reddit one.

I particularly like fortean / strange threads on websites that aren't dedicated to that kind of thing (like the "IHTM-a-like sticky" at the top of this board) - I think it often attracts better replies. That's why that gun club one is so good.

Some of the best ones I've seen have been on IMDB - there were really good ones on "The Strangers" and "Vacancy" message boards.

There have been some good ghost story threads on the Something Awful message board in the past as well, but the last few seem to have had more and more fictitious contributions which I don't really like.

Thanks!!

Another creepy thread popped up at AR15.com. I have only started it, so I can't vouch for its creepiness...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/122743 ... read_.html

eta: I read a few pages and so far its all first hand stuff, with some good stories.

Unfortunately, this one didn't include the "Nothing stupid" instruction, and there are creepy pictures of Nancy Pelosi, and Michelle Obama lol.

Back