• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

Also found in the 'Corpse Mishandling' thread I came across this delightful chap yesterday. This is truly the stuff of nightmares:

WARNING - The following story & links within contain detailed descriptions & images of deceased children.

The Dark Histories podcast has an episode on him. It manages to bring out the really tragic aspect of this man's story, which ultimately struck me far more than the grotesque details. He was very talented, but bullied, beaten and quite isolated because it made him so different, and he was damaged to the point where he couldn't function socially. He was so solicitous toward his "dolls" that after the trial one father said, "he was nicer to my child after her death than I was during her life." (Approximate quote; it was awhile ago when I listened to it, and I think once is enough for me. :( )
http://www.darkhistories.com/russian-dools-anatoly-moskvin/

We had one about a fenced in grave at our local cemetery. The woman buried there was a witch and the fence was in place to keep her bound to her burial plot. Someone vandalized the fence leaving a hole in it thus setting her free to roam the cemetery... only at night, of course.

There was this house known as "Creepy Doll House." In the home's yard was a smaller version of the house just big enough for a toddler to play in. Rumor was the family lost a child, then the distraught mother made a life-size doll that looked like the child and kept it in there.

It's this one, Escargot!

So creepy and fascinating!

Sorry to necro-reply (is that a thing?) but this reminded me so strongly of the novel "Dark Matter" by Blake Crouch, which I recently read. Very very weird, either the poster should be writing super successful fiction (maybe he is!), or he experienced something so out there he had no way of adequately describing the phenomena. The whole scale and dimensionality of the wheel is awe inspiring.

Sorry to necro-reply (is that a thing?) but this reminded me so strongly of the novel "Dark Matter" by Blake Crouch, which I recently read. Very very weird, either the poster should be writing super successful fiction (maybe he is!), or he experienced something so out there he had no way of adequately describing the phenomena. The whole scale and dimensionality of the wheel is awe inspiring.

Lovely!
I have two points to make about this.

One is that I once had a dream of wheels very like that one but they were not as tall and were floating in the sky. Totally meaningless! but possibly one of those universal symbols that Jung described. He was big on wheels.

The other is that the experience described sounds like a brain-glitch of the sort you can get with epilepsy. The driver could have had a tiny blackout and his brain then filled in the rest afterwards.

Some interesting stories of strangeness in the wilderness in the comments under this Youtube video:

Well, that's a good couple of hours gone. Thanks so much, MercuryCrest. :crazy:

I've become ridiculously attached to listening to the series of videos "Scary stories and ambient rain" on YouTube—these are first person accounts apparently collected from Reddit, and read by a very sedate sounding narrator. There are a few things that really stand out for me:
Many children don't have access to emotional support from their parents, either because the parents are emotionally distant, not validating, or have to work multiple jobs and so are not physically present to help when needed.
There are a lot of peeping Toms in the exurbs who seem to have nothing better to do.
There are a lot of home intruders and weirdos who live in the woods and who are probably on Meth.

Many of these stories intensify the sense I have that problems that have been ignored for a long time, such as drug addiction, poverty, stagnant wages and homelessness, have grown to an un-ignorable magnitude. There are a lot of people who are vulnerable, and a lot of people who are lost.

I've become ridiculously attached to listening to the series of videos "Scary stories and ambient rain" on YouTube—these are first person accounts apparently collected from Reddit, and read by a very sedate sounding narrator. There are a few things that really stand out for me:
Many children don't have access to emotional support from their parents, either because the parents are emotionally distant, not validating, or have to work multiple jobs and so are not physically present to help when needed.
There are a lot of peeping Toms in the exurbs who seem to have nothing better to do.
There are a lot of home intruders and weirdos who live in the woods and who are probably on Meth.

Many of these stories intensify the sense I have that problems that have been ignored for a long time, such as drug addiction, poverty, stagnant wages and homelessness, have grown to an un-ignorable magnitude. There are a lot of people who are vulnerable, and a lot of people who are lost.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'm assuming most or all these stories that you make the latter point about, are American? I'm constantly struck or reminded that the US is a essentially a Third World country, widespread and growing poverty and income inequality a lack of support infrastructure and increasing drug related issues as a result, the UK is "better" but not as much better as it should be and I think we are on a similar trajectory just less far down that path.

When I see there's a new post on this thread I click and the new post comes up briefly, then a the page scrolls up to the top of the big long list a few posts previous.

When I see there's a new post on this thread I click and the new post comes up briefly, then a the page scrolls up to the top of the big long list a few posts previous.

Same! It's really frustrating isn't it, I don't have this problem with other threads.

Reading through... I think some of these are far creepier than our fortean mysteries. The world is a messed up place.

Absolutely 100% correct. I've spent some hours over the past few days reading the Reddit thread. I've been on the Internet for a long time time now and seen some truly horrific things. Humans and their capacity for evil are by far, more frightening than anything other wordly or unexplained.

I'm assuming most or all these stories that you make the latter point about, are American?
Surprisingly, not all of the stories. But most of them seem to be.
There are certain horrors that have been with us since the beginning, and there is a lot a leeway—and a lot of space—to get away with stuff if you act anonymously and then slink off, or where certain people are categorized as threats or acceptable victims. I have to say though, the overwhelming majority of people I've met in my travels across the US have had very decent standards of behavior for the most part, even when they haven't liked me or my beliefs. The stories on the YouTube channel are often the creepiest things that have happened to people, so that might be one episode over the course of a lifetime where things were fine, despite the holes in their support systems. But our individualist "pursuit of happiness" has definitly left a lot of people in the dust.

Surprisingly, not all of the stories. But most of them seem to be.
There are certain horrors that have been with us since the beginning, and there is a lot a leeway—and a lot of space—to get away with stuff if you act anonymously and then slink off, or where certain people are categorized as threats or acceptable victims. I have to say though, the overwhelming majority of people I've met in my travels across the US have had very decent standards of behavior for the most part, even when they haven't liked me or my beliefs. The stories on the YouTube channel are often the creepiest things that have happened to people, so that might be one episode over the course of a lifetime where things were fine, despite the holes in their support systems. But our individualist "pursuit of happiness" has definitly left a lot of people in the dust.

I wasn't implying Americans were "bad" or any more "bad" than anyone, simply that their country is atypical and fucked up by First World standards.

I wasn't implying Americans were "bad" or any more "bad" than anyone, simply that their country is atypical and fucked up by First World standards.
I suppose it's a very large country with quite a dense urban population and not a great support system for those with no money. Yet with plenty of space to go 'off grid' or to disappear into if you are of nefarious intent, making it harder to catch up with those who transgress.

Life can be tough if you fall through the holes.

Absolutely 100% correct. I've spent some hours over the past few days reading the Reddit thread. I've been on the Internet for a long time time now and seen some truly horrific things. Humans and their capacity for evil are by far, more frightening than anything other wordly or unexplained.
I agree completely. It always puzzles me why many witnesses on Reddit and elsewhere, when describing a fairly innocuous glitch, will go on about how freaked out they are and can't sleep etc. It's this "normal" world that's the scary one, that's for sure!

Back