• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

Maybe the experiencer entered a parallel dimension where Skynyrd wrote The Boys Are Back in Town.
She just lays it on so thickly about it being 'dad's favourite song'. If it HAD been 'dad's favourite song' then I should have thought they'd know who recorded it (it's hardly an ancient nose-flute and zither ditty about Aeathelfled, is it?)

Comments from the physics blog of Sabine Hossenfelder:

Mr. Jonathan Camp2:13 AM, August 01, 2021
Hi C Thompson,
I want to tell you, and you math geeks, about a repetitive dream that I used to have.
I’d be walking in a park and come across a bench with an open book lying face down on it. I’d pick the book up and turn it over to see what was written inside. But I’d always wake up as I was turning it over before I could read it. The dream persisted for a long time, and I learned to recognize it as a dream and would try to force myself to remain asleep so that I could read the book.
One day it worked!!! I turned the book over and it was full of maths equations that I couldn’t understand. I never had the dream again.

Terry Bollinger10:50 AM, August 01, 2021

Mr. Jonathan Camp, your story reminded me of two dreams. The first one was back in college when I was taking several math classes. I was in my room sleeping badly, and in my dream (and in real life) I was cold because I had kicked the covers off. In the dream my cover had become a matrix, and if I solved the matrix-blanket problem I would get warm again. I solved it multiple times, and got very frustrated when I nonetheless stayed cold.

The other was when I was in a hospital and, shall we say, not in very good shape (I have myasthenia gravis, nicely controlled now). The combination of drugs I was getting induced incredibly detailed, brightly colored hallucinations, and in one of them I was researching my own condition, looking for insights in a large book that might help my treatment. The book was filled with vivid, excrutiatingly detailed script, and as I looked at it I realized “All this text is just nonsense being generated by my brain. I will never find any answers here because my brain doesn’t contain the information I need for my own treatment, so even if I could read this it has no value.”

One result of that period of time was bafflement on my part: Why would anyone want to be in a state of mind where everything they did was unreal and disconnected with reality? My illness-force experience of this world of psychedelic hallucinations was uniformly unpleasant and distressing. I like reality, it’s a gift!

One result of that period of time was bafflement on my part: Why would anyone want to be in a state of mind where everything they did was unreal and disconnected with reality? My illness-force experience of this world of psychedelic hallucinations was uniformly unpleasant and distressing. I like reality, it’s a gift!
The answer to that question is that Hossenfelder's dream expressed the frustrated desire to find a cure. Hossenfelder herself has no control over her own desires or how her subconscious depicts them. Makes no difference what you want!

“All this text is just nonsense being generated by my brain. I will never find any answers here because my brain doesn’t contain the information I need for my own treatment, so even if I could read this it has no value.”

I love this. If the unconscious mind dosnt have access to the information (cloud consciousness or not) it cant show it to you, so improvises.

This one smells like BS:

About ten years ago I was doing some contract work in a new suite of offices in Chester. Chester was founded, as you may know, as a Roman fort. It was one of the largest Roman fortresses and civilian settlements in the country. There are important pieces of Roman architecture in and around the city such as the Minerva shrine in Edgar’s Field park and the Amphitheatre just outside the walls. You can see an original Roman hypocaust in the basement of Spud-U-Like on Bridge Street. Roman remains can still, to this day, be found in Chester, particularly in the basements of buildings. This has some bearing on what happened, because the offices where I was working was more or less certainly built on top of some of those Roman remains - it’s pretty hard to avoid them, in Chester.

One night a week or so ago, I decided to stay late to finish some work. I was alone in the big open-plan office, on the fifth floor, with nothing but orange-tinted darkness to be seen outside the windows. In the middle of the room was a double row of metal filing cabinets, about 4 feet tall. I was working at a terminal at the other end of the room, on a desk up against the wall so my back was to the room and the windows and filing cabinets were some way off to my left.

I got quite into my work and oblivious of my surroundings, as you do, but at about half 7, a sudden sound made me jump out of my skin. It came from the direction of the filing cabinets. A sharp metallic clang, repeated three times in quick succession, as though someone had struck the cabinets with something metallic. This startled me, but it only happened once so I put it down to 'building sound' and set to work again.

About ten minutes later the sound came again. Bang-bang-bang! Then again - louder and more insistent. BANG BANG BANG! I literally felt my blood run cold, as no way could this sound be attributed to any settling or shifting building noise. These cabinets were only 4 foot high so if there was someone there I'd have been able to see them... unless they were a midget or a child... or were bending down in order to stay out of sight...

The sound came again. BANG BANG! And again, and again, regular now like a drum-beat. I hurriedly shut down the terminal I was working on and got ready to leg it - no way was I going to investigate - when the sound abruptly ceased.

Then, in the sudden silence, a figure rose up from behind the front row of filing cabinets.

At this point I felt the most scared I had ever been in my entire life. I literally could not move.

This figure appeared to be the outline of a man - totally black, like a shadow come to life. I could only see the torso, head and shoulders as it was behind the filing cabinets, but as I watched it walked forwards THROUGH THE CABINETS and marched down the office towards me.

I couldn't even scream as the spectre drew nearer. It was very definitely the outline of a man, with striding legs, swinging arms and an odd-shaped head - it looked like it was wearing a helmet. In one arm the figure appeared to be carrying something long and pointed, almost a metre in length and about two inches wide. And as it came nearer to I, I noticed the weirdest thing of all about the apparition. I noticed that it wasn't solid at all.

It was composed of tiny black spheres about the size of a marble, arranged in the three-dimensional shape of a man.

I remember seeing the hand of this shape, the fingers opening and closing as it marched closer and closer, the fingers made of individual black marbles...

It was coming straight for me but I still couldn’t move. And, as it passed by me, it paused - AND TURNED TO LOOK STRAIGHT AT ME with its featureless ‘face’ of tiny black spheres. As though it had just noticed me. And then it thrust the object in its hand straight into my stomach.

I looked down to see the sword, or blade, or whatever it was, made up of little black marbles, slide into my body just above my belly-button. It didn’t hurt. It was a strange, satisfying, almost euphoric feeling, like you get when you sink into a hot bath, or scratch an itch. It spread out from my guts over my whole body, a tingling wave of almost unbearable, tickling torment. Then there was this intense, rushing feeling, as if I was falling from a great height, and then I must have fainted.

I came to some time later, clutching something in my right hand. Looking at my watch, I saw that hours had passed, it was now 10 pm. Remembering the shadow figure I leapt up, my left hand probing my stomach. There was no blood, no wound, nothing. No indication that anything had happened. And then came the most terrifying thing of all. A deep, resonant voice spoke, quite distinctly, into my left ear from over my shoulder. It said, ‘Quis est? Amicus vel hostis?’

I can’t recall clearly exactly what happened in the moments after I heard this challenge. I only recall flashes of memory; screaming and running, bashing through doors and clattering down stairs. I eventually came to my senses in the lobby, panting and sweating, glaring around in confused, terrified panic. Two security guards were approaching me making calming gestures and saying, ‘put the weapon down, sir.’ I glanced for the first time at the object I’d picked up from the office floor before I’d fled the office. It was (I found out later when describing it to a local historian) a gladius; a Roman sword - the primary weapon of a Roman footsoldier. Even as I stared at it, the blade transformed into a multitude of black spheres and a jolt like an electric shock ran from the handle of the weapon through my hand and up my arm. I let it go and it fell to the floor, the black spheres rolling in all directions before vanishing completely.

The security guards say they saw none of this, and that I took the sword with me when I left, but I swear it’s true. In any case, there is no trace of the sword anywhere in my hotel room, or the office, after the security guards searched for it. I bet though, if you look in the basement of the office block, you’ll find an ancient Roman relic, that of a gladius.

I refused to go back to the office, in fact refused point blank to even go back into the building, and lost the contract.

Not sure about quoting other forums so inserted as spoiler, if it has to be removed by mods, it's a third of the way down page three, by Jevarakh:

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_b...epiest-thing-that-s-ever-happened-to-you?pg=3

This one smells like BS:

Not sure about quoting other forums so inserted as spoiler, if it has to be removed by mods, it's a third of the way down page three, by Jevarakh:

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_b...epiest-thing-that-s-ever-happened-to-you?pg=3
Yup, that's the yarn I pointed out in the post before yours. It pops up now and then on different websites. I liked it so much I posted it on'ere after finding it on b3ta.

'Jevarakh' seems to have cut/pasted it as their own experience without editing the timescale details.

Yup, that's the yarn I pointed out in the post before yours. It pops up now and then on different websites. I liked it so much I posted it on'ere after finding it on b3ta.

'Jevarakh' seems to have cut/pasted it as their own experience without editing the timescale details.

I noticed your post above and did wonder if that was the one you were referring to, it's just too detailed and OTT and has too many "weird" elements going on, they've even chucked in time loss for a bit of alien/faery-esque thrills.

I noticed your post above and did wonder if that was the one you were referring to, it's just too detailed and OTT and has too many "weird" elements going on, they've even chucked in time loss for a bit of alien/faery-esque thrills.
The details differ slightly from site to site but it's always set in Chester. We'll never know where it came from. :wink2:

A couple of pages into that thread, someone's posted the 'Chester Shadow Spectre' story that's come up on'ere a couple of times.
I first saw it on b3ta and shared it on one of the ghost threads.
Yep, others users called them out on it and they said it was a short story they'd written. I thought it sounded familiar: the bit about the apparition being made up of "marbles" rang a distant bell.

Yep, others users called them out on it and they said it was a short story they'd written. I thought it sounded familiar: the bit about the apparition being made up of "marbles" rang a distant bell.
Reddit is like that too. The stories are yarns.

b3ta is more trustworthy, if cliquey. There're some cracking paranormal stories on there.

The cliquiness has ruined most of it. I stick to Question of the Week and the Image Challenge.
Is QotW still going, then? It used to be a weekly highlight for me, until one of the cliques you mention decided to troll it mercilessly.

I retained enough goodwill towards B3ta that when Rob Manuel set up his Patreon, I subscribed. But when entire months went by with nothing, I became unimpressed. To be fair, it seems to materialise more regularly these days, but the damage has been done, and I rarely even open the email when it comes.

Is QotW still going, then? It used to be a weekly highlight for me, until one of the cliques you mention decided to troll it mercilessly.

I retained enough goodwill towards B3ta that when Rob Manuel set up his Patreon, I subscribed. But when entire months went by with nothing, I became unimpressed. To be fair, it seems to materialise more regularly these days, but the damage has been done, and I rarely even open the email when it comes.
The b3ta talk boards could have been like a mighty British Reddit if there'd been the will to sack off the bullies. Instead it comes across as the junior common room of a minor public school where sixth formers are allowed to drift in and out to mock and terrorise younger boys.

QOTW went downhill a few years ago, as you say, and post numbers dropped.
Some of the previous questions are mega though. I sometimes repost from them on'ere, fully credited of course.

Sorry to necro-reply (is that a thing?) but this reminded me so strongly of the novel "Dark Matter" by Blake Crouch, which I recently read. Very very weird, either the poster should be writing super successful fiction (maybe he is!), or he experienced something so out there he had no way of adequately describing the phenomena. The whole scale and dimensionality of the wheel is awe inspiring.
I found that story strangely relaxing and reassuring.

Here's what's been said:

level 1
PerfectPlebeian

· 9h

Did the charge show up on your account for the gas purchase?

level 2
fuegopaintrain

Op · 7h

Yes

level 3
PerfectPlebeian

· 7h

Where did it show? Did it show the name of the town or anything

level 4
fuegopaintrain

Op · 7h

No nothing like that just some generic name like shop n quick gas online purcahse

level 5
DW_Gaming

· 7h

It doesn't give a number or anything on the end of that transaction? Just "shop and quick gas?"

It's impossible to evaluate ... The Reddit OP didn't specify where in California they were headed. He was operating in an unfamiliar locale and went 'out of the way' to a gas station that didn't seem to be the right distance away. Without some specifics on locations there's no way to figure out where he was going or where he'd been.

It's impossible to evaluate ... The Reddit OP didn't specify where in California they were headed. He was operating in an unfamiliar locale and went 'out of the way' to a gas station that didn't seem to be the right distance away. Without some specifics on locations there's no way to figure out where he was going or where he'd been.
Down in the comments he's mentioning between Littlefield and St. George on Highway I-15. Littlefield is in Arizona and St. George is in Utah.
Couldn't find Shop N Quick outside California.

Back