• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

It's an odd one, but it's sadly lacking in enough detail.

I'm not totally clear on why the height was an issue - because it could have been that the room went up over two floors (think of something like an old stairwell, perhaps - lots of times buildings had to hastily cram in a disabled toilet when regulations changed, and it could be that something like that was the only place to put it?)

The poster didn't clarify what actually was on the other side of the wall, so we can't know for sure whether the windows were out of place or not. He didn't even say if there was bathroom stuff in there - toilet, sink, etc.

If it was me I would have gone back outside the door, waited a few seconds then went back in to see if it were still the same :D
he said that the outside dint look like the inside, thats pretty damming for me

I inadvertently started one this morning that really took off. Some really good stories in there....

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/...useerie_towns_disappearing_diners_and_creepy/

Good work!

I was particularly intrigued by this one from user sweetrhymepurereason :

"When I was about 12, my mom and I were traveling cross country to move. We were staying the night in Missouri, at a typical roadside hotel next to an Applebee’s, so we went in for dinner. It was packed, despite us being one of only a couple guests at the hotel, so we sat up at the bar. We noticed something weird after a few seconds - every single person had a glass of milk in front of them. Even the dudes around the bar. Nothing else, just a tall glass of milk. Someone opened the fridge under the center bar and we saw just gallons of milk. The bartender took our dinner orders and brought each of us a glass of milk without us asking for anything to drink. It was so fucking weird. My mom told me not to drink it.

On our way back to our room my mom stopped at the front desk and asked the woman working there, half-jokingly and half-concerned, why everyone drinks so much milk in this town. The woman said she had no idea what she was talking about and we just moved on. When we were putting our leftovers in the mini fridge up in our room, there were like ten mini-cartons of milk. No brand, just the word MILK in black lettering.

It was a weird place and I’ve never been able to figure it out.

Edit: This happened 17 years ago, but it was a pretty formative experience during a really weird road trip. I recently posted on this account about a different strange hotel experience we had in Texas. So! A) The Applebee’s and hotel were both off I-70. I always remembered it being Missouri, but a family member of mine seems to think it was another state, maybe Kansas. B) I had a glass of water along with my milk, and the water in the hotel worked just fine. C) When my mom said something like “oh, no thanks, water is fine” when the bartender set down the glasses of milk in front of us, I remember he sort of chuckled and shook his head like she was joking.

Edit 2: Until my mother passed away last year, this was one of the key stories we’d trot out at dinner parties and family gatherings. I’m sure that over the years, additions and subtractions were made to the story. That’s just what happens over time. This thread isn’t about dismantling posts and searching for the ultimate truth, but if it is, it’s certainly not the place for me. I don’t really want anyone to find out what dang Applebee’s this took place in because then it’s not a special story anymore. If I keep wracking my brain trying to search for tiny details from a decade ago I’ll do all of us a disservice. Let’s keep an open mind together. That’s the best part about these threads: belief in something weird and inexplicable is one of the most fun aspects of reddit. Thanks /u/MercuryCrest for such a fun thread! I love everyone’s posts."

Good work!

"When I was about 12, my mom and I were traveling cross country to move. We were staying the night in Missouri, at a typical roadside hotel next to an Applebee’s, so we went in for dinner. It was packed, despite us being one of only a couple guests at the hotel, so we sat up at the bar. We noticed something weird after a few seconds - every single person had a glass of milk in front of them. Even the dudes around the bar. Nothing else, just a tall glass of milk. Someone opened the fridge under the center bar and we saw just gallons of milk. The bartender took our dinner orders and brought each of us a glass of milk without us asking for anything to drink. It was so fucking weird. My mom told me not to drink it.

On our way back to our room my mom stopped at the front desk and asked the woman working there, half-jokingly and half-concerned, why everyone drinks so much milk in this town. The woman said she had no idea what she was talking about and we just moved on. When we were putting our leftovers in the mini fridge up in our room, there were like ten mini-cartons of milk. No brand, just the word MILK in black lettering.

Edit: This happened 17 years ago, but it was a pretty formative experience during a really weird road trip. I recently posted on this account about a different strange hotel experience we had in Texas. So! A) The Applebee’s and hotel were both off I-70. I always remembered it being Missouri, but a family member of mine seems to think it was another state, maybe Kansas. B) I had a glass of water along with my milk, and the water in the hotel worked just fine. C) When my mom said something like “oh, no thanks, water is fine” when the bartender set down the glasses of milk in front of us, I remember he sort of chuckled and shook his head like she was joking.

Edit 2: Until my mother passed away last year, this was one of the key stories we’d trot out at dinner parties and family gatherings. I’m sure that over the years, additions and subtractions were made to the story. That’s just what happens over time. This thread isn’t about dismantling posts and searching for the ultimate truth, but if it is, it’s certainly not the place for me. I don’t really want anyone to find out what dang Applebee’s this took place in because then it’s not a special story anymore. If I keep wracking my brain trying to search for tiny details from a decade ago I’ll do all of us a disservice. Let’s keep an open mind together. That’s the best part about these threads: belief in something weird and inexplicable is one of the most fun aspects of reddit. Thanks /u/MercuryCrest for such a fun thread! I love everyone’s posts."

I just came here post this very story. It's exactly the kind of strangeness that I love the most.

Good work!

Maybe the water in that town wasn't that safe to drink?
Pretty weird, eh.

My bet is that either:

(a) This incident occurred on a Sunday or holiday when alcohol sales were prohibited locally, or
(b) It may have been a local protocol / routine related to a campaign to liberalize Kansas liquor laws (which happened in 2003).

I suspect the incident was in Kansas. As of 2001 Kansas had the strictest alcohol laws in the USA, and there were still more than a dozen counties within the state that were 'dry' (prohibited alcohol vending entirely).

The 'all milk' bit may have been a deliberate sort of protest thing or a local joke.

Another possible explanation is that the 'all milk' bit was associated with some protest or campaign related to local dairy producers. Kansas is a substantially bigger dairy producer than Missouri, but neither is among the top 10 dairy states in the USA. If there was some issue or conflict associated with dairy production, prices, etc., it wouldn't be all that unusual for locals to do something like this.

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_Missouri
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_Kansas

'Lost in the woods'.

I have some woods near me where I walk my dogs maybe ten times a year. They're only a few acres in size but I get lost almost every single time, even when I walked there the week before. Trees change a lot with the seasons and new paths appear and disappear depending on how much mud there is.

That or all woods are made of elastic.

'Lost in the woods'.

I have some woods near me where I walk my dogs maybe ten times a year. They're only a few acres in size but I get lost almost every single time, even when I walked there the week before. Trees change a lot with the seasons and new paths appear and disappear depending on how much mud there is.

Rubber trees.

'Lost in the woods'.

When I used to walk my dogs in some largeish woods we'd often meet people who were lost in there. Baffled me as the wood is a long narrow shape so all you needed to do was find a fence and follow it and you were out. Some years ago new paths were laid so surely if people stuck to those they'd be OK? Nope.

When I used to walk my dogs in some largeish woods we'd often meet people who were lost in there. Baffled me as the wood is a long narrow shape so all you needed to do was find a fence and follow it and you were out. Some years ago new paths were laid so surely if people stuck to those they'd be OK? Nope.
The Mrs freaked out in Holt woods a few months back which is the same shape you've just described. To be fair to her, I spent half my childhood playing in woods and she didn't and it was me who decided to go off the path .. but I still had to tell her "We're in Norfolk, not America .. we just head towards the sound of those cars or ten minutes tops in any direction". As if the Blair Witch was there and sending us in circles or something?. She still swears to this day she 'rescued' us and got us out. She's my hero! :kiss:

There's a bit of woodland in between her workplace and the beach and people manage to get lost in that as well. The paths are very twisty turny but still, all you need to do is walk towards the beach area or away from the beach? ..

Last edited:
Not weird, but nifty detective work by a Reddit reader:

Reddit sleuth identifies car part leading to hit-and-run arrest

_102976648_washington.jpg

US Police have made an arrest in a fatal hit-and-run case after an obscure part of a car headlight was identified by a social media user.

On Thursday 9 August, Washington State Police appealed on Twitter for information after a cyclist was hit by an unidentified black vehicle.

Officers shared a photograph of a small piece of metal recovered at the scene.

However, it was after the image was posted to Reddit that a breakthrough came.

The photograph was shared in the sub-Reddit "WhatIsThisThing", which is dedicated to determining obscure objects, plants and animals.

Jeff, who goes by the user name /u/JeffNuts, responded to the post, identifying the black piece of metal as a section of a "Chevy Silverado headlamp bezel".

I inadvertently started one this morning that really took off. Some really good stories in there....

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/...useerie_towns_disappearing_diners_and_creepy/

I like this one - not lost time but found time.

Late to this party, but that's okay because this story still makes me "???". My college and my parents' house were a 5.25 to 5.5 hour drive from each other. I made the drive probably 25 to 30 times over the 4 years I was in college.

But one time, as I was driving home, I realized I already at the halfway point town. I hadn't left school in time for that to happen. So I looked at my car's clock: 6:30. I looked at my watch: 6:30. I looked at my phone: 6:30. But I had left school at 5:30. I started to doubt that was correct, but then I checked the text I sent to my parents to tell them I was leaving school and confirmed that I left at 5:30. There had been no time change (DLS or crossing time zones), so I really started to think about it and the last time I could remember seeing was a turn that I had never seen before and oddly thinking that it might cut down on drive time. (This is a really simple state road system.) After that, the last thing I could remember was seeing a gas station with a very particularly painted semi parked in the parking lot...and then nothing for a long time...and then looking at my clock and realizing it was 6:30.

To this day, I could draw you a picture of what the road branching off that I took looked like and I could draw you a picture of the gas station and the semi truck. But I have no idea how I lost ended up making it about an hour faster on a road that most certainly does not exist. This happened my junior year, so I had already made the drive many times, had never seen the road, and made the drive many more times, only to never see the road again. The road exists on no map and it's big enough that it would have to.

That night, I made the rest of the drive seriously not understanding how it happened, how I blanked out, or how I was early. When I arrived home early, my parents were surprised because they were expecting to have to stay up later to see me. I told them what happened and they didn't understand, which is understandable.

I just want to know where or what that road is.

I guess I should add that our little group of 5 houses is unknown to most people who live in our village. We are not far from the villiage centre (half a mile across fields) but we are on the other side of the river and it is a mile and a half detour down tracks to get to us in a vehicle - most people think the track only leads to a disused slate quarry.

I guess I should add that our little group of 5 houses is unknown to most people who live in our village. We are not far from the villiage centre (half a mile across fields) but we are on the other side of the river and it is a mile and a half detour down tracks to get to us in a vehicle - most people think the track only leads to a disused slate quarry.
Splendid isolation!
The best place to be in the event of a breakdown in civilisation.

Good work!

Oh that's a good one, I love reading stories like that. They're so mundane in some ways, yet totally bizarre at the same time. (Reminds me of one I read once, somewhere, about a seafood restaurant where everyone was just sitting there, in their bibs with pictures of lobsters on, waiting for food..)

And the milk cartons having nothing but the work MILK on them? It makes me think of some props or something... not like in a film, but almost... like whoever was in charge was trying to create a facsimile of what milk cartons should look like, but without knowing all the details.

4chan is usually a bad place to find credible paranormal stories, most of them are fiction, but the details on this one makes me think that its the real deal:
http://i.4cdn.org/x/1537644547008.png

Ooh, dunno about anyone else but I wouldn't trust clicking on a 4chan link, sorry. I've heard bad things about that site. Any chance you can quote the text at all, or at least give a snippet?

That was my initial reaction too. I was going to say it is just an image from their CDN (content delivery network) due to the file extension being .png but I just clicked it and was redirected to a CAPTCHA. Definitely not going to fill that out.

Ooh, dunno about anyone else but I wouldn't trust clicking on a 4chan link, sorry. I've heard bad things about that site. Any chance you can quote the text at all, or at least give a snippet?
i have no idea how to do that, there are probally alternative links somewhere in the web but i don't know where to find them

Back