• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

Nice one Cochise, those 2 threads passed me by. In the survivalist thread, I only read the posts with about 15 or more "thanks from other posters" to weed out the not-so-good ones.

I'm 20 pages in to the jeep one already and it's great - nothing paranormal, as you say, but still very Fortean.

:D I love Reddit!

There're a couple of good creepy threads on good old b3ta too.

Samples -

Dad's Sister
My family used to have the village shop in a tiny farming village in rural Lincolnshire. And because it was so distributed, my dad used to do deliveries in the van. Farmers and their families would phone through their orders, and make a date for delivery. On weekends, as a young Sasquatch, I'd go with my Dad and help him carry boxes and bags. This was great, as I got to go round all the farms, play with all the kids and be shown all the animals.

One day, we were visiting a farm, and the farmer's wife introduced my dad to her mum, who was visiting. She said her mum was the local fortune-teller, at which my dad smiled politely and said "How interesting." or some such. He didn't believe in any of that rubbish. A more mundane and normal setting could not be imagined - a workday farmhouse kitchen, plain wooden table, muddy boots by the door.

Then this woman looks up at my dad and says "I've got a message for you." Her face crumpled, and she was clearly confused. "It's your sister, but it's a man. He's in a greenhouse in the sky, but it's falling and it's on fire. How can a greenhouse be in the sky...? How can a man be your sister?"

To my total surprise, my Dad's face was wet with tears. He thanked her for the message and said he understood perfectly. Things returned to normality; tea was made, drunk, and we left. In the van, I was bursting to know what that had all been about. When my Dad had been a teenager, his best pal was a lad called Peter, and they looked very similar in height and facial features. People used to ask them if they were brothers, and their stock reply was "No, we're sisters!" Peter had gone into the RAF during the war, and had flown in an Anson light bomber, which was nicknamed the Flying Greenhouse. His plane had been lost over the Channel.

aaaannd -

He just disappeared.
My father, when I was young, was the teacher in charge of school upkeep during the summer holidays. Once a week, we’d stop through to make sure nobody had smeared shit on the walls, then we’d check the meters and go home. For my sister and I, these trips were particularly fun. We could run through the corridors of a school! We could shout in a school! We could do cartwheels in a classroom! Best yet, we could see what the boys’ toilets looked like!

On one nondescript summer day, my dad, my sister and myself made the usual walk to the school. We got up to the usual bumbling about, while my dad got up to his usual duties. Time came to leave.

“C’mon kids! Time to leave!”
“All right, dad!”

We saw him walking towards the front door, then, I swear to Darwin and Tesla, he fucking disappeared. One second, there was a dad. The next, nothing. Right before our bloody eyes. There was no mist, no image dissolving like in the movies. CLICK – he was gone, and the only place he could have gone was through the front door.

My sister and I thought he was playing a joke, a bit of a scary hide-and-seek. We ran through the building, searching every locker and cranny. Nothing. Then we started crying out, scared. Nothing. Surely a father – and my dad was the greatest, at this point would sheepishly emerge to calm us down. Nothing. Three hours passed and we had no sign of our father, we couldn’t go home because we were locked in and we couldn’t get to a phone to call our mother. So we sat in a corridor and waited.

“Are you coming, kids? What are you doing sitting down, I told you to come here!”

And there was dad again, standing in the same spot.

“DAD! WHERE DID YOU GO!! WE WERE SO SCARED!”

“I, well, I didn’t go anywhere, I’ve been standing here the whole time, sillies.”

“NO, DAAAAAAAAAD, you disappeared! We were sad! We cried! We looked everywhere for you!”

“Don’t be stupid, kids. Obviously, I…”

And then he checked his watch. Indeed, three hours has passed. He turned a whiter shade of green, and we walked home in silence.

I had spent the years following assuming that my dad had played a dirty trick on us, that he took it as an opportunity to skip out on his kids so he could go to the bar or something. I brought it up again a few years later.

“I swear on your mother’s life, I didn’t go anywhere. I remember calling out to you kids, then suddenly the two of you were sitting down. Three hours were gone, but not a single second had passed for me.”

“Yeah, sure, dad.”

“I swear on your life, I didn’t hide from you. And in those years since it happened, I lie awake at night wondering what happened to me during those three hours. I – [voice cracking] - don’t know what happened…”

I’m inclined to believe my dad and to believe my own eyes (HE FUCKING DISAPPEARED!!!) But was it a dad playing a particularly devious joke on his kids? Eh, I’m not so certain of that. I certainly can’t explain what happened, and dad’s admitted to all of his other practical jokes by now.

There was only one way he could have run away to hide, and that was through the door. That door was locked. All I know is that he disappeared right before my eyes.

:shock:

Thanks Escargot, those were both great! Do you have links to the actual threads themselves? Must say, I'd never heard of B3ta before!!

I'll second that motion, never heard of b3ta before now, but that second story you posted is giving me the galloping shudders!

(And now I want more)

b3ta is completely hilarious, but I think you have to be British and it helps to be geeky and not of the sensitive type. And have a bit of Photoshop skill.

Naaah, you don't need any special qualities to enjoy b3ta, though it's an adult site and not for the faint-hearted.

b3ta

Click on Question Of The Week and then scroll down to Previous Questions, and look for spooky questions. One's called 'B3TA Most Haunted' and there're also 'Creepy!' and 'Tales Of The Unexplained'.

The best answers are listed first. Don't be surprised if you're there all day. ;)

Had a good old proper glitch in the matrix yesterday.

I was standing in the hall, near my kitchen door (my house plan is kind of back to front), when I turned around, and saw a black figure quickly go into the kitchen, same height and build as my brother, didn't think much of it as my brother was wearing black. I turned back, then back around again, as I heard him coming down stairs, to see him quickly go into the kitchen again, I'm certain in the same way as the first thing.

He was adamant first time wasn't him. I was half expecting agents to come bursting through my door after Neo.

That B3ta website is hilarious. Have found myself reading loads of old Questions of the Week that are non-paranormal related lol

Indeed. :D

Here's a good'un -

I have never, never laughed so hard
I was walking home from shop when I saw my mate cycle past. I shouted and he looked round to see who it was. However, whilst he was doing that, a car just ahead of him had stopped at a crossing. My mate, who was going a fair speed hit the back of the car and his bike stopped dead. He didn't however, and the momentum carried him over the handlebars and onto the roof of the car. He would've most likely glided right over the car to land on the road at the other side if the car aerial hadn't snagged on his jogging bottoms, which caused him to slide out of them.

Now, the occupants of the car had spun round to see what the bang was and then turned back around in time to watch my mate slide down the windscreen minus his trousers with his bare genitals pressed against the glass and being stretched out, doing a fine impression of Deirdre's neck (from Coronation Street), finally coming to a halt, face first, with his chin resting on the car bonnet in a very awkward upside down position.

He thrashed about a bit trying to get down, and resigned to pulling his legs out of his trousers completely, whereby he rolled rather gracelessly off the side of the car bonnet and onto the pavement. He picked himself up and in front of a small crowd, stretched up to retrieve his jogging bottoms from the top of the car, giving him the opportunity to press his bollocks against the passenger-side window this time.

I laughed so much I started getting a bit light-headed and had to sit down, and for the next three days my sides ached as if I'd been beaten up.

:rofl:

Edit - you might like the Coincidences thread too. ;)

More b3ta creepiness -

The Shadow Spectre

Heard this from a friend who was doing some contract work in an office in Chester. Now, Chester was founded as a Roman fort and there are lots of archeological digs going on at any one time. The office my friend - we'll call him Paul - was working in was right opposite this dig where they reckon they'd found a second Minerva shrine, there was a lot of excitment over it and during the day the office workers would watch the excavations from the first floor window.

One night Paul decided to stay late to finish some work. This was in October so it was dark outside by half 6. Now the room he was working in was a big open plan affair, with windows at the far end and a double line of tall filing cabinets in front of the windows. Paul was working at a terminal at the other end of the room, on a desk up against the wall so his back was to the room and the windows and filing cabinets were some way off to his left.

He got quite into his work and oblivious of his surroundings, as you do, but at about 7 pm he became aware of a banging sound, as if someone was running up and down between the rows of filing cabinets and kicking them. This startled him, but it only happened the once so he put it down to 'building sound' and set to work again.

About ten minutes later the sound happened again, only louder. Paul tells me that he literally felt his blood run cold, as no way could this sound be attributed to any settling or shifting building noise. It sounded like someone or something was running up and down between the rows of cabinets and hitting them with a something metal.

Now these cabinets were only 4 foot high so if there was someone there he'd have been able to see them... unless they were a midget or a child... or were bending down in order to stay out of sight...

The sound got so loud that Paul closed down his PC and was getting ready to leg it - no way was he going to investigate - when the sound abruptly ceased.

Then, in the sudden silence, a figure rose up from behind the front row of filing cabinets.

At this point Paul tells me that he felt the most scared he had ever been in his entire life. He literally could not move.

This figure appeared to be the outline of a man - totally black, like a shadow come to life. Paul coud only see the torso, head and shoulders as it was behind the filing cabinets, but as he watched it walked forwards THROUGH THE CABINETS and marched down the office towards him.

Paul couldn't even scream as the spectre drew nearer. It was very definitely the outline of a man, with striding legs, swinging arms and an odd, oval shaped head. And as it came nearer to Paul, he noticed the weirdest thing of all about the apparation. He noticed that it wasn't solid at all.

It was made out of tiny black spheres about the size of a marble, arranged in the three-dimensional shape of a man.

Paul remembers seeing the hand of this shape, the fingers opening and closing as it marched closer and closer, the fingers made of individual black marbles...

It was coming straight for him but he could not move. And, as it passed by him, it paused - AND TURNED TO LOOK AT HIM with its blank, oval head. As though it had just noticed him.

At that point Paul broke and ran blindly from the room, screaming his lungs out. He can't remember much about the next few minutes but the security guards accosted him running through the foyer crying and shouting.

He refused to go back to the room, in fact refused to go back into the building, and lost the contract.

He told people what he had seen but no-one else ever saw or heard anything unusual happen in that building.

The archaelogical dig was a false alarm, they never found a second Minerva temple, instead all they found was remnants of a Roman gladius (sword).

Came across that story the other night escargot...very strange....in all the weird and wonderful stories I've read I've never heard of a being of made of tiny black spheres.

So bizarre it's hard to believe that it was summoned from creative imagination.

The funny thing was that I suddenly remembered that story a day or so ago and I'd wanted to find it again. Thought I'd read it on here. Pehaps it stuck in my mind because it happened in Chester which I've often visited.

That was a great story. Reminds me of another archaeology / shadow one I've heard before (not as good but definitely "second hand" true!)

A lot of my friends and relatives are archaeologists. A close family member told me a story about how two workmen were finishing off a days work on a dig (it wasn't always qualified archaeologists who worked on digs, often there was only one or two with labourers or volunteers working under their direction).

They were under pressure to finish it off (even archaeologists have deadlines and budget constraints) so these two were working later than they ordinarily would. The sun was going down when they felt a sensation of sheer dread. This was in deepest Ulster countryside during the troubles and archaeologists and their digs were often the subject of scrutiny by various "interested parties" - both security force and paramilitary - ie a bunch of bearded men digging holes in the middle of nowhere often aroused suspicion. But these were hardened working men so they tried to shrug it off and keep going, but noticed that the shadows all round them were beginning to lengthen, and lengthen more than would be natural even with the sun going down.

When it got to the point where the shadows looked like they were moving and encircling them they downed tools and ran off to their van in sheer terror. The next morning they got a rollicking when the site director turned up to see that all the expensive equipment had been left out prone overnight when they told their experience. Then even the director made sure they finished it off before sunset!

Sounds like an outbreak of panic, or rather Panic - we have a thread on it somewhere. :D

We need more first-hand (or second-hand, we're not fussy :D ) spooky stories on here. Can't let b3ta and Reddit get away with'em all!

That's what Fort was all about: collecting and sharing people's weird stories and looking for patterns and explanations. Our MB should be a continuation of Fort's obsessive cuttings-clipping mission. ;)

Been reading this thread and getting properly spooked. The Missus has been getting ready to go to a funeral for a friend of hers that just recently passed. She was on the phone with his widow and crying, talking about Bill. His widow mentioned that it was sad Bill died a month before his 74th Birthday. The Missus asked what day? The widow answered November 8th. The Missus started crying even more, that was her Mum's Birthday, who died one year ago. She then told the widow that she and I had just had a remembrance ceremony for her Mum on September 28th. Then the widow started crying loudly, that was the day Bill DIED.

They shared the same Birthday and same day for death, exactly one year apart. The only connection is my Missus. I'm worried for what may happen next year on September 28th.

escargot1 said:
We need more first-hand (or second-hand, we're not fussy :D ) spooky stories on here. Can't let b3ta and Reddit get away with'em all!

I've been thinking about why reports are turning up on Reddit and not so much on ForteanTimes, and I think some (some--not all) of the difference is due to age. The people writing on Reddit are a much younger crowd. Many of the Reddit reports start with something like "Six years ago when I was in 8th grade" or "My mom and I were going shopping".

I'm sure Shaybarsabe is spot on about the demographic. Young people are rather starved of narrative in their education but they have a hunger for it which we can never quite stamp out, however hard we try . . .

Unfortunately the vacuum is most likely to be filled with ready-mades. I have had standard-issue phantom hitch-hiker stories proffered as It-Happened-To-Me stories by students, who have not troubled to change even the names from their Internet source!

"But this happened in Pakistan!" is not really a guarantee of authenticity. The same lad told me the chief attraction of shopping there was the availability of all the bootleg DVDs. :roll:

I do wish we had some younger posters but I fear they hunger for more affirmation than we might be willing to give. We're just too weird! :)

I'm guessing these were gathered from reddit. In any case they are in the same vein.

I desperately hope the one about the child and the oven is not true. That was extraordinarily shocking and upsetting. :(

That would've been in the news all over the world if it had really happened. A bit like that fillum, The Fourth Kind, which was supposed to be based on real events. We'd have heard about that too if it were real. ;)

A lot of the spooky yarns on Reddit're made up, probably most of them. A large pinch of salt is called for. :lol:

That would've been in the news all over the world if it had really happened

True, Escargot. I tend to miss quite a lot of news, but it would have been hard to miss that.

The story of the woman tied to a tree and left there was horrible also. (And more believable, I suppose).

They do attempt to separate known fiction from what we might call unknown fiction on Reddit. you need to check what the rules for the particular question or subreddit are. If fiction is allowed in a particular area you can bet its pretty much all fiction.

Back