• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

I've been thinking. Reading some of the stuff on Reddit, a common theme is that either very young people or very old people see things the rest of us don't. Could it be that we normally filter out things that our mind has told us shouldn't be there, and for the very young the filters haven't formed and in the very ill or as dying the filters fail.

Douglas Adams and his "SEP's" kind of thing, rather than an error in the computer program that generates the universe. The former says its something within us that does the filtering , the second says the filtering is part of the master plan (if any).

Of course the whole lot could be hallucinations or similar and there is no need for filtering, but that would be boring :)

What if 'glitches in reality' started getting super-frequent, like once a day, then once an hour, and eventually so constant that you didn't even know if the people you were telling your stories to were real. And the craziest things would happen like you turn on a light-bulb and water pours out, or you take a bite from your sandwich and suddenly you wake up in a barrel heading over Niagara Falls. And consequently, what if the 'glitches in reality' became so constant that you didn't even know if you were alive anymore? What would you do?

;)
Asking ourselves that in America quite a lot these days.

To (albeit, probably briefly) bring this thread back on track, I did manage to post an Askreddit thread that seems to have gotten a little attention. I haven't had a chance to read most of the responses yet (I'm letting them build up so I can spend a couple hours on them), they should be of Fortean interest:

Subway Workers, Tunnel Rats, and Explorers of Reddit, What's Your Scariest, Unexplained True Story of the Underground?

I do so love these types of askreddits, esp. ones that focus on a profession like forestry or deep sea fishing. Some really great stories out there.

(Incidentally, I've found that if I post on Askreddit at around 10am, CST, Mondays and Wednesdays, I actually get responses as opposed to being downvoted to oblivion because...well...reddit.)

EDIT: Well, I didn't get nearly as many properly Fortean responses as I'd hoped, but it's still an entertaining read.

Last edited:

Started reading this yesterday - am still reading :nails:

Quite a terrifying experience (if true) and one that seems to plug into what I'd guess is a pretty common (primal?) terror of being manipulated by an unseen power or force.
The only element which makes me doubt the story occurs when a user asks him if he could perhaps trace his location that evening on his phone. He replies in the present tense, that he never has such stuff set up on his phone or he'd have a look at it!......but if the experience happened 8 yrs ago, surely he would either say such apps weren't available then, or else 'Ooh, sorry, that was 8 yrs back, yo!'.

For those who don't wish to trawl through the reddit thread : User and his girlfriend lost 4 hours of time one evening whilst watching a chick flick with some popcorn. In the blink of an eye, both found themselves unclothed, sat at the edge of the bed not knowing what had happened to them.

I had a glitch in the Matrix the other day, I posted about it on Facebook. I saw the same old man in the same 'i
1f496.png
TW' t shirt walking in the same direction at the same time in the same place two days in a row, in the MTR (underground) station. It had the feeling of a recording being played back.

I had a glitch in the Matrix the other day, I posted about it on Facebook. I saw the same old man in the same 'i
1f496.png
TW' t shirt walking in the same direction at the same time in the same place two days in a row, in the MTR (underground) station. It had the feeling of a recording being played back.
I had something very much like this recently.
Driving through a village while returning from work, I drove past some steps and there was a woman coming down the steps with 2 small dogs on leads (see link below for Street View of steps). She stopped on the steps as I drove past. This happened 2 days running, suggesting that our timing was pretty much bang-on and we are both creatures of habit.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.0...TjrzcSJ_8AzfJeHS932Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Last edited:
Wonder why it's called the Profanity House?

Yeah, I saw that earlier. Found it on a map and looked on Street View. It doesn't look so bad, although the Street View photography is pretty bad all along that road.
Why on Earth is it called that?

I can see why now, looking at those pics of graffiti.

Yeah, I saw that earlier. Found it on a map and looked on Street View. It doesn't look so bad, although the Street View photography is pretty bad all along that road.
Why on Earth is it called that?
Looks like the Google Street view driver has been driving fast through the road. Found some strange photo anomalies seen on two photos taken perhaps 10 meters apart. Look in the middle of the photos.
Shades of Death Road - Angle 1.jpg
Shades of Death Road - Angle 2.jpg

Coordinates Google Earth:
Lat. 40°54'51.33"N
Long. 74°53'56.44"W

Looks like the Google Street view driver has been driving fast through the road. Found some strange photo anomalies seen on two photos taken perhaps 10 meters apart. Look in the middle of the photos.
View attachment 6381 View attachment 6382

Coordinates Google Earth:
Lat. 40°54'51.33"N
Long. 74°53'56.44"W
What am I missing? I’m only seeing patches of light.

One of my favourite things about Reddit is the occasional 'what's the scariest thing that's ever happened to you?' threads that crop up in the askreddit subforum. Some answers are paranormal, some aren't. Nevertheless, there's a motherlode of first-hand paranormal accounts in there. n.b I can't take credit for this list, I've copied it from elsewhere, but you may find these threads worth a few hours, days or weeks of your time.

[Serious] What is the creepiest, most blood chilling thing you or someone you know have ever experienced?

What was your creepy unexplained experience as a child?

[Serious] What is the creepiest wikipedia article you've ever read?

What is the creepiest thing you've heard a child say?

what was the creepiest /scariest thing that ever happened while you were alone ?

[SERIOUS] What is the best unexplained mystery?

What is the most unexplained, supernatural, or paranormal event you've ever witnessed?

[Serious] Reddit what are your creepy, unexplainable, or just weird things that have occurred in your life?

Seamen of Reddit, what is the scariest thing that happened to you while you were at sea?

What is the Creepiest thing that has ever happened to you?

Truckers of Reddit, what's the weirdest, creepiest, scariest or most wtf thing you've seen while on the road or at a stop?

Truckers of Reddit, what's the craziest, scariest, or most bizarre thing you have experienced on the road or at a truck stop?

What is the most scary/disturbing/unsettling footage available online?

[Serious]Hikers, Campers, Woodsmen and the Like What Are Your Scariest Experiences in Them There Woods?

Redditors who spend time in seclusion (camping, hiking, etc.) What is the creepiest/scary/suspicious thing you have witnessed?

What is your creepy unexplained childhood experience?

Dear Deep Sea Fishers of Reddit, What's the strangest thing you've seen / heard on the open ocean?

What is the scariest thing you've found on the internet

[Serious] What is the actual scariest photo on the internet?

Reddit, What Is Your r/NOSLEEP Story That Actually Happened?

[Serious]What is the creepiest thing that has ever happened to you?

What was the scariest encounter you have ever had?

Reddit, what's the creepiest encounter you've ever had with another human being?

Reddit, I don't want to sleep tonight- what is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?

[Serious] What's the scariest thing that ever happened to you?

What are some of the creepiest Wikipedia pages that you know of?

Reddit what is the creepiest TRUE event in recorded history with some significance?

What is the creepiest, most unexplainable thing that has happened to you?

What is your creepiest true story?

[SERIOUS] Alien abductees or those who claim to have seen a UFO/Alien phenomena, what is your story?

Doctors of Reddit: What's the creepiest thing you've encountered while on the job?

Urban explorers of Reddit, what's the creepiest thing you've found while exploring an abandoned building?

What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?

Sailors and boaters of Reddit, what's the most amazing or unexplainable thing you've seen at sea?

Redditors who spend a lot of time in seclusion (at sea, in the air or out in the wilderness) what's the creepiest or most mysterious thing you've seen, found or experienced?

[Serious] What is the downright SCARIEST thing that has ever happened to you, be it paranormal or otherwise?

[Serious] What's the creepiest TRUE story that happened to you or someone you know?

Whats your creepiest (REAL LIFE) story?

[Serious] Reddit, what is the creepiest/scariest thing that's ever happened to you?

[Serious] National Park Rangers and any other profession that takes you far out into the wilderness. What are the strangest weirdest things you have seen or heard or experienced while out there?

What was the scariest/creepiest thing that has ever happened to you?

As a kid, what's the creepiest thing you ever noticed about another kid's family?

What are some things, that look harmless during the day, but get insanely creepy during the night?

[Serious] Creepiest things to ever happen on Reddit?

Truckers and long distance drivers of reddit, what are some of your spookiest/unexplained stories of the road?

What's a story you don't tell people because they wouldn't believe it?

[Serious] Night Watchmen of Reddit, what is the creepiest situation you've been in on shift?

What was something that happened to you as a child that you didn't realize was scary/creepy/dangerous until you got older?

Sailors of Reddit, what's the weirdest/creepiest thing you've seen at sea?

What is the creepiest thing to happen in the history of Reddit?

What's the creepiest thing that you've seen other families do that they accept as totally normal?

What is the creepiest and most unexplainable paranormal experience you've ever had?

What is the creepiest explainable, non-paranormal story or event that happened to you?

Night workers of Reddit, what's the spookiest/creepiest thing you've ever seen at work?

What's your creepiest non-paranormal story?

What was the scariest non paranormal thing to ever happen to you?

What unexplained, seemingly paranormal event did you experience as a child?

Doctors & Nurses of Reddit, what was the creepiest last words you heard from a patient right before they died?

What's the scariest real thing on our earth?

Campers or Rangers of Reddit, what's the most unsettling, creepy, and/or supernatural thing that's happened to you while in the woods?

Parents of Reddit: What is the most dark/chlling thing your children have said?

What is the scariest image/story/video floating around on the internet today?

It's Halloween month. What are some of the creepy/paranormal encounters you've had or heard?

Haunted trail/house workers of Reddit, what's the craziest thing you've seen/heard on the job?

[Serious] Reddit, what's your most disturbing, scary or creepy true story?

[Serious] Graveyard shift workers of Reddit, what is the weirdest or creepiest thing you experienced while on the job?

Wow, that's quite a collection!

Thank you James for putting them all together, I have read about three of them so far

One of my favourite things about Reddit is the occasional 'what's the scariest thing that's ever happened to you?' threads that crop up in the askreddit subforum. Some answers are paranormal, some aren't. Nevertheless, there's a motherlode of first-hand paranormal accounts in there. n.b I can't take credit for this list, I've copied it from elsewhere, but you may find these threads worth a few hours, days or weeks of your time.

[Serious] What is the creepiest, most blood chilling thing you or someone you know have ever experienced?

What was your creepy unexplained experience as a child?

[Serious] What is the creepiest wikipedia article you've ever read?

What is the creepiest thing you've heard a child say?

what was the creepiest /scariest thing that ever happened while you were alone ?

[SERIOUS] What is the best unexplained mystery?

What is the most unexplained, supernatural, or paranormal event you've ever witnessed?

[Serious] Reddit what are your creepy, unexplainable, or just weird things that have occurred in your life?

Seamen of Reddit, what is the scariest thing that happened to you while you were at sea?

What is the Creepiest thing that has ever happened to you?

Truckers of Reddit, what's the weirdest, creepiest, scariest or most wtf thing you've seen while on the road or at a stop?

Truckers of Reddit, what's the craziest, scariest, or most bizarre thing you have experienced on the road or at a truck stop?

What is the most scary/disturbing/unsettling footage available online?

[Serious]Hikers, Campers, Woodsmen and the Like What Are Your Scariest Experiences in Them There Woods?

Redditors who spend time in seclusion (camping, hiking, etc.) What is the creepiest/scary/suspicious thing you have witnessed?

What is your creepy unexplained childhood experience?

Dear Deep Sea Fishers of Reddit, What's the strangest thing you've seen / heard on the open ocean?

What is the scariest thing you've found on the internet

[Serious] What is the actual scariest photo on the internet?

Reddit, What Is Your r/NOSLEEP Story That Actually Happened?

[Serious]What is the creepiest thing that has ever happened to you?

What was the scariest encounter you have ever had?

Reddit, what's the creepiest encounter you've ever had with another human being?

Reddit, I don't want to sleep tonight- what is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?

[Serious] What's the scariest thing that ever happened to you?

What are some of the creepiest Wikipedia pages that you know of?

Reddit what is the creepiest TRUE event in recorded history with some significance?

What is the creepiest, most unexplainable thing that has happened to you?

What is your creepiest true story?

[SERIOUS] Alien abductees or those who claim to have seen a UFO/Alien phenomena, what is your story?

Doctors of Reddit: What's the creepiest thing you've encountered while on the job?

Urban explorers of Reddit, what's the creepiest thing you've found while exploring an abandoned building?

What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?

Sailors and boaters of Reddit, what's the most amazing or unexplainable thing you've seen at sea?

Redditors who spend a lot of time in seclusion (at sea, in the air or out in the wilderness) what's the creepiest or most mysterious thing you've seen, found or experienced?

[Serious] What is the downright SCARIEST thing that has ever happened to you, be it paranormal or otherwise?

[Serious] What's the creepiest TRUE story that happened to you or someone you know?

Whats your creepiest (REAL LIFE) story?

[Serious] Reddit, what is the creepiest/scariest thing that's ever happened to you?

[Serious] National Park Rangers and any other profession that takes you far out into the wilderness. What are the strangest weirdest things you have seen or heard or experienced while out there?

What was the scariest/creepiest thing that has ever happened to you?

As a kid, what's the creepiest thing you ever noticed about another kid's family?

What are some things, that look harmless during the day, but get insanely creepy during the night?

[Serious] Creepiest things to ever happen on Reddit?

Truckers and long distance drivers of reddit, what are some of your spookiest/unexplained stories of the road?

What's a story you don't tell people because they wouldn't believe it?

[Serious] Night Watchmen of Reddit, what is the creepiest situation you've been in on shift?

What was something that happened to you as a child that you didn't realize was scary/creepy/dangerous until you got older?

Sailors of Reddit, what's the weirdest/creepiest thing you've seen at sea?

What is the creepiest thing to happen in the history of Reddit?

What's the creepiest thing that you've seen other families do that they accept as totally normal?

What is the creepiest and most unexplainable paranormal experience you've ever had?

What is the creepiest explainable, non-paranormal story or event that happened to you?

Night workers of Reddit, what's the spookiest/creepiest thing you've ever seen at work?

What's your creepiest non-paranormal story?

What was the scariest non paranormal thing to ever happen to you?

What unexplained, seemingly paranormal event did you experience as a child?

Doctors & Nurses of Reddit, what was the creepiest last words you heard from a patient right before they died?

What's the scariest real thing on our earth?

Campers or Rangers of Reddit, what's the most unsettling, creepy, and/or supernatural thing that's happened to you while in the woods?

Parents of Reddit: What is the most dark/chlling thing your children have said?

What is the scariest image/story/video floating around on the internet today?

It's Halloween month. What are some of the creepy/paranormal encounters you've had or heard?

Haunted trail/house workers of Reddit, what's the craziest thing you've seen/heard on the job?

[Serious] Reddit, what's your most disturbing, scary or creepy true story?

[Serious] Graveyard shift workers of Reddit, what is the weirdest or creepiest thing you experienced while on the job?
Thanks for sharing those James .. good stuff

Back