• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

OHHHH yuss.

my brother and I were standing in the checkout line at Kroger and he sneezed and a glob of earwax shot out of his ear like a bullet. God it's been a long time since I was so amused and disgusted at the same time.

That's the way, uh uh, I like it!

Thank you thank you thank you!
Now if only this new iPad would stop throwing me back to the top of a Reddit post so that I have to scroll back down for what feels like forever to relocate my place in the thread. :crazy:

Great collection, thanks for posting! Kind of wish I hadn't read this one As a kid, what's the creepiest thing you ever noticed about another kid's family? though! So many parents doing so many screwed up things to their poor children.

This post was particularly bizarre though:

When I was 11 I had the weirdest friend I've ever met.
His mom would make us do chores when we went over. We'd spend 4 hours doing the laundry, cleaning the house or some other stuff and then maybe we'd get to play for 1 hour. Also his mom would constantly tell him that he was useless, and that as he became older he'd be more and more useless. Really weird.
That friend kept inviting kids over every week. Naturally after a while we didn't want to go because none of us wanted to take care of his house for his mom. But the kid would beg us to come over and would even start crying if we didn't give in. Looking back I think his mom forced him to bring friends over to clean the house, and he was being punished if he didn't.
Another odd thing was his "dad". He kept saying he had a dad, but I never met him. When I was over at his place, sometimes he'd come back to his room from downstairs and tell me "My dad got home" or something like that. He'd talk about his father like the guy was really there, coming and going. One time when I was leaving my friend pointed to his father's shoes (which were not there when I came), and told me "That's my dad's shoes, it means he's home". The thing was, I saw his mother earlier in the afternoon take the shoes out from a drawer and put them there.
Years later, while thinking back on this, I realized that my friend had told me several times that his dad would punish him, but he never said his mom punished him. So I think she was convincing him he had a dad who was around the house, and somehow she convinced him that any punishment he received came from him, not her.
Then one day he didn't come to school anymore, and a week later the teachers explained to us that we wouldn't see him anymore because his mother killed him.
And then it just gets weirder. Several weeks later, I saw him in town with another woman, about his mother's age. I saw him with that woman on 3 or 4 occasions in total, over a few months. At first I thought it was another kid who looked like him because he was dead, but on the third occasion I went up to him to say hi and he coldly told me "Go away, I'm not allowed to speak to you anymore". A few other friends also saw him, and those who approached him got the same reaction. They also agreed he was acting cold, as if he was angry or hated us. Some of my friends said he looked scary (the complete opposite of what he was like before he "died").
I never found out what was up with that. I don't know who that woman with him was, why he did not want to talk to us, or even why the teachers told us he died.
Edit: For what it's worth, I think he was being abused, it was so bad the school would rather tell us kids he died than the truth (which is pretty creepy when you think of it, I'm sure they could have found a better explanation), and he was taken in by social services or a relative (that mystery woman might have been a social worker or an aunt who took him in). Someone must have deemed it was better for him to be taken out of school as well for whatever reason (he might have been placed in another school, or he became home schooled). But that's just my own assumptions, I really have no way to know what happened to him.

Yikes, that's pretty weird. At least the kid was still alive.

Since most of the messages here aren't "It Happened To Me", I've created a new post specifically for the Reddit Links we've all been sharing here.

I might just merge this one with that one at some point.

Anywho, the first post has some great links within, so have fun diving down the rabbit hole!

Edit: James beat me to it.... http://forum.forteantimes.com/index...hive-of-ihtm-style-stories-from-reddit.63129/

Last edited:

Attachments

• CCA9EB20-74FA-4FD7-9405-54C62AB210D4.png
    CCA9EB20-74FA-4FD7-9405-54C62AB210D4.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 18
Meanwhile, a few weeks later, I’m still picking through this for bedtime reading ;)
Whilst I was aware of NSFW I had not previously come across NSFL (life). Some spectacularly unpleasant imagery in there if you dig around a bit. Still, i can’t stop myself :nails:.

It appeared I'd experienced a slight glitch a couple of days ago.

I was warming something up in the microwave and as the timer passed the ten second mark I watched the numbers counting down:

00:05
00:04
00:03
00:02
00:01
00:00
00:01!
00:02!

The numbers were going back up! "What the Dickens?", thinks I...then the counter stopped, apparently stuck on two seconds remaining.

My first thought was that this was either a broken microwave or one of those matrixy things. But it wasn't. I'd been heating a cheeky late night snack and it just happened that as the cooking ended the time had been one minute and 59 seconds past midnight :)

But it wasn't. I'd been heating a cheeky late night snack and it just happened that as the cooking ended the time had been one minute and 59 seconds past midnight :)

Did it take you the full 60 seconds to work out what was going on (00:03) or did the penny drop sooner?

Ha! Not quite - that would've been quite funny :) As luck would have it I happened to glance at the analogue wall clock and realised (a) that is was just gone midnight and (b) I'd been looking at the time not the timer - there are no little icons on the oven's LED display to indicate which information is showing - and I was listening to a podcast through earphones and didn't hear the 'ping'.

So my bewilderment probably only lasted about 15 seconds :)

I had a glitch this morning that was nearly going to be in the "strange people" thread.

i got the bus to work this morning and on the opposite side and in front of me was a woman I thought might be a colleague so I was glancing over occasionally, trying to work out if it was her or not. This is how I noticed the woman sitting behind her who was grinning. Now sometimes I sit listening to podcasts which make me laugh or I might just randomly think of something funny but this woman seemed to be sitting throughout the journey with a permanent fixed grin on her face. When she got up to get off, she had to turn to face me to go down the stairs and she still had the fixed grin.

I was sitting pondering this and wondering whether to bother posting in "strange people" or not when the bell rang...and Grinny got up and walked down the bus to get off. When she turned to go down the stairs, she didn't have the grin as such but merely an enigmatic smile.

Spooky or what!:litg:

I had a glitch this morning that was nearly going to be in the "strange people" thread.

i got the bus to work this morning and on the opposite side and in front of me was a woman I thought might be a colleague so I was glancing over occasionally, trying to work out if it was her or not. This is how I noticed the woman sitting behind her who was grinning. Now sometimes I sit listening to podcasts which make me laugh or I might just randomly think of something funny but this woman seemed to be sitting throughout the journey with a permanent fixed grin on her face. When she got up to get off, she had to turn to face me to go down the stairs and she still had the fixed grin.

I was sitting pondering this and wondering whether to bother posting in "strange people" or not when the bell rang...and Grinny got up and walked down the bus to get off. When she turned to go down the stairs, she didn't have the grin as such but merely an enigmatic smile.

She may have had a good night.

Bloody hell. Similar thing happened to me years and years back. I was going to sign on, and had just got off the bus in a local bus station. Looked up to the top deck of the nearest bus and there just happened to be this woman I couldn't stop staring at because she looked like my mum - who had been dead almost a decade by then. I knew it wasn't her but she just looked so much like her, in the way that happens after someone dies, you start seeing lookalikes everywhere.

Anyway, she looks straight at me and - this horrendous grin/smile. Looked like she was laughing. Shat me right up. I do still think about it occasionally. It was a rictus grin, thing, almost like Jack Nicholson in 'The Shining'. I assumed she was a person with mental health issues. I knew it wasn't my mum. Just someone who coincidentally looked quite a lot like her.

Anyway, she looks straight at me and - this horrendous grin/smile. Looked like she was laughing. Shat me right up. I do still think about it occasionally. It was a rictus grin, thing, almost like Jack Nicholson in 'The Shining'. I assumed she was a person with mental health issues. I knew it wasn't my mum. Just someone who coincidentally looked quite a lot like her.
Yargh! That has given me the heeby jeebies.

Possibly might explain the grinning but not so much the getting off the bus twice!

Lottery winner.

Here's a first-hand UFO story from George Clinton, i.e. Dr. Funkenstein

We were driving into Toronto together and were contacted by a UFO. We saw a flashing light hit the ground first in front of our car. Three of four minutes later we saw it again two times, hit the street. Then the light hit the car and the light turned to liquid like mercury from a thermometer, beaded up and rolled off the car. All the street lights went out slowly as we passed. We looked behind us it was dark. Bootsy wasn't scared, he thought I knew what was going on. We weren't high, because he just crossed the border. We eventually arrived home and walked in the house and my daughter said, you all acting like you just saw a ghost! I didn't even think about it until later, why were we seeing light in daylight. I had to call Bootsy to confirm what time of day it was. We lost a lot of time that day and didn't realize it until years later.

Back